The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conklin, Identification Assistance

conklin vintage id

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 22:05

While putting my pens in order, I am trying to identify the model of this Conklin.  Can anyone help?

Attached Images

• conklin 1.jpg
  • conklin 3.jpg
  • conklin 5.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:22

I have one of these in a brown and pearl stripe, but the section at the bottom is in amber rather than green. I'm no expert, but I've been calling it a Symetric cushion point. I think they are quite a late Conklin pen.

#3 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:05

Thanks for your reply.   I read that the Symetric has a narrow end and didn't think this one does.  But I really can't clearly distinguish between the 3 models I see on line.

I have one of these in a brown and pearl stripe, but the section at the bottom is in amber rather than green. I'm no expert, but I've been calling it a Symetric cushion point. I think they are quite a late Conklin pen.

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2014 - 15:35

Someone suggested to me once that it might be a Nozac, but I thought they were only made with either pistons/plungers or with a very tiny lever with a round top. I think the Nozac also came with a double gold band on the cap, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone here can identify it correctly for us both!

#5 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 16:11

Have you looked at pen.hero

http://www.penhero.c...lin/Conklin.htm

I keep going back to it but still seem uncertain how to identify this Conklin. 

I do hope someone does know.

#6 Happy Harry

Happy Harry

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:33

It's a Glider and made in Chicago. Thebest thing about them was a lot carried Toledo 14ct Cushion Point nibs ( I can't tell if yours does) otherwise not the usual Conklin Toledo quality.The gold plating wears easily as well but the plastic is very durable and it came in a few attractive color combinations ( maybe 4?). Your appears to be in very good condition btw. On a broader note you can generally tell the Chicago pens by the lever shape as above (the Toledo ones have a round end on the lever) although some sub brands out of Toledo also carried that lever shape ( All American, Crescent and Ottawa). They did make Nozacs in Chicago ( probably from  parts they moved when it changed hands) and they are not that common neither are some of the Chicago Enduras ( again probably a lot of Toledo made parts) and are generally good quality. Hope that helps.

#7 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:26

Many thanks for this great identification.  The nib says, "Conklin, Chicago, 14K" but I wouldn't recognize a Toledo Cushion point from a more traditional nib.

It writes well and the body is in good condition.  However, when filling it over the weekend, recapping it and then opening it again, the nib fell out on my work table.  I slipped it back it and have been gingerly watching over it because the first release of the nib may have easily resulted in its loss.

I do appreciate your solving this mystery for me.

It's a Glider and made in Chicago. Thebest thing about them was a lot carried Toledo 14ct Cushion Point nibs ( I can't tell if yours does) otherwise not the usual Conklin Toledo quality.The gold plating wears easily as well but the plastic is very durable and it came in a few attractive color combinations ( maybe 4?). Your appears to be in very good condition btw. On a broader note you can generally tell the Chicago pens by the lever shape as above (the Toledo ones have a round end on the lever) although some sub brands out of Toledo also carried that lever shape ( All American, Crescent and Ottawa). They did make Nozacs in Chicago ( probably from  parts they moved when it changed hands) and they are not that common neither are some of the Chicago Enduras ( again probably a lot of Toledo made parts) and are generally good quality. Hope that helps.

#8 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:23

Many thanks Happy Harry, you have made me very happy  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conklin, vintage, id

Sponsored Content

|