Proper Respects From Oregon, United States Of America

Pentacular

Good day,

I'd like to introduce myself as a new member to this forum. I'm a 34 year old male from Oregon, USA. I work for a sheriff's office, as a corrections deputy.

My Agency has yet to go completely paperless. So, I have opportunity to do a fair amount of writing notes and filling forms. I predominantely use fountain pens for this and write in cursive almost exclusively. When I began to use fountain pens at work, I started with a Kaweco Sport, fine nib. Initially, I only used this pen for recording file notes. However, the more I employed its use, the more I enjoyed the experience and wanted to use it for all my writing. Soon after, I purchased another Kaweco Sport with an extra fine nib and a Nemosine Singularity (also EF). Since, that time, my small collection of humble pens has grown to include the following:

Kaweco Sport F blk

Kaweco Sport RB blk

Kaweco Sport EF clear

Nemosine Singularity EF red

Pilot Petit1 F blu/blk

Pilot Petit1 sign pen org

Pilot Petit1 brush pen blk

Platinum Preppy 03 blu

Platinum Preppy 05 blk

Lamy Al-Star EF graphite

Lamy 2000 F blk

The Lamy 2000 stands out from this group as a the most expensive but also by imparting the most superb writing experience. It should be noted that this piece was a gift. Another of these pens that may not seem like the others is the Kaweco Sport rollerball. I purchased this pen specificaly for the use of filling carbon copy forms. With some cc forms one can make use of a fountain pen with an extra fine nib whereby a firm hand may be used to make an impression onto the lower sheet without over-inking the top sheet. However, this is far from ideal when completing important court documents that have as many as four layers to mark through. The Kaweco rollerball has proven to be just the thing I needed for this task. At work, I typically use my Lamy Al-Star as a primary writing utensil and transition to the Kaweco RB for completing cc forms. With these tools in place, I would have thought that my writing bases were covered for routine tasks around the office. However, this assumption would prove untrue when I reached for an envelope to address for post to another regency. Washable ink would not do for this task. So, I usually keep a few ball point gel pens on hand for this purpose and for writing checks.

Now then, a question or two if I may (please, don't count this one haha)? Has anyone got a suggestion for a pen with the following specifications?

affordable - $10-$50

efficient - retractable (not a deal breaker)

economical - refillable

multipurpose - rollerball, compatible with permanent ink

durable - sturdy construction (the Nemosine Singularity cap chipped out at the

rim and was replaced at work by the Lamy Al-Star)

A pen with these specs that doesn't look like a cheap disposable may help me to consolidate my working kit down to two pens. Furthermore, does a bottled permanent ink exist? Please, excuse the noob questions. If posing these questions in another area would be more appropriate, please direct me so. Thank you very much for reading.

Kind regards,

John

P. s.

Please find attached, obligatory photos of my modest collection of working class pens.

post-112802-0-42112600-1398470434_thumb.jpg

post-112802-0-29817000-1398470453_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Pentacular

• WOBentley

• Dickkooty2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John. Welcome Aboard! Enjoy your Time here.

Fred

Good night folks. I'll be seeing you soon. ~ Jack Benny ~

John,

Great to see this collection of 'working pens'! Terrific examples of practical uses still needed in this digitized world.

Lamy makes a rollerball with the same styling as the fountain pen in matte black. Might be just the thing for the sheriff's department. I get off I=84 at mile post 62… Only 20 miles to Norcor!

And as for Jack Benny mentioned above ...

Edited by Dickkooty2

There are permanent bottled Inks. MontBlanc makes a blue and a black. You might also look at (much cheaper!) Noodler's bulletproof inks. Finally there are iron gall inks like ESSRI. There is a lot to learn, and I would consider doing two things, look through the ink reviews in the ink review forums, and also go to the Goulet Pens website and look at their ink comparison tools here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab_Shop_s/793.htm

Finally, you don't say where in Oregon you are located. There is still one pen store in Portland (Paradise Pens)

Welcome aboard!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forums! It's always nice to meet a fellow Oregonian here.

As to permanent inks, considering you work as a corrections deputy, for fun I would check out Noodler's Warden series of ink. They are purported to be permanent and forgery proof. As to pens, Noodler's and J. Herbin both make a refillable rollerball that takes liquid ink. That might be worth checking out for all those carbon copies you have to fill out.

Welcome to the Board!! Glad to have you as a member!

There are several Roller Balls that can be filled with fountain pen ink. I have a Pelikan ink roller and my wife has a Visconti Opera roller that can both take a cartridge or converter.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

I have a couple of Petit 1 pens, as well. One fountain pen. One brush tip. Too small for practical use. Not

comfortible. But, boy-O-boy, is it fun to pull out one of the "Tinys" and write a note. It turns every head in

the room. That's fun !

Great question about "rollerball" pens ! I caught Pakmanpony's reply. I will have to look into a fountain pen,

with a "rollerball" tip.

Noodler's inks are commonly available online to everyone in the USA. Some are waterproof. "Bulletproof" means

waterproof-Cloroxproof-coffeeproof-beerproof, and everything else, short of disolving the paper. Unless someone

rubs away the envelope paper, "Heart Of Darkness" ain't coming off. If you like the look of the washable blue ink,

rub a wax candle over it.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi and welcome to FPN!

Enjoy :D

Nice collection of pens you have going on.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

Hello and welcome. I am glad you have joined us. Please don't be shy about asking questions or stating your opinions. I hope you enjoy the time you spend with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

All,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Freddy, Thank you sir.

Dick, Thanks. A Lamy RB may be just the thing!

WOBentley, Paradise Pen looks like a good outfit and next time I'm up from the mid-Willamette Valley for a Winterhawks of Blazers game I'll come to town a little early for a bit of shopping. Thanks for the recommendation.

SCBarber, I will definitely look into the Noodler's Warden series ink and refillable rollerball pens by Noodler's and J. Herbin.

Pakman, the Pelikan and Visconti RB pens will be on my radar for future additions.

Sasha, thank you for the details on those permanent inks.

Ben, thanks for the kind words from afar. Are you a barrister? Do I have the title correct? I happen to be so lucky as to have ensnared the most fantastic prosecutor as my girlfriend, who is quoted below.

"Additionally my wonderful (and extremely hot) girlfriend insists that I clarify that the Lamy 2000 and Noodler's were a generous gift from her on the occasion of my birthday."

Best,

John

Hello John, good to meet you. Greetings from northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hi and :W2FPN:

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~