The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Vanishing Point Vs. Pilot Capless Decimo

vanishing point decimo capless pilot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:17

Are the differences between the Pilot Vaishing Point and the Pilot Capless Decimo enough to justify the extra $100 for the Decimo?

Sponsored Content

#2 lisantica

lisantica

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2014 - 14:35

I have both and the Decimo is less in girth.  There's a thread here that shows some photos of the differences:

http://www.fountainp...capless-decimo/

I noticed that the Decimo can be found on Amazon for a similar price to the VP.

Just found another page that explains differences as well:

http://pigpog.com/20.../pilot-capless/

Edited by lisantica, 25 April 2014 - 14:38.

~ Justifying pen purchases since 2013 ~

#3 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2014 - 19:28

I have both and the Decimo is less in girth.  There's a thread here that shows some photos of the differences:

http://www.fountainp...capless-decimo/

I noticed that the Decimo can be found on Amazon for a similar price to the VP.

Just found another page that explains differences as well:

http://pigpog.com/20.../pilot-capless/

Thanks!

#4 trulylefty

trulylefty

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 21:43

You can also sometimes get good deals on them from ebay (even new). The Decimo is usually slightly more expensive once you include shipping - especially since you can't get them from a US dealer.

#5 marie9999

marie9999

Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:27

Just my two cents but I prefer the Decimo and the nib seems more "responsive" out of the box…  but they are both wonderful pens if the clip being near the grip doesn't bother you.

#6 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 00:08

The size (girth) and weight of the pens are the biggest differences.  I actually prefer the standard vanishing point over the Decimo, but that is my preference for what feels good in my hand.  The Decimo is just a little too slender for me.  I only have one Decimo, but I have several standard VPs because they fit me well.

The Decimo comes in fewer colors, though they are quite nice.  I think they were originally intended to be the ladies' professional pen.  This lady, however, has gone crazy over the standard VP.

As for justifying the extra $100, well, I can't.  So, my only Decimo was purchased from an ebay seller who had it at the same price as a standard VP.  The trade off was I had to wait a few more days for delivery.  I don't believe the Decimo is a standard release in the USA, so the pen prices reflect that with the sellers who make the effort to bring them in.  

Edited by kiavonne, 26 April 2014 - 00:15.

Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#7 Graebel

Graebel

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:46

I'm happy with the price after seeing how fabulous the VPs nibs were out of the box. I tried the standard VP but its just a shade too big and too heavy to be comfortable. I own two Decimos and am stalking my third so that I can have an XF, F, and CI nib (Binderized). I was debating making the leap to a Nakaya but that price point feels extravagant to me (when I need to buy a new front door, I should really save $$ for that).

The only downside IMO to the Decimos is that the color selection isn't nearly as wide as the VPs. I'd give an eyetooth for the metallic orange...sigh

A penny for the old guy.

#8 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:47

Thank you for all the replies.  They have been very helpful.  I went to the Pen Boutique in Bethesda. MD today to check out the Vanising Point.  Fit my hand very comfortably, so I purchased one in red with rhodium trim in fine.  Wrote notes with it tonight at a presentation held by the Washington Calligrapher's Guild and it is just a pleasure to use.  I see it being my main EDC pen.

#9 rutherfordr

rutherfordr

Annuit Coeptis

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2014 - 21:46

Pen Boutique is a nice store.

It's a shame you can't get the decimo in a retail store in the USA, but I've ordered them from Japanese retailers through eBay and they cost the same as the vanishing point.
Scientia potentia est.

#10 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 00:14

Thank you for all the replies.  They have been very helpful.  I went to the Pen Boutique in Bethesda. MD today to check out the Vanising Point.  Fit my hand very comfortably, so I purchased one in red with rhodium trim in fine.  Wrote notes with it tonight at a presentation held by the Washington Calligrapher's Guild and it is just a pleasure to use.  I see it being my main EDC pen.

Congratulations on your new purchase.  The red with rhodium trim is a nice combination.

It's really nice you had the Pen Boutique to be able to "test drive" the pen for yourself.

Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#11 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:34

After using the Vanishing Point for five days, it has officially replaced my Pelikan M200 as my everyday carry pen.  Just love the way it operates and writes.  Always felt I had to baby the M200, not so with the metal VP.

[attachment=253736:PilotVPYoshidaShoinWeb.jpg]

#12 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 22:26

Hi,

Enjoy your new Pilot Capless! While I prefer the Capless Décimo colourwise and size wise (I have two pink ones and a violet one), they're both quite excellent, and choosing which one to buy is really more a matter or taste and what works for you.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vanishing point, decimo, capless, pilot

Sponsored Content

|