A Tremendous Loss...all Five Of My Favorite Pens!

jaelkthompson

l would be remiss if I didn't reiterate the final portion of the lesson here.

Jaelk, if you had had you contact info ON or IN your pen case, not only would this whole thread have been unnecessary, but you would have probably had your pens back 5 days ago, possibly before You even Knew they were missing. AND, it wouldn't have mattered whether there were 2 pens in the case, or 5.

It's my pens and my opinion but I carry a 4 pen case and the unlikelihood that I might misplace my case is NOT a sufficient enough reason to cut in half the number of pens I carry IN that case.

Regardless, I am happy to hear the prodigal pens have returned.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaelkthompson

• penrivers

• FayeV

• Jeje3325

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! Glad you found your case. This is the best news I've heard today.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Bruce, +10.

""""if you had had you contact info ON or IN your pen case,""""

Great idea!!! :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

my pen case disappeared.

Never heard of disappearing pens, but i do hear of people losing/damaging their pens. Fortunately, you can replace those pens fairly easy.

No need to thank me for the helpful post. If i ever lose one of my pens, i would never forgive myself, and this thought helps me be more careful with the things i care about.

Edited by rochester21

Glad to hear your pens are back safe and sound! I love my pens and find that I like to travel (for business) with my best pens that are also the ones I enjoy writing with so business trips overseas with a Nakaya, Visconti Wall Street LE, a CS Churchill and a Stiplua Etruria is a regular thing. From my point of view having these pens is only a path to using them.

However, as a possible risk reduction against loss, I do only carry my travel pens in cases where a business card can be slipped in and the words "reward for return" printed on it. A slip of paper will do just as well. Most people that find a pack of fountain pens will have no idea what to do with them or even if they have value. They just need a way to reach you.

Edited by Powerbroker

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

I am so happy to report that my pen case IS FOUND!!!!!!!!!! :D A young man in my congregation found the case, and my daughter saw him asking around to find out who it belonged to. Needless to say I rewarded them both with a finder's fee and thanked them immensely. What an awesome end to my week!

Thank you all for your encouraging thoughts and wise advice. My EDC has been reduced from five to two, and I can breathe easier now that my beauties are safe and sound back home with me!!

Yay!

Good news! I keep a set at the office and a set that travels with me. The expensive ones stay where I do all my writing :)

Very glad to read that your pens have been found and returned to you. It's good to know there are people that take the trouble to do that.

Here is another suggestion (as if you need any more...?) regarding travel with your pens. This is what I do: I have a multi-slot fabric pen wrap, nothing much to look at but handy and keeps the pens safe. It travels pinned to the inner wall of my shoulder bag , around all the other stuff in there. Sometimes there's one pen in there, other times it has company. The benefit is, I know exactly where they are in my purse, and when I need them, that's where I find them; when finished with them, that's where they are returned. Just a thought...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Yes! Glad you got them back. You of all people should find and post in the "Three good things from my day" thread

So glad the pens are back! I was hoping we'd hear that news soon. :)

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

It just so happens too that I lost a gold Cross pen during my first of year of college. It too was a gift, from my mom, and it had a gorgeous rose etching on the band. I don't know what possessed me bring it to class and actually use it, and actually WALK away from my desk with it sitting on top of my notebook!!! I've been a moron for a looooooong time, so this pain is familiar.

It's not the pen. It's the connection to a loved one, person, memories ,etc. Nothing wrong with using it in class, it was meant to be used. Walking away with it sitting on your notebook was an unfortunate lapse of awareness, something with which I am well acquainted with. I've heard of letters, medals, jewelry etc being returned many decades later so just maybe...

Sincere congrats, really good news. Let them inside home. Get some varsitys or pilot precise rollings. I think you don't need more than two, at least if you are not going to write a novel in the office.

Edited by penrivers

:W2FPN:

Oh, I am so happy that this whole ordeal has a happy ending! Congrats! Nice to see that there are good people out there! :)

I am always on the road for work, and I would be devastated if I am to lose my pen. I usually carry just one (Kaweco Sport, tucked inside my lipstick pocket of my bag), or- when I know I will have enough downtime to write a letter or two, a pen case that holds two pens.

Thank you for sharing your story and valuable lesson, it certainly prompted me to put the contact info (name, phone numbers, and e-mail) inside my pen case.

Edited by flyingfox

l would be remiss if I didn't reiterate the final portion of the lesson here.

Jaelk, if you had had you contact info ON or IN your pen case, not only would this whole thread have been unnecessary, but you would have probably had your pens back 5 days ago, possibly before You even Knew they were missing. AND, it wouldn't have mattered whether there were 2 pens in the case, or 5.

It's my pens and my opinion but I carry a 4 pen case and the unlikelihood that I might misplace my case is NOT a sufficient enough reason to cut in half the number of pens I carry IN that case.

Regardless, I am happy to hear the prodigal pens have returned.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

After reading this I imagined If this scenario happened to me. Would have gotten a heart attack. What a loss!

Wish List: TWSBI Diamond 580.

So glad to read your happy ending. I go crazy when I lose something or think I did. But what's the point in having things if we don't use them, which naturally entails the risk of loss or damage? An age-old dilemma.

I am really bad about loosing things so as soon as I got my F-C three pen zip case I slapped a label on the inside with my name address and phone number. I think it created good karma, because the next day I walked away from my iPhone at the zoo. An employee ran me down to return it. I think most people will return things if they have the opportunity.