The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fountain Pen Care: Platinum 3776 Celluloid

pen care platinum celluloid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tinevisce

Tinevisce

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:50

Hi, so about a month or so ago- a big shout out to Hari, if you're reading this, you were a huge help- I got my first "expensive" fountain pen- the Platinum Celluloid.
It's beautiful, amazing and all sorts of sunshine and rainbows (but that's for another topic); but I'm a bit leery of not being able to take proper care of it.

I use it- currently- with the Diamine green black ink, and so far, it doesn't seem like anything that would corrode or choke up the pen.
Regardless, when I do rinse the pen out, I'd like to know the proper way of doing it:

A ) Water Temperature: My head forever associates a higher temperature with better cleansing. So should I use lukewarm water for rinsing, or would that damage the feed? Or does that not matter at all?

B ) Detergent: Is it OK if I add a tiny bit of detergent to the water, or should I be concerned about damage?

Thanks!

Edited by Tinevisce, 18 May 2014 - 04:09.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cerbervs

Cerbervs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:17

YOu can use hot water, but do not use boiling water, because that could just flat out melt the feed. Putting detergent in the water will make the water work like a pen flush. So detergent is ok, just make sure to flush the (diluted) detergent out with water so there is no residue.

Edited by Cerbervs, 18 May 2014 - 04:18.

#3 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:18

Lukewarm water should be fine.

As for detergent, it's probably unnecessary if your pen has no flow issues. It won't damage the pen itself, but may remove any silicone grease present in the converter (which will make the converter more stiff to use).

In general higher temperatures are associated with better cleaning - at least in terms of bacteria, moulds etc. You would have to be using quite high temperatures for an extended period of time for it to have any effect....So when it comes to FPs, I wouldn't really worry too much about the heat, unless you're using boiling water for some reason. Cold water should clean your pen just as effectively.

#4 NKessler

NKessler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:14

As the two people above me have stated, heat is not necessary and will generally do more harm than good.  Detergent is just fine as long as you rinse very well, but it will remove any silicone grease lubricating the converter.  Because of this, I generally only use detergent when my pen is actually in need of a serious cleaning so I can also do all the lubricating I need to do without feeling like I'm wasting silicone grease and over-working my pens.

#5 ceac

ceac

Great minds discuss ideas - Small minds discuss people

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:53

cold/luke warm water with a bit of amonia .... But always thouroughly flush with just water afterwards

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen care, platinum, celluloid

Sponsored Content

|