The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Alternatives To Silicone Grease In Cc To Ed Conversions

pilot 78g eyedropper chapstick conversions

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Kella

Kella

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:18

I recently received a Pilot 78g from Goodpens here on the forums. I was thinking about converting it to an ED because it is my favorite for all my long writing sessions (Essays and minor research on wearable technology). The squeeze converter doesn't hold enough ink and refilling so often is kind of a pain.

I have seen older posts here on FPN and Badger and Blade about it and it seems all you need is a pen body with no holes,an o-ring and silicone grease. I have the first two  but have looked at my local hardware stores and I can only find the silicone-based caulk which i know is advised against. Can you use something like a organic beeswax or Chapstick( a wax based lip balm)? 

I am very new to these things so any advice offered would be appreciated. I look forward to some help and suggestions!

Sponsored Content

#2 ImplacablyGreen

ImplacablyGreen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:47

Beeswax is perfectly fine from the other comments I've gathered, and I can't see it doing any harm to a modern resin pen as long as there aren't additives in the wax. I think you'll want to heat it up just a bit to ensure it's able to fill the threads more easily.

If you're ever going to buy any ink from Goulet's, it's a good idea to spend a few dollars and pick up one of their containers of silicone grease. I find the silicone stuff more friendly to work with than beeswax a lot of the time.

Posted Image

#3 AndrewC

AndrewC

user

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:57

Any dive shops near you? They should have it. Richards Pens, Goulet Pens, Main Street Pens, Pendemonium, among others, should all have it. No lip balms. Not a good idea. Bees wax? Hadn't thought of that.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:27

Plumbing section will have an overpriced tube or jar of the stuff you want.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:42

Generally speaking you don't want to convert a pen that has both a threaded barrel and threaded cap into an eye dropper. Ideally you want threaded barrel, and snap/pull caps (like the pilot metro has... but not metal interior). 

*some* would probably say pure petroleum jelly. However depending on the kind of plastics used in the pen, the petroleum jelly could in theory attack the material (some older plastics, rubbers, etc could certainly be attacked).

I personally have not found a problem with cheap modern plastics (such as in the 78G, Nemosine Singularity, some Serwex clear eye dropper pens, etc).  

But since you're in the US, it's just as easy (and safer) to order some Silicone Gel from say GouletPens (along with maybe some other handy stuff to have like spare sample vials and what not). Otherwise you can either hit up a dive shop for some, or hit up places like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc for "Pure Silicone Gel". 

Edited by KBeezie, 26 April 2014 - 02:42.

#6 Kella

Kella

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:43

I'll check out Gouletpens. How much will I need and does it have to be reapplied often?

#7 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:45

I'll check out Gouletpens. How much will I need and does it have to be reapplied often?

It's 2.50 for 1/8th of an Ounce Jar of, it, you only need enough to fill the threads on the section to keep it air tight. 

http://www.gouletpen...iconegrease.htm

One jar has lasted most people I know over a year or more. And you only need to re-apply it as needed (sometimes as long as ink has not crept up into the threads, the gel that's already on it is still good for re-filling). 

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:47

At some point we should discuss the Apiezon greases.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 Kella

Kella

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:50

What are those(Apiezon)?

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:54

What are those(Apiezon)?

Hydrocarbons

#11 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:54

Google Helps...

http://www.cmr-direc...cmr-apiezonn25g

For Cryogenic Heatsinking eh, and $162 a tube. 

Apiezon N grease (25g) - for cryogenic heatsinking

• Used for both cryogenic vacuum seals and heatsinking samples and thermal contacts
  • Low level of magnetic susceptibility
  • Apiezon N has good heat transfer at low temperature: thermal conductivity at 1K is 0.001 W/(m.k)
  • Vapour pressure <10-9 mbar at 293K

I think I should probably mention, your pen is pretty much unusable at 1 Kelvin. 

Edited by KBeezie, 26 April 2014 - 02:55.

#12 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:39

I was thinking more like M or H

#13 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:42

W40 and W100 are also fun.

#14 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:43

W40 and W100 are also fun.

380307_1__1.jpg

#15 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:45

No Apiezon W40 and W100

#16 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:48

No Apiezon W40 and W100

:P I was messing with you. But Guess here's the link (Courtesy of Google), to those curious.

http://www.apiezon.c...the-softer-ones

personally... silicone gel works. 

#17 flexnib

flexnib

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:54

Silicone grease not chalk. It will be in and around the plumbing fixture, piping and not around any chalk whatsoever. Small 1oz jar should last forever and costs about 2-3$

#18 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:14

Google Helps...

http://www.cmr-direc...cmr-apiezonn25g

I think I should probably mention, your pen is pretty much unusable at 1 Kelvin. 

Aren't we all ?  What's more, your pipes will freeze !  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#19 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:18

If you must go just totally nuts on the situation, Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease. About $20 a tube.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#20 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:28

If you must go just totally nuts on the situation, Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease. About $20 a tube.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I have the complete collection of Apiezon greases.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot 78g, eyedropper, chapstick, conversions

Sponsored Content

|