The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wow! A Handwriting-Related Tweet Of Mine Got "favorited" By The Site That It Critiques!

handwriting penmanship cursive italic research news media kate gladstone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KateGladstone

KateGladstone

Handwriting Repairwoman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 16:34

WOW! A handwriting-related message by me got "favorited" BY THE NEWS-MEDIUM that I was countering therewith! See below ... (The news-medium is an education-news service which had been promoting, as fact, a PBS news-segment that misrepresented research on handwriting to make it appear to support cursive.)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Subject: NewsHourAmGrad (@NewsHourAmGrad) favorited one of your Tweets!
To: Kate Gladstone <handwritingrepair@gmail.com>

Kate Gladstone,
Your Tweet got favorited!

Kate Gladstone
@KateGladstone
@NewsHourAmGrad Research shows that #cursive does NOT #help #reading, #language, or #spelling. See "Does (cont) tl.gd/n_1s1lkq1
12:51 AM - 07 May 14
Favorited by
NewsHourAmGrad @NewsHourAmGrad
@NewsHourAmGrad reports with in-depth coverage on the latest in education news. Ideas? Contact ejones AT newshour DOT org

Sponsored Content

#2 theverdictis

theverdictis

TVI

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2014 - 16:41

This has been brought up by my university on my PGCE teaching course. Stating handwriting is fundamental in helping children spell and read etc. France and another E.U. country actual prioritise handwriting to a very high level (good times).

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

#3 KateGladstone

KateGladstone

Handwriting Repairwoman

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 18:52

It is interesting to see that the handwritings of "France and another [unnamed] EU country" were mentioned in your teaching course. Which French handwriting was discussed — the vertical 100%-connected "Ronde" that has been used there for a century or two, or the very different (italic) style that France is now phasing in? Here's a link to the latter: http://luc.devroye.o...onts-59443.html

I'd also like to know what was the other EU nation discussed — the one that you didn't name.

#4 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2014 - 19:41

Geez Kate, I cant help notice that you came into these forums with your pistol loaded, drawn and off safety. May i suggest using a 45 Colt Automatic 1911 A1? The bluntness of the .452 caliber bullet will hazard a persons body and psyche considerably.

I bought a e book not to long ago that taught handwriting rescue and while it did compel me to try and improve my handwriting in a new and improved way, I ended up returning to a cursive - French (?) style hybrid. Simple old palmer drills and practice improved my writing to the point where a local stationer paid me a  compliment.  

For me, writing is zen. Much more is involved in a letter particularly when writing in kanji or katakana than the meaning itself. More is there. 

As for writing as a whole, it really has very little need in present times. US submarines are paperless and seems to function quite well without it (hoping this is very true since many carry massive megatons of thermonuclear explosives on board). I just recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tabpro that has just about killed any reason to write with pen or ink.

Yet I do. I actively seek a reason to. I suspect I am not the only person so inclined.

Edited by RudyR, 08 May 2014 - 19:41.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handwriting, penmanship, cursive, italic, research, news, media, kate gladstone

Sponsored Content

|