• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• TorPelikan

• Tasmith

From these beautiful pics, the Kultur is coming in gold tone accents, and the remaining difference with the Phileas will be the two-tone nib of the Phileas and maybe the metal tube in the barrel? Nice.

Oh yes, the gold cap rim ring isn't there.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My father used to order the Kulturs by the dozen to give to clients... so those are some of the first pens I wrote with. I think there are still a bunch of them in a closet in my parents' house.

• 11 months later...

Thought I would reserect this topic because I have just snapped up a new, boxed blue for £10.

Sellers image,

fpn_1429377085___59.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just curious,

How do these compare with say, the Phileas from around 2003? Are the bodies the same form factor?

I posted elsewhere in the Waterman section about a busted Waterman I am trying to get fixed.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296172-restoring-a-broken-phileas/

Do the nib sections on these pens interchange with the older Phileas barrels and caps? Odd question I know, but the parts for Phileas pens are getting expensive.

Kultur's come in many guises.

The Kultur's shown above have a two piece barrel with the plain barrel ring. The Phileas has a cigar band so the barrel has a small recess where the band fits. The end cap (tassie) is identical.

The sections are interchangeable, the only difference being the Kultur nib is either 100% gold plated or not plated at all.

The only difference with the cap is the lack of a band.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

fpn_1403108279__hpim1212.jpg

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

fpn_1403108422__kultur3.jpg

. . . but they don't have a gold tone clip, clutch ring and two tone nib . . . for $29.99 plus spares . . .

. . . nor Lara Croft, Tombraider . . . foolish price that, though . . .

Does anyone else find that the Kulturs dry out too easily? They dry out much, much faster than my Phileas does.

I find that all my modern C/C pens dry out too fast, except one other brand. The Kulturs that I have used the most are the Tombraider ones, and I didn't think they dried out too fast. There is a difference in the feel of a Kultur fine nib with respect to the Phileas fine nib, though, so the Kulturs might also dry out faster. The Phileas feels softer and less sharp.

Kulturs do dry out fast.

Their caps have no inner cap, and the air leaks from the cap-top.

Also, some of my Kultur's cap are loose fit.

They are not satisfactory sealed so the nib dry out fast.

I tried to seal the cap-top from inside and have to see the result.

Tor

Kulturs do dry out fast.

Their caps have no inner cap, and the air leaks from the cap-top.

Also, some of my Kultur's cap are loose fit.

They are not satisfactory sealed so the nib dry out fast.

I tried to seal the cap-top from inside and have to see the result.

Tor

That's a good enough reason for the pens drying out too fast. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up

After sealing the air leak, I had my Kultur left unused untouched for a week.

To my surprise, it wrote immediately without any sign of condensed ink.

I used glue gun, but the clearance between the cap and the nib was so tight, I have to struggle removing the excess glue from the cap.

Only a little amount of sealant required if applied properly, I believe.

fpn_1443165739__phileas_cap.jpg

regards

Thanks. I might take a Kultur and try to seal that leak with shellac. Shellac can be gotten out with alcohol if necessary. At work, when I was still using pens, I kept a small bottle of water at my desk so that I could wet the nib of any pen gone dry. This usually worked to get the ink flowing.

This has pretty much become academic for me, because I don't use fountain pens much now that I am retired. A Pelikan, Waterman or Montblanc ballpoiint bought to accompany a fountain pen in days of yore suffices now to tick items off of the grocery list. At least they are nice ballpoints.

• 1 month later...

A nice Kultur...in Ruby Red

attachicon.gifKulturCoralRed_02.JPG

That's a really nice one!