The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Collection And Curation - What Principles Do You Use?

collection curation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 de_pen_dent

de_pen_dent

Tropical islander

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:03

I generally dont buy pens to fit them into a collection - each pen i buy is b/c there is something about its design that appeals to me.     Looking at what I've acquired over the past year or so, I see maki-e, celluloid and unique filling mechanisms as being 3 features that are of particular interest to me:   some pens I've got include the Sailor Kinrei, Platinum Year of the Tiger, Visconti Desert Springs, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Omas Paragon Arco, Sailor Sustake, Gates City Readyfill, etc. 

The only series which i could be said to collect is the Montblanc Writers Edition - but even there, I am not buying just for the sake of completing the collection.   The pen has to appeal to me on its own merit, as well.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Sponsored Content

#42 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:10

First, the pen has to appeal to me aesthetically. Then it has to feel comfortable in my hand. I can love the nib or like it and adjust it later. Lastly, it has to fit my budget.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#43 Sandy Fry

Sandy Fry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:18

I have no set preference as to brand or type ( c/c, piston, button filler...etc. ) and my only condition is that I like it. I don't really care about reviews all that much.

How many times have you read the reviews on a movie that hype it up to be a " must see " and it ends up being a stinker of a movie!!!!???

I think YOU have to choose for YOU.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the
domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which
no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

#44 kpyeoman

kpyeoman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 23:37

I started with the familiar "it's shiny and people like it" approach to acquiring pens.  I ended up divesting of a lot of those (as many do at the completion of "phase 1") after some contemplation about what pens really made me happy.

Generally, my collection consists of black pens with rhodium/chrome/silver furniture.  I find this combination to be elegant; it also isn't as attention-grabbing as colourful and gold trimmed pens.  My pens always have a strong degree of harmony when grouped together in my 3 pen pouch.

I have a few sub-groupings as well:  demonstrators, all metal (stainless steel, palladium, chrome, etc.) and black "stealth."

A large portion of my collection is made up of Sheaffers, especially those with inlaid nibs (with the exception of a palladium/silver PFM, I think I've got all of the rhodium-trimmed/plated inlaid nibs).

I've also started collecting Imperials as I feel that they're almost the perfect pen in size, width, balance and aesthetics.

#45 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:25

I collect Montblanc Writers Edition pens.  

I also have other Montblancs which I use on a daily basis

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, curation

Sponsored Content

|