• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cuteline

• Wahlnut

• david i

• J-F-O

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not seen a red pen like this before. Cool.

Edited by Shari

Exuberance is beauty.

(Wm. Blake)

wow,

this pen really soared maybe syd, the wahlnut can explain it.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

When I see things like this on E-Bay, I can't help but wonder if the item is really worth such a high price or if the bidders got totally carried away. huh.gif Either way - I guess a pen is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. rolleyes.gif

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

I'm not Syd but I believe that this is a Wahl for the Danish market. Deco bands are not seen in this color in the US.

J-F-O is correct that this is not the same "Coral" as used in the standard American version. However, it may be that the Danish marketing for this used the word "Coral" in the same sense as used for "Coral" Montblancs.

Seldom seen, albeit not as exceptional as the American Coral oversize PP, which I believe is not just hidden but actively hiding from us.

Hi, Jun, it was nice to see you at the LA show too!

About your question. IMHO, THERE IS NO NORMAL FOR THIS PEN. It is one of the 2 Holy Grails of Wahl Pendom. Only this pen (the Oversized, Gold Seal Greek Key ("Deco Band") in Red Hard Rubber) or the same pen model in Flamingo, command this kind of rarity and consequently price. If anyone got "carried away" in the bidding, it was only because they knew what they wanted and were willing to pay to get it.

CORRECTION TO ABOVE. DAVID NISHIMURA POINTS OUT THAT HE SEES THE PEN IN QUESTIOJN AS ORANGE PLASTIC AND WHILE PRETTY RARE IT IS NOT AS RARE AS THE RUBBER PEN WOULD HAVE BEEN (OR THE CORAL "VARIAGATED" AND TO WHICH I REFERRED ABOVE.

Interesting...If you look closely at the bid history you will see that the 3 final bidders all used a last few seconds of auction bid sniping software and all 3 bids came in at the same last few seconds time. This means that all 3 bidders had to set their maximum bid price in advance and at an amount they were willing to go IF there was competition for it at the end of the auction. Bidder #3 (or to put it another way loser number 2 set his/her top bid in an advance at $2008. Loser number 1 set his/her high bid limit at $2650. We will never know what the Winner bid but we know it was AT LEAST $2658. And that person probably had a higher top bid than that. So 3 folks NOT GOING back and forth in a bidding war, all agreed the pen was worth at least $2000 to them.

Proper price???

This pen is so rare that whatever it sells for IS the market Price for this pen. You may see another someday, but you may also not see another one for 10 years or more.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thanks, Syd. Didn't realize that it is so rare -- I thought that David i has bunch of them to share rolleyes.gif So it seems that the coral color he collected is not quite the same as the color of this one. Jun

See my correction in the above Wahlnut Message.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Interesting bidding, but I did not see "loser" number 2 at 2000 -- I only saw loser number 2 at $1000 on my screen. It is still amazing to me --- the pen actually has two hairlines, and it seems that in light of rarity, people do not worry too much about imperfections. I almost thought that the winner was you or David i smile.gif

The way I saw it Loser #2's bid had to beat loser#3's bid and Ebay will take as much of loser #2's bid as it takes to beat loser #3 by $5.00. In this case while loser#3 held sway at a little over $1000, until the last 6 second flurry of bids from the last 3 bidders, it took over $2000 of loser #2's bid to beat the remaining unused bid of Loser#3. At least that is why I see Loser #2 having to get over $2000.

Anyway bid dynamics is not what we are really all here for. In any event the winner is relatively new to Ebay or not an avid player (73 wins), but clearly knew he/she just had to have that item.

It is indeed one of the high water marks for Wahl Eversharp selling value.

Not sure the was a connection but we felt the 4.2 earthquake last nigt, it beig anoy about 4 miles from Pensbury Manor. Wonder if the pen sales price had anything to do with it. I have heard of earth shattering prices, but I had no Idea this pen sale would do that! rolleyes.gif

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

I wonder what the seller's reaction was when the auction closed?

It must have been quite a surprise.

Syd, I still don't get your argument regarding the bidding dynamics. The only possibility to me is that loser #2 ("bidder 1") indeed bidded at $1002.20, and he was a mili-second earlier than either or both loser #1 ("bidder 12") and the winner. Also, the increment is perhaps not $5 each, but 2% or so ($50 at last). Maybe I am not familiar with some aspects of ebay.

Jun

It is not coral (at least on my monitor). Rather, it is orange... as in duofold orange.

Not catalogued, ABAICT.

Reportely (hearsay) for export to europe.

I have photographed a Deco Band (OS Flattop) from Cliff's collection and am charmed to discover that my excellent Standard Equipoised in this color might be worth even a bit more than i'd thought

regards

david

http://removed.xyz/penteach/equiposeorange.jpg

Edited by david i

Oops. Phrased it wrong way.

Meant to say i knew my animal26.gif orange plastic Equi-poised animal26.gif was scarce, but didn't figure it was quite this value range, though no doubt the standard poised not quite as pricey as the Deco Band. Sorry i forgot the bunnies. One should never forget the bunnies. Makes 'em angry

d

Jun,

I may be wrong and I am more thn willing to defer to the esteemed statistician, but for Loser number 2's bid to jump to the $2000+ level it had to overcome the maximum bid of loser #3 which means to me that loser number 3 while a temporary leading bidder at the $1000 level over the previous bidder, hse/her TOP bid was far higher than what it took to temporarily beat the preceding leader, When the Loser #2 stepped in his/her bid had to be high enough to beat loser #3's maximum bid (which was unknown until then but just a little lower than the amount it took of Loser #2's bid to tak hold of the item. That is why Loser #2's final beaten bid went all the way from !000 to over 2000. And son on through Loser #1's bid and finally the winner emerged above the maximun bid of loser #1. Anyway that is how I interpret the bidding.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

btw...

my imagination or does it look to have hairlines in the caplip (ebay, not my Poised)

d

Yes, David, the hairlines were explicitly mentioned in the listing. this is why I think it so amazing. So yours is probably worth $3000+ even though it does not have the deco band.

Jun

Yes, David, the hairlines were explicitly mentioned in the listing. this is why I think it so amazing. So yours is probably worth $3000+ even though it does not have the deco band.

Thanks for clarifying. Been sooo busy just took quickest peek at the ad. My bad.

I appreciate your assessment, but would be suprised (happily!) were my Poised ever to pull that price wink.gif

Cleaner pen, but the big pen carries extra cachet.

And, as has been noted, one sale does not define a general market, though it certainly is provocative.

best

david