Pendleton Point Elegant Butter Line Stub Review

dneal

I like stubs. I really like stubs that are ground from medium nibs. They add a little flair to my sloppy handwriting, and they tame the medium nib enough that it can be used for small annotations on documents or in a notebook. I've got a Binder .6mm (which I love) and a few that I've done myself (see my "a pen and ink I used to hate... review).

I was curious about Pendleton Brown's grinds, so I sent my Pelikan M605 off to see what all this fuss about his "elegant butter-line stub" was.

Now I know.

Some time after I sent the pen in, I received a cryptic message via email.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/photo2_zps6260e444.jpg

And a photo of a gentleman inspecting what appears to be my pen. Just who is this masked man???

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/photo1_zps2b79ff2a.jpg

Today, I received the pen back from Pendleton. I inked it up and started playing with it, and an enormous grin spread across my face. My wife asked from the other room "why are you giggling?" I have never had an experience like this. The way the pen writes is (to steal from Steve Jobs) "magical". It seems to have a mind of its own, decorating your writing with line variation that you didn't expect - but find extremely pleasing. It's really hard to describe the experience. It feels like it's writing dry, but clearly it's laying down plenty of ink. It's smooth, but offers nice feedback. The amount of variation the nib alone does is pretty drastic, and a little pressure adds to it. "Elegant" is a very, very good descriptor of what this nib is capable of.

For fear of gushing about how much I do enjoy the pen, I'll just stop and subject you to my hasty chicken scratches.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/StubComparison_zpsbd81185f.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dneal

• cancoi

• nojanv

• Green Ink

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! I want to get a Pendleton grind in my near future. What size did you get it ground to?

My Pendleton Point BLS (M) is one of my very favourite nibs. You're right - it is lots of fun to use, as well as a seriously clever bit of nib work.

Verba volant, scripta manent

There is nothing more sublime than the pleasure to be derived from writing with a pen that has gotten Pendleton's BLS treatment.

@mikehodgman - I didn't really specify a size (a size reduction is extra). I did say I wanted something around a .6 or .7 mm (like the Binder grind). Pendleton responded that's what a Pelikan medium would end up being around.

@migo984 - The more I play with it, the more I realize how clever it is. If I write with a light touch, it will write as small and fine as my Namiki Falcon (SF nib). If I write normally, it's on the fine side of medium with "panache". If I apply a slight bit of pressure on the downstroke, it writes as wide as a 1.1 mm Lamy stub/italic. Really an awesome nib... but since you have one you already know that ;)

I have a couple of excellent pens with nibs by Mr Brown and they're a pleasure to write with. I missed a Parker 51 with a Pendleton point that was on sale some time ago and hope one day to find another (I don't see PB on FPN of late). Great review, for which thanks.

That looks like a sweet line! I mean, the line variation. The next time I see Pendleton (and I hope he attends the SF Pen Show (and I hope I do, too)), I will have to give one of my nibs the Pendleton BSL treatment. Looks great!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

That looks like a sweet line! I mean, the line variation. The next time I see Pendleton (and I hope he attends the SF Pen Show (and I hope I do, too)), I will have to give one of my nibs the Pendleton BSL treatment. Looks great!

One will not suffice. All your other pens will pale. Bring at least a couple.

Yea, Pendleton's pens are pentastic! My Danitrio EEF nib was too thin to be a true stub, but it got a variation of the treatment and now writes just as you described—dry yet consistently flowing, with a touch of feedback and oh-so-smooth lines. It's love in liquid-drenched metal form.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

I like my PB nibs, but I like PB even more. We're fortunate to have some wonderful people like Pendleton in this little area of interest we all share...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have some autographed notes with signatures from Mr. Pendleton Brown writing with my pens. Wonderful works. I am going to send him my two Pelikans.

• 2 months later...

I've just sent in the mail today a Lamy 2000m with an Oblique Medium asking for a Fine version of the Pendleton point. Now the hard part comes.

I just purchased a TWSBI 580 AL with a fine BLS grind from him this morning...can't wait for it to get here.

I must wholeheartedly agree with Jon. Pendleton is one of the nicest unpretentious men you will ever meet. I had him grind two of mine at the Baltimore Pen Show and I love these nibs. One of the real joys however is too sit and talk to him while he does his magic. Then to let him tune it to your preference is an added joy. If you are not happy he isn't happy. A genuine sign of a real craftsman.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Pendleton's the best!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Can anyone tell me how Pendleton's pens are with added flex? I've never gotten one with added flex and was just wondering how it performs, how it feels in your hand while writing, etc.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Hah, i just posted a review of the TWBI Micarta with flex nib from PB, nice timing :)

In short i like the flex option, but it requires a lot of pressure. In fact the pressure required is slightly uncomfortable for me at least, so i must say i prefer the regular BLS option he has. By regular i mean awesome of course. That nib is just amazing.

Keep in mind i have just had the flex nib since yesterday, might be i change my mind once i have had it for a while. This is just my initial impression.

Pendleton is absolutely amazing! I loooooooooove his nibs! I have 3 of my own. My butter line stub is on a twsbi micarta I bought from him at the Atlanta Pen show. It's sooooo smooth you wouldn't believe! IMG_3651.JPG