How To Fix Misaligned Edison Nib And Feed?

Tina Lee

Hi all. I've been having great fun with my new Edison Nouveau Premiere and a 1.1mm stub nib from Goulet Pens.

Today I decided to switch it out to the fine nib I bought from Richard Binder. Unfortunately the 1.1mm nib was screwed in pretty tight by whoever assembled it, and I ended up misaligning the nib and feed. It's pretty noticeable just looking at it.

However, it hasn't seemed to impact ink flow or writing. I tried adjusting the feed back into place with my fingers but it always bounces back to misaligment.

Since the Edison nibs are attached to the feeds, is there any way I can fix this? I'm a novice at all of this... :vbg:

post-112791-0-61578100-1398786675_thumb.jpeg

post-112791-0-35177000-1398787241_thumb.jpeg

Edited to add a clearer picture.

Edited by Tina Lee

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tina Lee

• Aysedasi

• TimGirdler

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watch this video.

Remove the nib and feed, align them, and reinstall. You don't need to unscrew the unit from the section.

As you look in the collar, you'll see there's one way to install it (you'll have to look closely)

Edited by dneal

Since the Edison nibs are attached to the feeds, is there any way I can fix this? I'm a novice at all of this... :vbg:

You sure? I've removed the nibs from the feeds simply by pulling them out..... Unless my memory is playing tricks on me?

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Hi all. I've been having great fun with my new Edison Nouveau Premiere and a 1.1mm stub nib from Goulet Pens.

Today I decided to switch it out to the fine nib I bought from Richard Binder. Unfortunately the 1.1mm nib was screwed in pretty tight by whoever assembled it, and I ended up misaligning the nib and feed. It's pretty noticeable just looking at it.

However, it hasn't seemed to impact ink flow or writing. I tried adjusting the feed back into place with my fingers but it always bounces back to misaligment.

attachicon.gifnib1.jpeg

attachicon.gifphotooo.jpeg

Edited to add a clearer picture.

If you have a loupe, this will be much easier! Here's what I'd do:

1. Look at the nib straight on, as if you were attempting to stab your eye with the tines; see where the nib is sitting on the feed--is it rotated off to the right or left?

2. If it's rotated, grab the nib by the section, putting your thumb on whichever side of the nib is too far rotated, and gently rotate the nib in the opposite direction. Do this until, when looking at the nib straight on, it's centered.

3. IF the nib itself isn't rotated off to one side yet the feed and the nib aren't lined up at the tip, push the tip of the nib gently until it is lined up with the tip of the feed.

4. After this, of course, you'll have to align the tines....

Blessings,

Tim

Edited by TimGirdler

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

I'm trying to pull out the nib + feed like Brian G. did in the video dneal posted, but it won't budge! I'm pulling as hard as I can while trying to be careful of the tines...

Tried using a paper towel for better grip, but it's still stuck in there. Maybe I'll try running it over hot/warm water?

Yes, I'd give it a good flush - perhaps even soak it overnight to get any dried ink out. When I struggle like this, I tend to employ a thick piece of elastic (rubber) band for grip.

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Sometimes, when removing a screw-in nib unit that is in firmly, try holding the nib still and turning the pen. Also, I was taught that whenever you are working a nib in or out, it is best to have the nib in the first crease of the finger with the thumb applying pressure on the feed. With a little work and patience you will get this straightened out, but patience will really be key to not damaging anything. I am sure everyone else will give you the info you need to pull and reset the nib.

If you have an old rubber dishwashing glove or surgical glove, use a piece of that for traction and protecting your hand. Hurts like $%#@ stabbing yourself with a nib. I know this for a fact. If you have a blowdryer that gets pretty hot, try applying some heat after a good soaking. Keep a finger near the area you work on. If it is too hot for the finger it is too hot for the plastic. By the way, if the pen is ebonite (rubber) do not soak it long as the water can discolor the rubber. As can a lot of heat. Good luck.

Edited by AndrewC

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I'm trying to pull out the nib + feed like Brian G. did in the video dneal posted, but it won't budge! I'm pulling as hard as I can while trying to be careful of the tines...

Tried using a paper towel for better grip, but it's still stuck in there. Maybe I'll try running it over hot/warm water?

DO NOT USE HOT WATER!

Cool or lukewarm water is the best. Hot water can damage the feed.

Blessings,

Tim

Sometimes, when removing a screw-in nib unit that is in firmly, try holding the nib still and turning the pen. Also, I was taught that whenever you are working a nib in or out, it is best to have the nib in the first crease of the finger with the thumb applying pressure on the feed. With a little work and patience you will get this straightened out, but patience will really be key to not damaging anything. I am sure everyone else will give you the info you need to pull and reset the nib.

If you have an old rubber dishwashing glove or surgical glove, use a piece of that for traction and protecting your hand. Hurts like $%#@ stabbing yourself with a nib. I know this for a fact. If you have a blowdryer that gets pretty hot, try applying some heat after a good soaking. Keep a finger near the area you work on. If it is too hot for the finger it is too hot for the plastic. By the way, if the pen is ebonite (rubber) do not soak it long as the water can discolor the rubber. As can a lot of heat. Good luck.

Actually, the feed should go in the crease of the index finger on your dominant hand. Your thumb should clamp down on the back of the nib itself.

Blessings,

Tim

The nib assemblies are three pieces - nib, housing, and feed, and yes all three remove for disassembly.

In most cases, a misaligned feed can simply be bumped back into place with no disassembly. Try that first.

If getting the assembly apart proves tough, then a soaking will help. But honestly, if the nib is writing fine, then I'd just bump the feed a little bit, and not try disassembly.

Reach out if you need help. brian@edisonpen.com

The nib assemblies are three pieces - nib, housing, and feed, and yes all three remove for disassembly.

In most cases, a misaligned feed can simply be bumped back into place with no disassembly. Try that first.

If getting the assembly apart proves tough, then a soaking will help. But honestly, if the nib is writing fine, then I'd just bump the feed a little bit, and not try disassembly.

Reach out if you need help. brian@edisonpen.com

Thanks everyone, and thank you Brian!

I honestly could not manage to pull the nib and feed from the housing -- it was stuck too tight. But I did manage to realign the two by gently twisting the nib+feed in a similar way to how they were misaligned: with my thumb on the feed and index finger on the nib, as close to the housing as possible, gently twisting in the direction of misalignment.

That seemed to do the trick for the most part.

Before:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/tinableee/photooo.jpeg

After:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/tinableee/photo1.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/tinableee/photo2.jpg

About 90% better. Will continue to gently tinker.

As long as the pen is writing fine, I would't fret too much. Feeds can be misaligned, and the nib can still write well. The test, of course, is to write with it. If problems occur, make sure to reach out. :)

Great! Thanks again!