A Hello From Canada & My First Question

Dalimar

Hi and welcome to FPN!

Enjoy :D

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dalimar

• sexauerw

• theverdictis

• HalloweenHJB

Hi, a late welcome from me.

Regarding your question on which ink in which pen: as many of us noticed, I experienced not every ink-pen-nib (-paper) combi is perfect. When I only carried my Lamy with me, I knew what ink I was using of course. Now I always carry 3 pens with me.

The green ink (own blend of Lamy green and Pelikan black) is sufficiently wet to have a nice writing experience with my (green) Montegrappa pen. Easy enough to remember

14083635392_426745fb56.jpg

the Monte Grappa Espressione Amazon Green

I was looking for a very dark red and ended up with Sailor Jentle Grenade. Using it, the colour is a 'close to brown kind of red'. So it perfectly matched my Faber Castel.

14083566961_367e34d925.jpg

the Faber Castell E-motion parquet

Finally, (well, up til today), I started looking for a very dark purple. And one to be used with the (now vacant 'cause the green ink went to the Monte Grappa) Lamy. Strangely enough, the Lamy (with an EF nib) writes broader than the Monte Grappa (with an M nib). So the ink really had to match with the pen/nib. After testing some 10 purples in my favourite pen shop (La Couronne du Compte in Tilburg, Holland. The beautifull pics above also originate from their website if I remember correct), I selected Diamine Grape for my Lamy.

14086763725_0108c6a3b1.jpg

the Lamy studio

So in brief: the colour of the pen kind of matches the ink. And I succeed in limiting my ink collection to one bottle per colour, which makes it easier.

(Is that kind of nerdy, having a hard time imagining the Faber Castel writing in green and the Montegrappa in Brown-red?)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Regarding your question on which ink in which pen: as many of us noticed, I experienced not every ink-pen-nib (-paper) combi is perfect. When I only carried my Lamy with me, I knew what ink I was using of course. Now I always carry 3 pens with me.

The green ink (own blend of Lamy green and Pelikan black) is sufficiently wet to have a nice writing experience with my (green) Montegrappa pen. Easy enough to remember

I was looking for a very dark red and ended up with Sailor Jentle Grenade. Using it, the colour is a 'close to brown kind of red'. So it perfectly matched my Faber Castel.

Finally, (well, up til today), I started looking for a very dark purple. And one to be used with the (now vacant 'cause the green ink went to the Monte Grappa) Lamy. Strangely enough, the Lamy (with an EF nib) writes broader than the Monte Grappa (with an M nib). So the ink really had to match with the pen/nib. After testing some 10 purples in my favourite pen shop (La Couronne du Compte in Tilburg, Holland. The beautifull pics above also originate from their website if I remember correct), I selected Diamine Grape for my Lamy.

the Lamy studio

So in brief: the colour of the pen kind of matches the ink. And I succeed in limiting my ink collection to one bottle per colour, which makes it easier.

(Is that kind of nerdy, having a hard time imagining the Faber Castel writing in green and the Montegrappa in Brown-red?)

The Faber Castell pen pic looks like one I need to own right this instance.

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

The Faber Castell pen pic looks like one I need to own right this instance.

:lol: That happens a lot around here

Welcome to FPN! I'm from Canada as well- a bit north of the GTA, in Markham. :)

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

the Lamy studio

Wow! Those are some lovely pens. I thought of matching the pen to the ink but I have 2 black Lamy pens and 2 TWSBI Diamond 580's - little hard to do :)

What I did do with the TWSBI pens though - the section has a transparent sleeve over the back end of the feed - I inked a small slip of paper and put it between this sleeve and the feed part of the section. I did the same in the body of the Lamy's so that the slip of paper shows through the ink-sight window in the pens.

To all here that have recently welcomed me....Thank you! I think I have found a home for my new hobby (OH gods not another one! LOL I collect European Glass Beads also - some of these can be hundreds of dollars for one bead!)

Namaste,

Dalimar

"All great truths begin as Blasphemies" - George Bernard Shaw

"Better then a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha

"Change only takes place through action, not through meditation and prayer alone" - The Dali Lama

• 2 weeks later...

OK this hobby needs to come with a credit/bank warning.

I now have 5 TWSBI Diamond 580 EF pens (I just love the ease of use of these pens, and the way they write) - A Lamy Al-Star 2013 Satin Black EF - A Lamy Safari Carbon Black EF - 9 Inks - Rhadia pads up the...and I just bought some L!FE Note Books in a vintage style B4 size with the most pleasing ivory coloured paper I have seen to date in quality paper.

I am going broke and I haven't even started on the premium pens yet (still just learning how to write and care for fountain pens :0)

Namaste,

Dalimar

p.s. To all the latest greeters...Thank you. I am really enjoying reading this forum and everyone has been so warm and welcoming.

"Change only takes place through action, not through meditation and prayer alone" - The Dali Lama

Greetings, fellow Canuck! This sounds a bit weird, but I have certain inks that I always load in the same pens. My Hero 616 always has Lamy Green in it; the estebrook always has Noodler's Cayenne, and my Rotring Core always has Noodler's Lexington Grey, Wahl Oxford always has Private Reserve Blue Suede. Maybe I just don't have enough inks to mess me up... I'd better get shopping!

Maybe a little journal with a page for each pen? Jot the ink colour and the date you loaded it? Too obvious?

normally pens will rise yeah I have an interest in having Edison also make me a pen (A slate bodied pneumatic Beumont with a fine flex estimated cost 500 USD way for for a student) but not now... though I may end up with some wooden pens one day... ohh yeah I have a Faber-Castell Ambition in coconut wood though for now I want to experiment in modding so I'll be getting my first Ahab then I'll either give the default nib angel wings for easier flex or just give it a flex dip nib for calligraphy practice

WELCOME TO FPN! :W2FPN:

I'm also kind of new to here, but I can tell you one thing: this is the best fountain pen forum on the internet. You came to the right place.

I don't keep track of anything, so I guess that kind of answered your question.

Well, enjoy. :D

-William Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Welcome. you have come to a great place. People have been superb in sharing insights, knowledge and advice.

Be sure to take some time and explore the different thread/conversations. Even the ones you may not have a particular interest in.

Yes, this can be a somewhat scary hobby, especially if one has a penchant :lol: :lol: for spending money spontaneously. It's so easy to say yes to a particular purchase and then find something else the next day, or even the next minute.

Learn to experiment and to ask questions as well. BUT, before you ask most questions, my advice is to do some research here on FPN and determine if the answer already exists. Just doing the research will help educate you more about other aspects of the hobby. And the learning part is, at times, the best part - imho!

Again, Welcome. An enjoy being among friends.

Namaste

-S-

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 3 weeks later...

welcome sir

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

Hello Dalimar! Greetings from a bit south of you, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.

As for keeping track of pens and inks, I try to keep them in a "color order" that works in my head somehow. Pink-Red-Orange-Gold-Brown-Violet-Blue-Green. We share a number of inks (my new favorites are Diamine Ancient Copper and J. Herbin Rouge Hematite).

Welcome!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and suggestions for cataloging my inks.

I have started to keep an ink journal. I also bought myself some Mnemosyne Maruman Japanese Word Cards to keep an ink swatch book. These cards come in a little single ring held stack and were originally designed for study of Japanese ideograph study. Students would write the character on one side and the meaning on the other and use them like flash cards. The card stock is a nice heavy stock and takes the inks well. Below is the Google search image that gave me the idea originally.

Nemaste,

Dalimar

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/11703109856_a8bb6ffed1_z.jpg

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and suggestions for cataloging my inks.

I have started to keep an ink journal. I also bought myself some Mnemosyne Maruman Japanese Word Cards to keep an ink swatch book. These cards come in a little single ring held stack and were originally designed for study of Japanese ideograph study. Students would write the character on one side and the meaning on the other and use them like flash cards. The card stock is a nice heavy stock and takes the inks well. Below is the Google search image that gave me the idea originally.

Nemaste,

Dalimar

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/11703109856_a8bb6ffed1_z.jpg

Wonderful idea. Handsome collection of ink cards!

I have a large collection so I keep a computerized data base of all of my fountain pens. It was a pretty simple matter to add a report showing just the currently inked pens and what inks were in them, when they were inked, etc.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MQYNYTzDNVNzwz/8392379.0/800/p/Inked_Pens%2C_computer.jpg

But I really prefer using a handwritten list like this one. This is what I take to our monthly Pen Club meetings.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MQYNYTzDNVNzwz/8392380.0/800/p/Inked_Pens%2C_handwritten.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by sexauerw

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006