The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Rough Pelikan 100N Cn/steel Nib--How To Smooth?

pelikan 100n steel nib

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:58

I recently got this wonderful Pelikan 100N but the nib feels like writing with sandpaper or a piece of metal--which it is...

I'm wondering it it just needs to be smoothed and if so, how? I don't have any tools or kit, and have no idea how to do it myself. I'm willing to try it if it's easy and not risky to do.

Or could it be that the nib has oxidized? I don't see a lot of black on it but it's not shiny either. If anyone could give me some pointers, I'd be very grateful. It's currently inked so you might be seeing ink in this picture too...

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 GTOZack

GTOZack

ah that Deaf guy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 13:46

Mylar pad or 12000 grit paper,, check Gouletpens.com   inexpensive 

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort.  B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

#3 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 14:54

Thanks, how many passes would it take to smooth it? Is there info about nib smoothing somewhere?

#4 newlife

newlife

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 15:24

Depends on how badly scratchy your nib is. There's a sticky in this repair section about repair references, you'll surely find everything about nib smoothing there. Maybe you should take a look at the tip if the tines are correctly aligned, if not a nib can be scratchy too.

#5 therecorder

therecorder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 15:45

Watch the videos at the bottom of these two pages:

http://www.gouletpen...-micro-mesh.htm

http://www.gouletpen...-mylarpaper.htm

If your serious about your pen usage/buying/collecting, I would suggest purchasing one of the "Package Sets" (Goulet Pen Cleaning and Tuning Package Set or Goulet Pen Tuning Package Set ) on the following page:

http://www.gouletpen...lies_s/1443.htm

Good luck!  (If you take your time, and use caution, the basic things are simple, and not very dangerous.)

Edited by therecorder, 10 May 2014 - 15:46.

#6 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 17:01

First check out if the tines are aligned. For this you will need a loupe.
No sense grinding a nib if you don't check this out first. Once you grind down the tipping material it will not grow back... ;)

#7 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2014 - 17:07

When using the smoothing pads GO SLOW. Take a couple of passes and then try it out. Don't grind a lot all at once, grind and test a max of 3 times and then stop for at least half an hour. Your brain gets fatigued if you don't . Trust me, i have ruined pens with the micromesh pads. 

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#8 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:53

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i5NImdKrE1k

this guy is cool and will help you !

postcardde9.png

#9 Dr.Grace

Dr.Grace

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 18:58

I second this. In many cases, tine alignment is all that's needed.

First check out if the tines are aligned. For this you will need a loupe.
No sense grinding a nib if you don't check this out first. Once you grind down the tipping material it will not grow back... ;)

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

#10 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 20:23

Thanks for all the links and words of caution. to be honest, I'd rather not have to 'grind it'--that sounds so much more dangerous than smoothing it!

I doubt it's the tine alignment, since I've had that problem with other pens and knows what it feels like. I'm wondering if  it's rust on the nib of the pen.

if so, would smoothing help at all? i'll check out the links first...

#11 h.farmawi

h.farmawi

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2014 - 21:47

On the link above he shows you how to clean the nib from these things alos

postcardde9.png

#12 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:45

95% of the time! the problem is tine related! In other words, the tines are mis-aligned.....

Make sure, as this has already been said above, that you have a good loupe...."I use a 15x lighted loupe"

The pen should be pointed at you like it is going to stab you in the eye 1st, then 2nd, drop in down a bit and check it again!

Between these two angles you should get a good view of the tines, from there you make your decision on where or not it needs adjusting or you can move right into smoothing!

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan 100n, steel nib

Sponsored Content

|