The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Baystate Blue Stains

baystate blue stain lamy clean aquarium ammonia bleach

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 overlander

overlander

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:08

My ink samples for my first pen arrived yesterday, and I am still waiting for my first pen to arrive in the mail, a Lamy Vista. When I looked at the ink samples, I noticed immediately that the sample vial of bsb was totally stained with blue, and none of the other samples had any staining at all. With all my research online, I knew that bsb has a reputation, but the color is just so breathtaking! I am now having second thoughts about putting this ink into my pen. If (when) staining occurs in my Vista, will an ammonia solution be able to get it out? I have heard of some issues with using bleach with steel nibs and some rubbers, so I am a bit off put about using bleach.
Also, I don't know how many of you are aquarium people, but I have a bottle of Dr. Tim's brand ammonium chloride solution for "fishless cycling" of a tank; would this work to clean a pen, or should I avoid it?
Sorry for my ramblings here, but hopefully some of you can help me.
Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:40

Staining and BSB go hand in hand, so if staining is a concern, you might want to forego the brightness. By the way, the electrifying brightness does not last terribly long, so it is good for temporary writings and notes.

Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#3 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 14:47

Yes, it will stain. Personal experience.

I had some success using rubbing alcohol to flush, but it is generally a worse idea than leaving it. The alcohol will soften the plastic. This means your crystal clear vista will become a frosted vista as you touch it. Ironically, the inside will stay clear because you don't touch the inside.

This was before I learned about ammonia flushes. The ammonia definitely helps but I don't know if it will flush completely. I had lost my Lamy by that time.

Personally, if you have any reservation, any at all, just don't do it. Get a preppy and use that instead. If you don't mind not seeing the fins of the feed, go ahead.

Meanwhile, this week I'll try bleaching my Ahab piston.

#4 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2014 - 15:46

Keep one pen that only gets BSB in it. It does not play well with other inks. Alcohol in the form of hand sanitizer will remove it, because the gel holds the alcohol to the surface. A stained converter is the price you pay for the joys of inks like BSB, BSCG and Private Reseve Bubblegum.

#5 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:11

+1 on use only in one pen. Do not use another ink in that pen. Other people may say they can switch inks with BSB but I'm too lazy to take that much effort. Pick an inexpensive pen with a nice writing nib in the size you like and put BSB in it and enjoy. I like the nib on a Pilot 78G or Hero 616. usually find them for $12 or less. isellpens.com ebay

I enjoy BSB but like other things in life, I have rules about it.

#6 zombywoof

zombywoof

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:22

I used a Platinum Preppy to play with my BSB samples, it only costs $3-$4.

#7 Biff

Biff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 00:23

I've also just acquired a bottle. I filled the converter of a cheap Kaigelu and it will be my only pen that uses it.

#8 PAHarris

PAHarris

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:18

Sounds like a good idea.  I bought a bottle a few months back ago without knowing about its history for staining pens.   I will now look for a good writer and dedicate it for use with Bay State.  

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,080 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 15:39

Well, another FPNer just posted a great review about cleaners with BSB.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#10 overlander

overlander

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 17:13

So is a bleach solution or an ammonium chloride solution safe for a Lamy Vista?

#11 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:08

Bleach will be safe with the Lamy Vista; I've done it.  Use a mild solution, and BSB should come out pretty well.

I've been using a Vista for ink testing - I can see when it's really clean, and I have all the nib sizes - and haven't had staining problems that I couldn't cure.  BSB took a little bleach.

I've decided BSB lives in the Preppy that came with the big bottle, and in a Jinhao 159, because it writes like a fire hose and I have lots of BSB. (And the look from the medium/very wet nib is quite different than the look from the fine Preppy.)  So another +1 for "dedicated BSB pen."

I think you can clean it out, but is it worth it?

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#12 overlander

overlander

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:13

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'm gonna get the big bottle w/ the preppy and dedicate that to BSB, and use other inks in the vista. Just for future reference though, what bleach dilution ratio would you recommend?

#13 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 00:52

IIRC, Mr. Tardiff suggestsd 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#14 chris.hale

chris.hale

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2014 - 16:27

I have a Vista with a permanently blue section thanks to BSB. It doesn't really show when it's inked, but I can't shift it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baystate, blue, stain, lamy, clean, aquarium, ammonia, bleach

Sponsored Content

|