If Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black Isn't Iron Gall, Then What Is It?

The Good Captain

i tried the 4001 Brilliant Black and the 4001 RB i liked bothe of them still didnt have the chance to get a 4001 Blue-Black bottle but i will :)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• The Good Captain

• UkeDan

• Biff

To quote from http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.205950./document-proof-ink,

The least complicated ink which is still relatively light resistant, is the ink "4001 blue-black", our item no. 310 607. This ink contains iron gall, which makes it much more resistant than for example the ink shades 4001 royal blue or 4001 brilliant black, but due to the addition of special ingredients, you can still use this ink without qualm in piston or cartridge fountain pens.

Edited by Tunnip

Where my mind goes, my ink flows.

What's special about it is that it works on Moleskine paper. Not many inks do that :D

That's true! I've also had great success with Moleskine and Noodler's (Bulletproof) Black and El Lawrence, as it happens.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Shhh.... not so loud! If our FDA (and/or other twits) ever read that, they might forbid the sale of those inks here, too.... http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/hidden-171.gif

Anon http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/1_ani.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Pelikan blue black is my to go ink for my diary. I need about one bottle every 3 months. Recently opened a brand new one (Sep 15), ink looks a bit more blue than before and wetter. However it still has the typical irongall behaviour and same degree of water resistance. Great ink.

I have a very recent Pelikan Blue-Black (with the new label). I tried it with my Faber-Castell Ambition that has a wet flow. It dried to a pale silvery gray with lots of shading but horrible to read. I have to try it in other pens, but it almost felt like there is something wrong with my batch. I also found an old stock of Lamy Blue-Black which also has "iron-gall" in it and while it loses most of its blue, it stays dark and pretty (the flow was too dry and erratic, though). These are interesting inks, but having this component makes them behave strangely.

• 3 years later...

Just discovered this thread. Has there been any knowledge uncovered since?

Is this ink now unavailable in the US?

Is the current formulation real iron gall a la ESRI?

AFAIK, not imported in the U.S., but can be bought from Europe. It is iron fall, but with q very low concentration, hence different (a lot) from the much beloved ESSRI

Hi,

ESSRI is darker and has more iron gall in it, like Diamine (DR) or Akkerman #10.

They behave even better on bad (i mean really bad) paper and looks darker than Pelikan BB.

ESSRI is very dry, even a tad more then DR.

Anyway I like all of them... Pelikan is fine with broader nibs, where ESSRI/DR are unmatched in wet F or EF nibs.

Have fun

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

The "latest" news on this ink which I found really interesting is here. That was handed down to us in the site https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/254606-does-pelikan-4001-series-inks-contain-any-iron-gall/ (Posted 20 October 2013).

Sooo... since then, they have either [a] added a dash of IG in the meantime, or admitted/stated after all that it was an IG ink all along....

The "latest" news on this ink which I found really interesting is here. That was handed down to us in the site https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/254606-does-pelikan-4001-series-inks-contain-any-iron-gall/ (Posted 20 October 2013).

Sooo... since then, they have either [a] added a dash of IG in the meantime, or admitted/stated after all that it was an IG ink all along....

Interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

This ink has not been changed for ages. It has always contained iron gall (but not much).

Maybe in the beginning they did not mention the iron gall because ALL inks contained iron gall at that time.

And later on they did not think it worth mentioning.

Or they did mention it and no one cared to take notice.

This ink has not been changed for ages. It has always contained iron gall (but not much).

Maybe in the beginning they did not mention the iron gall because ALL inks contained iron gall at that time.

And later on they did not think it worth mentioning.

Or they did mention it and no one cared to take notice.

I'll buy that.

That "news" from Pelikan was how I learned both of its existence and the difficulty in getting it in the US (The US really has an issue with iron gall in ink? This is real?). I found a bottle and am looking forward to trying it.

The page also mentioned a dip pen ink called Scribtol, which I'd not heard any one talk about before, even in the context of dip pen ink. There's only minor mention of it in the forums.