The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Advice For A Vintage Cross Century Classic

cross century cross vintage

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 19:57

Hello! I was recently given a Cross Century Classic in absolutely terrible shape. The actual barrel and cap of the pen are in very good condition, but the ink was left in it, and the nib was covered in dry ink and there was corrosion along the trim ring closest to the nib. I did my best to clean it up. I soaked it and brought it back to life. However, the cartridge doesn't stay snug inside of the pen for some reason and I'm afraid it will come out. I'm not sure if the cartridge was worn and that is the reason, or what the deal is. The pen is practically identical to the one in this post: http://www.fountainp...classic-review/

Does Cross accept Standard International cartridges? And does anyone have any more information on this pen? 

If it does not accept standard cartridges, where would I buy a converter for it? (Hopefully it doesn't cost too much) Thank you! :)

Sponsored Content

#2 UK Mike

UK Mike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 21:13

The Cross Century does NOT take International cartridges - they have their own. Amazon would be able to source the converter and cartridges or try somewhere like Goulet Pens etc. (Not in the USA myself but most pen retailers should be able to supply or at least advise)

Take care when cleaning the nib because the feed can break inside the section leaving you with a nib that will spin freely inside the section but not come out. Cross no longer have spare parts for this pen but if it breaks, A.T. Cross pens of this vintage had a genuine lifetime guarantee and if you write a suitably pleading letter, they are likely to replace the pen with a brand new one and on request will also return the old pen as a keepsake.

The steel nibs on the Cross pens are ok, but nothing spectacular, however the gold nibs are excellent in my experience.

Edited by UK Mike, 11 May 2014 - 21:19.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

#3 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 21:14

The original Cross Century takes only Cross cartridges or the green Cross converter.

I would get a new package of cartridges,

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B002H9W8K2/

or get a green converter if you want to use bottled ink.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B003H0ZTOW

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#4 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 23:02

Is there any way to actually remove the nib from the pen in order to clean it thoroughly and make sure there is no remaining residue between the nib and feed from the dried up ink? I gently tried the typical methods without any success. I don't want to end up breaking the pen. :o

#5 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 23:14

NO

You cannot remove the nib from the section w/o damaging it.

Best way is a simple long soak.

Get a tall skinny cup, put a pad in the bottom of the cup, put the section in point down, fill with water, let sit overnight.

In the morning you will see a could of ink on the bottom of the cup. 

Do this a few more times.

www.SFPenShow.com

#6 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2014 - 00:21

I soaked the pen overnight twice, and it seems to have cleared up. Thank you for letting me know they can't be removed! 

#7 atc729

atc729

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2015 - 18:29

I soaked the pen overnight twice, and it seems to have cleared up. Thank you for letting me know they can't be removed!

I recently came across a similar pen, black and gold version, and I am wanting to know if you tried the converter. I had seen in a couple other posts on here that said the green one didn't fit, then I saw some that said it did. I was just curious about your ink situation.

#8 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:39

Lol, so I have popped a cleaning ear bulb syringe trying to flush Cross ;) glad I didn't try to remove nib...
Pen is completely blocked. Any other advice apart from soaking?

Thanks,

Mishka

#9 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 21:56

I recently came across a similar pen, black and gold version, and I am wanting to know if you tried the converter. I had seen in a couple other posts on here that said the green one didn't fit, then I saw some that said it did. I was just curious about your ink situation.

I have definitely tried the green converter. I own half a dozen of these pens and like them very much. The green converter works perfectly well. (OK, as well as converters do work. I have experienced ink adhering to the sides of the converter and ink failing to flow because of a stubborn meniscus. These are the common annoyances that go with converters.) When the pen was introduced there was no other Cross converter.

Any opinion that the green converter doesn't fit, or work, is presumably based on confusion between this pen, the original Cross Century FP, and the much more recent pen being sold under a similar name.

#10 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 21:23

Lol, so I have popped a cleaning ear bulb syringe trying to flush Cross ;) glad I didn't try to remove nib...
Pen is completely blocked. Any other advice apart from soaking?

Thanks,

Mishka

Only if you have an UltraSonic Cleaner (USC).

If not, just soak the section, and change the water when it gets inky.

It may take a while, but it got dried and blocked over many years, so be patient.

You could try using a solution of 1 part ammonia (non sudsy, and non scented) to 9 parts water. 

But make sure that you really rinse out the ammonia solution.

www.SFPenShow.com

#11 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 00:41

The ink had years to harden into the cement that has clogged the pen.  

A few hours of soaking to remedy years of neglect is very optimistic.  

Soak overnight.  Rinse.  Change the water.  Repeat for a month.  

It is possible that the situation, that neglected the pen, may have caused

unseen damage.  Not all patients can be saved.   Sorry.   

What other fountain pens do you have ? 

Edited by Sasha Royale, 28 May 2015 - 00:42.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#12 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:20

Repeat for a month.    

:o

#13 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:06

Actually a month is not bad, without a USC.

I spent an elapsed time of about 3 weeks cleaning a used Parker 51.  And that was mostly soak and eject, 3 or 4 times a day, until the ejected water was coming out clean.  And I had 2 of those that took that long to clean.

Once the soaking has dissolved enough ink so that you can push water through with the bulb syringe, things will go faster.  Then you have flowing water to clean out the pen.

www.SFPenShow.com

#14 Mishka5050

Mishka5050

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:29

Thank you all ;) Progress report: it was a week long soak, water is clear. Feed was blocked and nothing came through. So I have decided to shake the living thing out of it (human sonic cleaner) :) tiny little black dots are coming out and I think that I managed to squeeze a few drops of water through the feed :)

#15 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:36

You could try holding the section feed up under a faucet and see if the flowing water will help.

For a really blocked up pen, a USC is really a blessing to have.

Is there a pen club or other FPN members near you, one of them "might" have an USC?

www.SFPenShow.com

#16 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 21:05

There is the older Cross Century, and then the newer Century Classic. The old one takes the converter, however if you were to get a brand new classic century I hope you like syringe-filling cartridges because that's going to be the only option. Another downside is that, not only does it not take a converter, but it only takes special Cross "slim" cartridges as well.

"Oh deer."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cross century, cross, vintage

Sponsored Content

|