Looking For Some Help With Organic Studios Aristotle

WayTooManyHobbies

Has anyone else had issues with Organic Studios Aristotle? I love the color, and its behavior on even bad papers is exemplary. However, it has been an extremely dry ink, with startup problems occurring no matter which pen I try it in. I know that, as an iron gall ink, Aristotle will demand good pen hygiene but cleaning and refilling every other day seems a bit much.

Any suggestions? Would dilution help? I've tried the ink in a number of pens that are usually quite wet, including Noodler's Konrad, a Pilot Cocoon (Metropolitan), and a Hero 616, but each of them become unusable after a day or two. R&K Salix has not shown similar issues in the Cocoon.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• WayTooManyHobbies

• doggonecarl

• flexnib

Top Posters In This Topic

I've experienced the same hardstarting issues as you have. I don't have a solution, but I am thinking about mixing a small amount of Aristotle in with a free flowing ink, perhaps Parker Quink Blue Black and see if there is any measurable improvement it water resistance.

Hi,

I haven't even speed dated Aristotle, but the dry nature of I-G inks can be overcome by adding the merest whisper of a surfactant used as a 'wetting agent' for processing of B&W film, such as Ilford Ilfotol or Kodak Photo-Flo. If you use ''Kodak' as a searchword in the Search tool, other relevant prior posts should be summoned.

Blending with a bit of wetter ink certainly can work, but a 'safe' blend is not a sure result; and some of the admirable properties of an I-G may be compromised. (But that didn't stop yours truly from giving it a whirl - you won't know until you find out.)

Bye,

S1

__ __

ESSRI Recipes 1 - 8 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/223337-essri-mixes/page__view__findpost__p__2219295

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

OS makes it's own flow enhancer, so that should be safe to use. I've used it on some PR inks and it has radically improved the flow...but 'uh I used radically more than the recipe called for..start small then add.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I mixed Parker Blue Black with OS Aristotle roughly five to one in a fairly wet writing medium-nibbed Kaweco Sport and so far so good. Flow is nice, with a little shading. While not as permanent as straight Aristotle, it is more resistant than straight Quink Blue Black.

I will report back with how well or poorly it starts after sitting.

Hi,

I haven't even speed dated Aristolstle, but the dry nature of I-G inks can be overcome by adding the merest whisper of a surfactant used as a 'wetting agent' for processing of B&W film, such as Ilford Ilfotol or Kodak Photo-Flo. If you use ''Kodak' as a searchword in the Search tool, other relevant prior posts should be summoned.

Blending with a bit of wetter ink certainly can work, but a 'safe' blend is not a sure result; and some of the admirable properties of an I-G may be compromised. (But that didn't stop yours truly for giving it a whirl - you won't know until you find out.)

Bye,

S1

__ __

ESSRI Recipes 1 - 8 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/223337-essri-mixes/page__view__findpost__p__2219295

What a fantastic idea. Found my bottle added 2 drops to ink refilled pen and it writes like a dream. Could not be happier. Thanks

OS makes it's own flow enhancer, so that should be safe to use. I've used it on some PR inks and it has radically improved the flow...but 'uh I used radically more than the recipe called for..start small then add.

I haven't even speed dated Aristolstle, but the dry nature of I-G inks can be overcome by adding the merest whisper of a surfactant used as a 'wetting agent' for processing of B&W film, such as Ilford Ilfotol or Kodak Photo-Flo. If you use ''Kodak' as a searchword in the Search tool, other relevant prior posts should be summoned.

That's an interesting option - I wouldn't have even thought to look for such a thing. I don't see a flow enhancer on Organic Studios web site, but it is listed at Pen Boutique so I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

What a fantastic idea. Found my bottle added 2 drops to ink refilled pen and it writes like a dream. Could not be happier. Thanks

:bunny01:

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I-G's can be dry ... appropriate that Diamine Registrar's Ink is shortened to DRI.

I would never mix I-G ink with non-I-G ink.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan