Tardis Blue

overlander

Are there any blue inks that are close in color to matt smith's tardis? It would be really cool if I could write in "Tardis Blue" I saw there was a thread about this from a while back, but i'm hoping that now in 2014 there are some new inks that could resemble the tardis. Thanks so much :D

post-112038-0-07304200-1398658483_thumb.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AllenG

• grainweevil

• FayeV

• Dottie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any of those three samples you picked would be great, if anyone could find a match.

Diamine Majestic Blue

Private Reserve American Blue

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I would think that the color would be only one part of it. The ink I picture would be flat, little to no shading, and with absolutely no sheen. That leads me to think about Noodler's. Perhaps Blue, Bernanke Blue, Blue American Eel, Ottoman Azure, Liberty's Elysium. I think Midway Blue would have too much of a green tinge.

Edited by mhphoto

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

I have no suggestions beyond those already made but I'll be watching this post - my 15-year old niece successfully persuaded her dad to paint her bedroom door to look like the Tardis, and she's a fountain pen user - I must get her a bottle of the right colour!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I'm not a Doctor Who viewer any more, but when I tried a 50/50 mix of Diamine Sapphire Blue and Asa Blue it immediately made me think Tardis. Of course I may have been remembering the Tardis blue incorrectly at the time, but fwiw.

Cheers, Al

S.T.Dupont's Royal Blue? Levenger's Cobalt? Omas'? Visconti's, Aurora's?, Noodler's "Blue" (very long drying time)? No end in sight here!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

You need a sonic screwdriver fountain pen to go with it.

And River's journal.

Edited by AllenG

You need a sonic screwdriver fountain pen to go with it.

And River's journal.

Great gift idea for a Doctor Who fan. The journal should be easy to find. Ink is easy enough too.

Where can one find a Sonic Screwdriver fountain pen?

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Great gift idea for a Doctor Who fan. The journal should be easy to find. Ink is easy enough too.

Where can one find a Sonic Screwdriver fountain pen?

Walmart of all places has a huge Sonic Screwdriver selection.

I know they have it in ball point, haven't found a proper pen yet though.

Edited by AllenG

Walmart of all places has a huge Sonic Screwdriver selection.

I know they have it in ball point, haven't found a proper pen yet though.

Really? Whowouldathunk. I haven't stepped into a Walmart in years. Meh. A ballpoint would take away the coolness of presenting a bottle of "Tardis" ink to my friend. I tried to do a Google search and came up with a page that tried to pass off the Montblanc Skeleton FPs as Dr Who fountain pens. Sure, some of those designs are neato mosquito, but they are waaaaaaaaay out of my price range. :P

Here's a question ... which fountain pen do you think would make a good match for this Dr Who themed gift set?

I think the Iroshizuku or Herbin ink bottles would look pretty in a gift set.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

What about those inks being created by this guy in...oh dear, the grey matter really is going...he uses initials, and Amber Lea Davis posted a whole bunch of his inks (including some blues that I think would fit the bill) a few days ago in this forum.

I'll see if I can find the thread. But boy the Tardis blue looks like some of his creations.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

Really? Whowouldathunk. I haven't stepped into a Walmart in years. Meh. A ballpoint would take away the coolness of presenting a bottle of "Tardis" ink to my friend. I tried to do a Google search and came up with a page that tried to pass off the Montblanc Skeleton FPs as Dr Who fountain pens. Sure, some of those designs are neato mosquito, but they are waaaaaaaaay out of my price range. :P

Here's a question ... which fountain pen do you think would make a good match for this Dr Who themed gift set?

I think the Iroshizuku or Herbin ink bottles would look pretty in a gift set.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Slkm0cco0Jo/UXdJIabAXTI/AAAAAAAAAUM/M0hraCuSrzI/s1600/IMG_1016.JPG

I think I may have found your answer but it is going to take some doing. It is a pen covered in polymer clay, also known as Fimo clay. You are going to have to make it yourself.

http://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/Schreibgeraete/andere_serien/fantasy-pen/fueller/fantasie-pen-fuellhalter.php

^^^^

Kaweco makes a fountain pen body specifically for fimo clay.

There are a bunch of YouTube howtos.

And Google found these guys who are selling bodies for <$10. http://www.polymerclayprojects.com/FountainPen.htm

Edited by AllenG

I think the ink that would most closely match that color would be Organics Studio Nitrogen. It's a fairly new ink, but it sure is saturated and might match that perfectly.

I'm not a Doctor Who viewer any more, but when I tried a 50/50 mix of Diamine Sapphire Blue and Asa Blue it immediately made me think Tardis. Of course I may have been remembering the Tardis blue incorrectly at the time, but fwiw.

Cheers, Al

Hey Al, how did the mix go? I have both these inks so I might try something too.

Thanks,

Kev

Went well (I actually picked up the idea for the mix from the "Show us what pen you're using" thread, so it was pre-tested for me). Really intense blue from a broad nib, tends to be pretty free-flowing though. Definitely worth running a sample yourself, as you have the inks.

ETA: Bethought me to see if I had a sample handy, and amazingly found this one. But the scanner doesn't love me this afternoon, so this is taken using the camera - and now I don't think it looks Tardis-like at all... May at least give an idea; pens were, iirc, a Wality 58SL (fine), Serwex 1362 (fine), and No Name NoNonsense-knock-off c.1990 (medium) respectively

fpn_1398785902__tardisblue01.jpg

Also found a Pilot Mixable Blue sample, which seems pretty darn Tardis-y at the darker end of the scale, but not unfortunately a practical solution for the majority of pens.

fpn_1398786235__tardisblue02.jpg

Cheers, Al

Edited by grainweevil