J. Herbin Vs. Atelier Gargoyle - Sealing Wax Prizefight!

LostArk

Waxes used:

- J. Herbin supple wax, Ivory

- Atelier Gargoyle sealing wax, Ivory

Paper used:

- G. Lalo Verge de France 100g laid paper (envelope)

Method:

- Chunk of wax placed in brass spoon and heated over a denatured alcohol lamp.

Round 1 - Detail

The impression made in the J. Herbin wax (left) has what I would describe as "higher acutance," thus appearing "sharper;" however, there is no less detail in the Atelier Gargoyle impression.

http://i.imgur.com/RTxnQEzl.jpg

Winner: Tie

Round 2 - Mailability

I conducted this test in two phases. In phase one, I slowly folded the envelope through the middle of the seal. The J. Herbin wax cracked a fold angle of around 60°, while the Atelier Gargoyle wax did not crack, even when folded 180° and the paper creased; impressive!

http://i.imgur.com/wdhshzLl.jpg

In phase two, to simulate postal sorting machines, I passed the seals through a vegetable peeler.

http://i.imgur.com/JCZLFzel.jpg

The J. Herbin wax did not fare the vegetable peeler well. The Atelier Gargoyle wax remained intact(!) during this test, so I continued mauling the seal with a peeler until the paper actually tore (note the "tear" did not go through the lining of the envelope). I believe even this could have been avoided if there weren't so much "blobbage" protruding from the seal (my fault).

http://i.imgur.com/xjRa2G3l.jpg

Winner: Atelier Gargoyle

Round 3 - Properties

Specific heat:

The J. Herbin wax has a markedly lower specific heat than the Atelier Gargoyle. The former (using my method) easily overheats, causing bubbles to occur. I found the latter immune to accidental overheating; however, it did cause the seal used to make the impression to get hotter. Both drawbacks can be mitigated with various techniques.

Viscosity:

The J. Herbin wax is much more viscous at a given temperature. I found it possible to pour the J. Herbin wax onto the page and "sift" the paper to form the correct blob shape. With the Atelier Gargoyle wax, I found it easer to use the spoon or the wax stick itself to shape the blob. I prefer the less viscous Atelier Gargoyle, but it's really a matter of preference.

Smell:

I didn't think I'd be including this one till I noticed the Atelier Gargoyle wax smelled like yummy incense. The J. Herbin wax smells like burning wax - not a bad, but not better!

Winner: Tie

IV. Cost

Each stick of Atelier Gaygoyle wax is, as measured by eye, at least double the volume of each stick of J. Herbin wax. Thus, the Atelier Gargoyle wax is 25% cheaper by volume.

Conclusion

For use on documents or anything that won't be on the exterior of a piece of mail, I would be happy to use either wax, though I would prefer the Atelier Gargoyle. It has superior properties, smells delicious, is cheaper, and is sold by the very friendly proprietors of ateliergargoyle.com (no affiliation).

Edited by LostArk

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JakobS

• LostArk

• Anneleen

• Barkingpig

What an extensive comparison! You've done a really nice job on it.

The reason I'm still going for Herbin (though a little less enthusiastically now), is because Herbin is easier to acquire here. For Atelier Gargoyle, to know the price for shipping outside the US, you'd have to mail them first. From my experience with US shipping, it'll be about as much as the cost of the wax sticks themselves.

• 3 years later...

Hmm, looks like I can't just delete a post. Seems like what I was saying before would probably require a premium account, and for some reason they won't take my money on that until I sit and wait 30 days.

Regards,

Harry R. Burger

Lightbringer Designs LLC

Wax Seals, Signet Rings, and Custom Creations

www.lightbringerdesigns.com

Instagram @LightbringerDesigns

Edited by LightbringerDesigns

Thank you for bringing this post to life.

I hadn't read it previously & enjoyed the comparison provided. I have used both waxes & as the USER haven't ever really known which one was the best suited for withstanding the postal equipment necessary for delivery. Because of the colors available from Atelier Gargoyle, I have purchased more of their sticks.

Because of your revival of this post & inclusion of your information, I have just visited your site & placed an order for some nice colors I had not found available previously.

I appreciate your joining our site & hope you will keep us "posted" on further news!

Having used both waxes in the U.S. Mail for a couple dozen letters each I cant say I have been disappointed in either arriving perfectly intact. Though having large amounts of wax can make a seal dramatic, making a thinner seal will allow it to survive the mail, without a drastic, or even noticeable decrease in the interesting aspects of the impression itself.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA