First Fountain Pen

overlander

After quite a bit of researching online, and on this forum, I finally bought my first fountain pen, a Lamy Vista, with a 1.5 stub.

post-112038-0-56888500-1399244305_thumb.jpg

post-112038-0-97335300-1399243859_thumb.jpgpost-112038-0-51608800-1399243864_thumb.jpgI also bought a Fine and Extra Fine nib for normal writing, and some samples :

-Diamine Sapphire Blue (shown in the photos)

-Diamine Majestic Blue

-Private Reserve American Blue (fast dry)

-Private Reserve Electric DC Blue

-Noodler's Baystate Blue

-J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir

I love this pen, and can't wait to delve further into this awesome community. (unfortunately, my wallet isn't so excited)

Thank you all for helping me find my perfect first pen :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• overlander

• SujiCorp12345

• scully012

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. You really did your research. Nice looking pen, smart nib choices, great starter set of inks. Have fun.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Wow. You really did your research. Nice looking pen, smart nib choices, great starter set of inks. Have fun.

Thanks, I will! :D

A nice pen, I hope you enjoy! Those photos are really good, what camera did you take them on? Where are you from?

A nice pen, I hope you enjoy! Those photos are really good, what camera did you take them on? Where are you from?

Thanks! I used a Canon Rebel T3i, with a Tamron 18-270 Lens. And I'm in LA :D

Looks very nice. I'm a newbie to fountain pens as well- what's the difference between the normal nibs such as the fine or extra fine and the 1.5 stub? The dot at the end of the nib?

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Looks very nice. I'm a newbie to fountain pens as well- what's the difference between the normal nibs such as the fine or extra fine and the 1.5 stub? The dot at the end of the nib?

The Stub/Italic Nibs (1.1, 1.5, or 1.9 in the Lamys) have a straight cut tip, instead of a rounded tip, so the italic nibs write in a cool style where the vertical strokes are thick, and the horizontal ones are thin, which looks really cool.

Check out this page for a better explanation:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/flex_italic.htm

SujiCorp, "normal" nibs will write a line that is the same on horizontal and vertical strokes, and are used for normal writing. Stubs (or italics) will write a thin line horizontally, but a wide one vertically. These are typically used for lettering and calligraphy, but can also be used for normal writing (thinner ones).

I would just like to add for anyone that this might help; the extra fine is perfect for tight school notes/math or writing on cheaper paper. The fine is just a tad wider which makes it a good choice for normal writing (medium or maybe even a 1.1 could work as well) and the 1.5 is good for fun writing or a letter.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Fantastic start! Love my Lamy's!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Fantastic start! Love my Lamy's!

Thanks!

What font is that? It looks awesome!

I would just like to add for anyone that this might help; the extra fine is perfect for tight school notes/math or writing on cheaper paper. The fine is just a tad wider which makes it a good choice for normal writing (medium or maybe even a 1.1 could work as well) and the 1.5 is good for fun writing or a letter.

Haha, that's actually very helpful. I actually study math at school, so I was actually thinking of grabbing a Vista with a Fine point. If XF is better for math, I guess I'll definitely be getting the XF! Thanks.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Haha, that's actually very helpful. I actually study math at school, so I was actually thinking of grabbing a Vista with a Fine point. If XF is better for math, I guess I'll definitely be getting the XF! Thanks.

yeah, its definitely better for math (in my opinion) but the tradeoff is slightly more "scratchiness"

Edited by overlander

Just an fyi, Japanese pens tend to run fine, so if you're looking for fine nibs, that might be a good place to start (Lamy is good too, but will probably be wider). I have an older Pilot elite with an EF nib and it's great! Esterbrooks also have some really fine nibs available if you want to get started in vintage pens. (watch out, it's addictive!)

Also, I noticed that the converter that you're using isn't red. Is that the Z26 converter, or are you just using cartridges?

Hello and welcome. I am glad you have joined us. Please make yourself right at home and don't be shy about asking questions or stating your opinions. I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:
I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Kind regards,
VirtuThe3rd

Love to see that your excellent choice is more than functional, but an pen to be enjoyed.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !