The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Clogged Nibs?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,817 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2020 - 18:53

I know that this is a resurrected old thread, but GoldenNibs is right -- it could have had paint or India ink or something in the pen.  

Don't know if the OP is still around 6 years later, but my advice would be to use Rapid-o-Eze.  Apparently that will work when nothing else does.  I used to use it all the time to clean out my Rapidographs, back in the day.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2020 - 00:18

Use an E mandolin string. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#23 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2020 - 15:55

I had a clogged Esterbrook nib back when ths was originally posted. I eventually thought it wAsn't worth whatI wass spending trying to fix it. It is a challenge. Nobody likes to give up.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#24 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2020 - 18:41

I just got through with a different pens nib.  BTW it was cemented so I could not disassemble the nib assembly.

It was CLOGGED.

MANY cycles in an USC did not do anything,

Nor did soaking for two weeks.

Finally I got my guitar string probe, and sharpened the end like a chisel.  So rather than a flat end, it was a wedge.

I put the guitar string into the back of the nib, then started rotating the nib around the string, so that the wedge would scrape the clog.  vs. a flat end that would just push the dried ink further into the ink channel, and into a harder to clear clog.

This finally opened up the ink channel so that water could be forced through the nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#25 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:14

I had a totally plugged nib once. A cleaning solution didn't work, and a wire probe didn't clear it. I threw it away and got another nib out of the box, reasoning. It wasn't expensive.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

|