The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Izumo; Limited Nib Options..

platinum bb extra road broad nib swap change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sach

Sach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 23:19

I'm really keen on purchasing my first Japanese pen and really like the Platinum urushi Izumo, red coloured pen. The problem is that I want one with an extra broad, BB nib. I know that Japanese broad is more like. Western medium, and medium nibs just don't work with me. I want to have it custom ground to CI. It appears that retailers say that extra broad is not available with this pen, however, Mottishaw's nibs.com do have an extra broad as an option. Any insights into this? Is it possible for retailer to order one from Platinum, or is this not possible.

I really like the pen, but not the rather narrow nib change ( pun intended)...

Edited by Sach, 29 April 2014 - 23:20.

Sponsored Content

#2 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:12

AFAIK, John Mottishaw has a very long-standing relationship with Platinum/Nakaya so it doesn't really surprise me that he could order nibs that might be unavailable to others. Alternatively, Platinum might send him an relatively unfinished nib upon request and allow him to grind it himself to his customer's specifications. 

FWIW, the Izumo looks like a great pen - I'd love to try it someday in red or green! Let us know what happens!

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:23

The Izumo takes a President nib which comes with the BB option.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:35

Course if you wanted one of these two colors, GouletPens is taking 20% off of them with SPRINGCLEANING14 code. 

(The url been modified to just show those two Platinum pens). 

http://www.gouletpen...e=220&maxprice=

#5 perrins57

perrins57

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:41

Although you're right that Platinum nibs are often a size smaller than the European norm, this only applies to the finer end of the nib range. The Japanese Broad and BB are very close to the Euro widths. Check out the comparison scale on Nibs.com

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F,  Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib,  and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, bb, extra road, broad, nib, swap, change

Sponsored Content

|