The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

New Classifieds Functionality

classifieds push ad bump

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 17:07

For what ever reason the software shows how long the listing has left versus the list date. For instance a brand new listing made an hour ago would say "Time Left" 179 days and 23 hours. Listings run for 180 days. So you can tell how long a listing has been running by subtracting the time left from 180 days. You will notice that they are not always in time order, that is because people are allowed to periodically 'bump' their ads.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Sponsored Content

#22 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 17:17

For what ever reason the software shows how long the listing has left versus the list date. For instance a brand new listing made an hour ago would say "Time Left" 179 days and 23 hours. Listings run for 180 days. So you can tell how long a listing has been running by subtracting the time left from 180 days. You will notice that they are not always in time order, that is because people are allowed to periodically 'bump' their ads.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just saying that having the list date would be incredibly helpful as subtracting days from 180 is not. It's very cumbersome and if you don't peruse the listings often, you might not remember what the total day count is–or at least I don't. Dates would be helpful.

#23 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,658 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 17:26

I agree with you on that, maybe the next version of the Classifieds software will allow that.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#24 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2014 - 19:11

I think this is in accordance with the use at auctions like Ebay, where the time left to react is given.

The time a classified was active used to be 30 days, and the time left was then helpfull.

Now the running time is extended to 180 days, and the use of time left seems a bit awkward now.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#25 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:38

Another difficulty I have had is that there seems to be a time after which ads can't be edited, despite ads now lasting for 180 days.

I have an ad that I tried to edit and couldn't. My only option was to close it and it still had more than a month to run before it expired. That meant I can't put sold on it, or reduce the price if it hasn't sold. I don't see why there should be a problem with being able to edit for the duration of the ad.

#26 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 19:47

I just posted my first Classified listing and the images do not display correctly. My original images is rotated left for some reason. So I tried rotating to the right and re-uploading, which didn't work, so I rotated twice more, which should have left me with one out of four images that displayed correctly. It didn't.

Is this a known issue? I have not see this problem with other listings. Thanks!

Edited by GeekyGirl, 14 October 2014 - 19:53.

#27 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 20:05

GeekyGirl,

My guess is that you took that picture with your phone, and then rotated it on your computer using a photo viewing program, but without actually editing the photo.  I've had the same problem.  It seems the two seem to clash over telling the software which edge is up.

I decided to help a Carolina Girl out, and fixed it for you.

--Dale

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#28 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 20:12

GeekyGirl,

a

My guess is that you took that picture with your phone, and then rotated it on your computer using a photo viewing program, but without actually editing the photo.  I've had the same problem.  It seems the two seem to clash over telling the software which edge is up.

I decided to help a Carolina Girl out, and fixed it for you.

--Dale

Oh wow, you even "fixed" my disclaimer as well. Thanks Dale!

–Yes, I did take it on my phone but it imports to my computer with the correct orientation. The odd thing was that I duplicated three times, rotating each ¼ turn (at least one should be correct),  the rotated images uploaded with incorrect orientations. Thanks again!

Edited by GeekyGirl, 14 October 2014 - 20:14.

#29 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 20:17

–Yes, I did take it on my phone but it imports to my computer with the correct orientation. The odd thing was that I duplicated three times, rotating each ¼ turn (at least one should be correct),  the rotated images uploaded with incorrect orientations. Thanks again!

I've had the same problem, before.  And not only on this forum.  All I did to fix it was download the image, open it in an image editing software, rotate it, save it as a new image, and upload the new image.  I don't know enough about how JPGs work to know what's going on specifically, but I've only ever had it happen with phone pics.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#30 lavie

lavie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 21:38

Go to the search box, top right underneath the black bar at the top of the page, and click on the right hand side cog, that is the advanced search button...

Thanks Chrissy!

#31 loily

loily

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:32

Hi, I'm a newbie, and hope I'm posting in the right place. Can you tell me how to search the Classifieds? I'm looking for particular brand of pen, and I can't believe that the only option is to browse through 1000+ ads? And if I want to revisit a particular one I found, do I have to browse through 1000+ again to find that needle (pen!) in the haystack?

So many pens, so little time. penfiend.com

#32 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:57

Hi, I'm a newbie, and hope I'm posting in the right place. Can you tell me how to search the Classifieds? I'm looking for particular brand of pen, and I can't believe that the only option is to browse through 1000+ ads? And if I want to revisit a particular one I found, do I have to browse through 1000+ again to find that needle (pen!) in the haystack?

Hi Loili

I could tell you, but  posting a question in a topic while the answer is given a few posts back,  that would be too easy.

So, look up ^^^^^^

D.ick

~

~

#33 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 22:00

Or look back. The answer is on page one of this thread

#34 lavie

lavie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:04

Go to the search box, top right underneath the black bar at the top of the page, and click on the right hand side cog, that is the advanced search button.

Type your search into the box, in quotes if you want to be specific i.e. "Parker 51" Then select you want to search in Classifieds, scroll down and press the search button and voila you should see all Parker 51's for sale in our Classifieds

Chrissy - I just noticed your flag, which I did not recognize. So I looked it up, and saw that it is the Welsh flag.

I'm curious: must all fountain pens in Wales be filled with Diamine's "Red Dragon" ink???

:)

Lavie

#35 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 14,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:44

Chrissy - I just noticed your flag, which I did not recognize. So I looked it up, and saw that it is the Welsh flag.

I'm curious: must all fountain pens in Wales be filled with Diamine's "Red Dragon" ink???

:)

Lavie

I guess leek-green is also allowed...

D.ick

~

~

#36 lavie

lavie

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:19

I guess leek-green is also allowed...

D.ick

Dat klopt...