Namiki Falcon

Russ

I'm planning to buy a Namiki Falcon as my next pen in about a month when I'll have a birthday. I already own a Pilot Custom 74 with a medium nib and a Platinum 3776 with a music nib. I like the Custom 74, it has a smooth writing nib, but I absolutely love my Platinum and use it daily. It smoothly writes a large, wet line. I like it too because the music nib lays down a nice line variation, not quite italic, but almost - a real "cursive italic" nib. Because I like the flow of the Platinum I'm thinking that I should get a Falcon with a broad nib. Has anyone else used a Falcon with a broad nib? I'd like to hear about it.

Also, I will most likely send the Falcon off to a nibmeister to turn it into a cursive italic, something similar to the Platinum music nib. Now I know that Japanese nibs run narrower than Western style nibs, and I'm wondering if the Falcon "broad" won't be a broad enough cursive italic for my taste, as compared with the Platinum. So, secondary question, does anyone know if it is possible to somehow special order a Namiki Falcon with a double broad nib?

Thanks for any comments.

Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcmc

• sonia_simone

• Russ

• mrphyig

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a medium nibbed Falcon. I am pretty sure the broad won't be wide enough to turn into a music nib with the same width as the Platinum. A nibmeister would probably have to charge you for added more material to the nib of the pen in addition to the grinding of the nib. It may cost you as much as you paid for the pen in the first place. If you did do it, you would have a very unique Falcon.

Blake

Pilot Vanishing point - metallic blue

Noodler's Ahab

• 1 year later...

What are the pros and cons of a medium or fine nib on this pen? Would the fine be more likely to scratch or damage lower quality paper(mead 5-star or the like), especially when flexing?

• 2 weeks later...

What are the pros and cons of a medium or fine nib on this pen? Would the fine be more likely to scratch or damage lower quality paper(mead 5-star or the like), especially when flexing?

There are also a lot of similar discussions already on FPN that you might find helpful, such as this one. I think, however, that the occurrence of nibs that damage the paper they write on is extremely limited, and any such nib would be considered defective or damaged.

You might get a better response if you start a new topic rather than tacking a question onto an old thread.

Hope you find answers to all your questions, and feel free to submit your own experiences to benefit others.

W2FPN.gif

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

• 9 months later...

Am I the only one with the ExtraFine Nib?

It is magnificent.

Better contrast with its thin and thick lines.

Not scratchy at all.

I have the fine and I love the thing. Usually I like a medium nib for the smoothness, though I am now tempted to get a metal falcon in the EF or the EEF.

Keith

• 7 months later...