Namiki Falcon

Russ

So looks like no one else has tried using the Falcon as an eyedropper =) Perhaps that's just as well - John Mottishaw said that the internals might get wonked out if used as such, with direct contact with the ink. Unfortunate! But it was interesting to see that someone else was recommended that route and they'd been using it like that...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcmc

• sonia_simone

• Russ

• mrphyig

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the resin version of the Namiki Falcon, with an SF nib. It is comparable or perhaps finer than typical EF nibs (sure finer than a modern Pelikan 400 EF). As a consequence, its converter load lasts forever. I didn't use cartridges (impossible to find them here) so I can't comment.

It is "semiflex": you can get line variation, but it takes applying significantly more pressure than with vintage flex pens. For someone that writes aplying little pressure, it writes like the smoother EF nib one can get (one can write fast with it without catching paper), almost WITHOUT line variation, and I don't think it should be difficult to use at all.

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

Which has the better handling? the Resin or the metal body?

I prefer the metal body Falcon, especially when posted, because it feels much more substantial in my hand---I do prefer heavy pens to light ones, though, and I know that some folks here have disparaged the metal Falcon because they prefer light pens. I think your best bet is to try both in person and see which you like better, or if you don't have the opportunity, at least make your decision based on your preference for heavy or light pens.

So looks like no one else has tried using the Falcon as an eyedropper =) Perhaps that's just as well - John Mottishaw said that the internals might get wonked out if used as such, with direct contact with the ink. Unfortunate! But it was interesting to see that someone else was recommended that route and they'd been using it like that...

Wow, it's like I don't even exist here. Not a single acknowledgement or reply to either of my posts... As a new person I'm not sure if it's because I don't have a high post count, or if what I asked was really stupid. But doesn't look like I'm about to find out either way...?

Wow, it's like I don't even exist here. Not a single acknowledgement or reply to either of my posts... As a new person I'm not sure if it's because I don't have a high post count, or if what I asked was really stupid. But doesn't look like I'm about to find out either way...?

Cowboy up. Your question was of the type, "does anyone do this seemingly very rare activity?" On forums, people generally don't post a "no" in response, else you'd see 10,000 of them. You'd probably get a much better response if you posted a thread with pics on "how to ED your falcon" with a review of performance.

Steve

I don't know about the Falcon, but pens with metal parts that come in contact with ink could become corroded, so converting such pens to eyedroppers is not recommended.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I'd like to buy my son his first FP. The Namiki Falcon is of interest. It appears to be a quality pen with a very nice, soft nib. One I hope he could appreciate years from now.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with this pen.

What is comfortable?

How was the filling mechanism?

OOTB nib quality (i.e., slit and tipping material on center, smooth)

Praise?

Criticism?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

My friend ordered this from richardspens.com and I was able to dip it and try the M nib---what a lovely and smooth writing pen! Do not be worried about the flex; it is not vintage flex and it is not fussy or extreme in the slightest....

• 4 months later...

I use dropper to fill up Falcon, more ink and have no problems. I use small SF nib and it is more than enough for me. I think anything thicker would be too much for me as with the flex it has it would creare really thick lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiming in late. I am noticing that the more experience I get with fountain pens, the more I like my Metal Falcons. This week better than last week, this month much better than last month, this year......, well you get the idea. ;-)

The reason: I can handle the soft flex better, and have learned to make use of it in my writing. Plus, the pen is rugged. I use it as a kubotan. I hammer nails with it. It is armor piercing. I pry open safes with it. I engrave my name on diamonds with it.

Ha, that was fun. ;-)

I love my Metal Falcons.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Is the nib on the metal version the same as on the resin version?

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

Is the nib on the metal version the same as on the resin version?

I don't have a resin Falcon, but since when does lack of personal experience interfere with a forum reply? ;=)

My understanding is that both the metal and the non-metal Falcons come with the same complement of nibs. Frankly, after handling both, I felt the Metal Falcons were worth the extra $. YMMV. Oh, I also like the red lacquered ones, and I'm not certain if the resin ones come in that color.

Here's my red Metal Falcon:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2v10k7q.jpg

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I prefer the metal falcon too, really sturdy and has a nice weight to it.

Mine was initially scratchy and troublesome with an SF nib. So I sent it off to be narrowed and sorted: now it's a joy to use :happyberet:

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one with the ExtraFine Nib?

It is magnificent.

Better contrast with its thin and thick lines.

Not scratchy at all.

I have a SEF nib too. Fully agree with what you said about the line contrast.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought the namiki falcon (my first FP) after reading the reviews. Mine is a SF Black metal and apparently it came with the con-70 But there's something I must be doing wrong. The manual advice me to immerse the nib in the ink and push the button.....but the mechanism drops the ink back in the bottle the second time, so i don't get to fill the converter to the maximum. Am i Doing something wrong?

Make sure the nib is immersed up ONTO the edge of the section. This will keep air from getting in. Next, while depressing the button and letting go, KEEP THE NIB SUBMERGED IN THE INK AND LEAVE IT THERE FOR AT LEAST 5-10 SECONDS. The pen needs time to drink.

The convertor will NOT fill all the way to the top. A little air in the top is normal.

I use dropper to fill up Falcon, more ink and have no problems. I use small SF nib and it is more than enough for me. I think anything thicker would be too much for me as with the flex it has it would creare really thick lines.

Thanks for that comment. The dour statements about 'lasts only a few pages' seemed bad, so the SF 'lasts longer' makes sense.

I've not seen an ESF advertised. John Mottishaw doesn't offer them.

I'm torn between the 'semi flex' of the Namiki and the (supposedly) better flex in the Pilot 742 'Falcon' or AF nib.

Dave

----------------------------

Cambs, UK

http://www.dpawson.co.uk