Favourite Bright Inks?

prettypink

Hi everyone :)

I'm currently getting a liiiittle bit obsessed with buying new inks, but seem to be always going for the same type (by my username, you can probably guess which colour). Anyway, I was wondering what your favourite bright, fun coloured inks are, that are not so bright that they're not readable?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prettypink

• amberleadavis

• Techi

• P_Uni

I like diamine jade, a bright grassy green that is very legible and well-behaved. What are your favourites?

I dont know whether you would class Diamine Sargasso Sea or Ancient copper as 'Bright' but if not, then most likely Diamine Sunset or Soft Mint - as you can tell, i am quite a fan of Diamine

"Distrust, Confirm, then still be Suspicious"

I like diamine jade, a bright grassy green that is very legible and well-behaved. What are your favourites?

My faves would have to be Iroshizuku in Yama-Budo and Ku-Jaku, as well as J Herbin's Rouge Opera, if that's the one I'm thinking of (I have a few like that one so tend to get them mixed up)

I dont know whether you would class Diamine Sargasso Sea or Ancient copper as 'Bright' but if not, then most likely Diamine Sunset or Soft Mint - as you can tell, i am quite a fan of Diamine

I wouldn't class Ancient Copper as bright, but it's definitely a gorgeous colour! I'm currently using Sargasso Sea in my favourite pen but don't know if I like it. I think I'm just being biased against blue as I used to only use black and blue biros before fountain pens lol.

Diamine Sunset looks lovely and is now on my to-buy list, as is Soft Mint, which surprises me as I thought all mint inks would be too light to read.

Pelikan 4001 Türkis...absolutely fantastic ink and my favorite shade of blue

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

as is Soft Mint, which surprises me as I thought all mint inks would be too light to read.

I thought that originally too, but it is perfectly legible - especially on off-white or cream papers

I was put-off by the term 'Mint' used to describe an ink colour, but after a quick try with it in my neighbours flexy swan nibs, It had to be on my list.

I'm currently using Sargasso Sea in my favourite pen but don't know if I like it. I think I'm just being biased against blue as I used to only use black and blue biros before fountain pens lol.

I was staying clear of blues and black for the same reason - i like to stand out :D - which is why Sargasso was my first blue, and it quickly changed my view on blues; Next is Edelstein Topaz

Love Diamine Cerise :wub:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Diamine Soft Mint, Aqua Blue, and Scarlet (the last is very pinkish, so you may have it already :)); Pelikan Violet.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Check out J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen. Quite awesome - IMHO.

It's really cool to use it in my TWSBI 580 1.1 Pendleton stub (no affiliation).

Not that many men sitting around the tea shop keeping a journal in that color! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Sheaffer Skrip turquoise.

I also have Sheaffer Skrip red, but that is too intense for a whole page of writing, especially with a wider nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hmm. I like a lot of really bright inks:

Noodler's North African Violet, Liberty's Elysium, Navajo Turquoise and (if I'm in the mood) Bay State Blue; Private Reserve Purple Mojo; Sailor Jentle Sky High; and J Herbin Rouge Hematite (the formulation with the gold flecks). Still trying to make up my mind about Organics Studios Emily Dickinson and Iroshihzuku Tsutsuji as to whether I like them enough to get full bottles -- because they are sort of eye-searing.

Also some not-quite-so-bright ones:

Noodler's Manhattan Blue, Army Green (the reformulated batch), Shah's Rose and Black Swan in Australian Roses; Iroshihzuku Yama-budo; FPNer Pharmacist's Turkish Night (iron gall that goes from cyan to dark slightly teal green); De Atramentis Rose and Dantie Alighieri/Ruby Red; several of the ones from the Diamine Flower Collection (Aster, Carnation and Cornflower) as well as Diamine Presidential Blue; and Private Reserve American Blue and Rose Rage (DC Supershow Blue is gorgeous and has tons of sheen to it, but is slow drying and smudgy).

Mind you I also really like darker and more complex (dare I say, in some cases almost muddy) colors like Noodler's Kung Te Cheng, El Lawrence, and Purple Heart; Diamine Denim and Eclipse; Organics Studio Blue Merle; and De Atramentis Patchouli (but I hate the smell of it).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't used a whole lot of bright inks, but some of my favorites are:

Baystate Blue is an awesome colored bright blue. It's really bright and in your face, but still quite readable. Just make yourself aware of its downsides (staining, not great on cheap paper) and you shouldn't have any surprises. The uniqueness of this ink outweighs the little extra work it requires (not to mention its dedicated pen).

Navajo Turquoise is the only turquoise I have experience with, but I do like it a lot.

Cactus Fruit Eel is a cool color although wouldn't be an every day ink for me personally.

R&K Cassia is a really nice purple (violet?). It stands out and I can take a few pages of notes with it and have no issues.

R&K Verdura. I didn't like this when I first tried a sample, but I recently inked it up again and it has grown on me for a bright green since I originally tried it.

I tend to stick to darker reds (Red Dragon), but Diamine Poppy Red is nice if you want a bright red.

Edited by A144

So many inks, so little time...

BSB as many have said is a whole new level of brightness in a blue. I love Apache Sunset and Sailor Jentle Grenade. The Grenade shades from a darker cranberry to a nice pink. And very saturated.

Alas, I like the retinal searing bright inks. I don't think all of them are retinal searing, but they are all bright.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

PR Spearmint is a delightful, bright green. Well behaved, okay for writing text (though I don't use it for pages and pages). My favorite bright (to me) purple is Waterman Tender Purple. CDA Idyllic Blue and Diamine Asa Blue are my favorite "bright" blues (especially the latter).