Post Your Ebay Hits And Misses

kpyeoman

I just got these two pens for $130, shipped. Did I do well? And it's OK to tell me I was an idiot.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mardi13

• JonSzanto

• OcalaFlGuy

• kpyeoman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got these two pens for $130, shipped. Did I do well? And it's OK to tell me I was an idiot.

Very much more towards the OK side, not idiot.

You didn't get a steal, by any means, but you did get two nice pens. For reference, I have an identical Wahl (GF Greek Key pattern) that I got for $40.00. That said, I see people pay more all the time, so it is what it is, and most of the value is in the nib - lovely writing pen. I can't tell the precise Sheaffer model, but most any of the pens from that era with the inlaid nibs are very nice writers.

What you got, as long as they write to your expectations, are pens that will last and last and give you a great deal of pleasure. If someone had bought them as part of a collection, with intent to sell later, I am not sure how closely you would be to getting your investment back. And I'm happy to hear other thoughts on this, but the bottom line is that you purchased nice pens, not junk, and at fair prices.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm OK with fair prices. The initial prices were much higher than that at "buy it now" but I offered about 30%-40% less and the offers were accepted. So I'm at peace with that. And I have been telling myself that quality at a fair price beats junk at a "steal." The second pen is a Sheaffer Imperial TD w/ a gold filled cap. Nice looking pen, I thought.

My eBay hits were a Parker 75 (Thuya, later model) used in excellent condition, with a twist converter for about $22.00 (shipping included), Blue Laque Parker Sonnet Mk I, used but in excellent condition, for $37.00, shipping included and a Sheaffer Targa 1001 in very good condition for just under $10.00. I believe the Sonnet and Targa were somehow mis-listed, because I was the only bidder.

Dan

The second pen is a Sheaffer Imperial TD w/ a gold filled cap. Nice looking pen, I thought.

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly agree.

DSC00453.JPG

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Lots of good finds and deals! :)

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is located in the Sheaffer sub-forum -- I'm wondering if that can be our focus?

Mardi, I've looked pretty closely at yours a couple times now.

I actually put yours on the list as I had an idea (and I think I was correct) that the crappy pics for Once would aid the bidder. The white balance is off about as bad as it gets though the last 2 shots aren't quite so bad. I thought those first couple pics might chase a few bidders off.

I think even after you add a restore, (I'd suggest Danny Fudge) you'll end up being just slightly past 1/2 what the Other Very Similar OS went for.

Yes you have a 3 initial personalization but that is one of the Less obnoxious personalizations I've seen in awhile. It almost looks like part of the company imprint.

I think you did just fine.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Mardi, if that doesn't have a silicone sac in it already, it needs one ASAP.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Could you message me DF's address? I don't know these folks yet.

And my big score was actually this pen, not from ebay though. Against all of my expectations it looks like new and is in working order. Writes wonderfully. I'm beside myself. It wasn't a steal in the regular sense but heaven knows what it would have gone for on the Bay, I paid $100 for this and a battered little no-name combo.

It has the white dot on the top of the cap.

Edit to add photo

post-112385-0-74854200-1399931621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mardi13

Could you message me DF's address? I don't know these folks yet.

Danny Fudge can be reached at http://www.thewritepen.net/ Just got those pens I posted back from his shop a week or so ago, he is a prince of a guy to deal with, reasonable prices, and fast turnaround.

I love that last Sheaffer flattop. Nice.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Does the green pen need a sac ASAP just because? So I can write with it? Or is there some weird sort of emergency here...a lot of pens have come in here the last couple of weeks and I am a little overwhelmed. There will be no more purchases for awhile, especially if the OS is an OS. That was a grail pen for me. Anyhow, plenty to write with!

Does the green pen need a sac ASAP just because? So I can write with it? Or is there some weird sort of emergency here...a lot of pens have come in here the last couple of weeks and I am a little overwhelmed. There will be no more purchases for awhile, especially if the OS is an OS. That was a grail pen for me. Anyhow, plenty to write with!

Old rubber is fragile, and these pens do not like ink in their innards. Gives nasty corrosion. Silicone is more sturdy.

Old rubber sacs are a time-bomb.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The Green Radite is prone to sulfur outgassing discoloration from the sac.

It's already started up near the threaded area.

The slow discoloration will continue until you get the latex sac out of there.

I'd make it the First pen you send in. Actually, I'd send it in With the Flat top. The same goes for it I think but it's color Now is very good. It is of course possible that they've had a silicone sac put in them, though probably not very likely.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The Flat Top writes, but I haven't tried to take it apart (and the idea scares me.) the sac feels OK but I get what you are saying. I seriously doubt that there is a silicone sac in there, as the person I got it from was not a "pen person." However either it wasn't ever used or was taken great care of by its previous owner, really clean and shiny. The green one doesn't have innards as far as I know, that was going for repair anyhow. When the (crossed fingers) OS gets here I can send them off all together! although it will break my heart to part from the Flat Top! I just looooooove that pen.

When the (crossed fingers) OS gets here I can send them off all together! although it will break my heart to part from the Flat Top! I just looooooove that pen.

Good plan. One of the problems is that if you start using them and don't send them in, you'll get used to them and never do it. Just do it all now and you'll be happier in the future, and if you use Danny, you shouldn't be without your pens for more than about 2 weeks.

~ Benjamin Franklin