The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Collection And Curation - What Principles Do You Use?

collection curation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 HawkinsBee

HawkinsBee

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 00:06

I am trying to limit myself to 13 and trying to not keep duplicates of any model, but it is hard. I went a little Lamy Safari crazy in the beginning grabbing up the annual colors, but I seem to gravitate to Pilots (custom 74, VP, falcon). I have been trying to purchase in such a way to be able experience a wide variety of modern pens with different features including a TWSBI Vac 700 and a FC Model 14. I just got a pair of Pelikan M400's that I haven't inked yet, but look amazing. I want an Edison, really tempted by the persimmon swirl. So yeah all over the place. I am sticking with modern pens for now as vintage seems a bit intimidating to me. But eventually maybe I will do 13 modern and 13 vintage. I like the bakers dozen of pens idea.

Sponsored Content

#22 ReverendPen

ReverendPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:10

Good luck with that!

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-31386.jpg?__rand=0.82852800+1268774216[/img]

#23 ReverendPen

ReverendPen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:13

By my calculations I only have to acquire ohhh about 15,000 more pens. :)
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-31386.jpg?__rand=0.82852800+1268774216[/img]

#24 scrivelry

scrivelry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:35

I like pretty colors.  I like desk pens.  (Most of which are black, so b contradicts a...)  I like cheap pens.  I like light pens that look traditional.  I like pink and red and green and yellow celluloids and can live with blue.I don't mind if my pens are missing jewels or if I have to improvise something to close the gap. 

In short, I have a larger than expected collection of what most people would consider junk.  It makes me happy.  Now if I could just find nibs for the ones who need them...

#25 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:56

As I called myself here on FPN Jotteraddict62. I started with the brass threads Jotters trying to get at lest one of each color [Good luck with that]. Anyway 1st gen Jotters to 2nd gen to 3rd gen and 4th gen. Oh yea matching pencils to boot, how many different models of mechanical pencils??? Well that is maybe 80 - 90% complete. Maybe...less...  So off I go in the direction of advertising Jotters.

Now I know that I will never ever get one of every Parker with advertising from 1954 - 1982 or so when Parker stopped making Jotters with brass threads in the caps. But that is not the point. It is the journey that counts. I showed some of my collection in Janesville WI last Nov 4th when the Rock County Historical Society sponsored the 125th anniversary exhibit of the Parker Pen Company.  I was talking with a young lady there and she said that she found a Jotter with the Hamms beer logo on it with the Hamms Bear on it. So cool it would be just to see one. Now I have a few Parker Jotter display cases I keep picking up that I can afford to to place the pens into the display case.

I am always on the lookout for the advertising Jotters. I like them because they are a window to the past. Think about it. How many pens did a company ordered? How many are still out there in the wild? How many went into the landfills?

I just received 3 SS Jotters 2 are  cap actuated  with Kaiser Jeep Corporation Toledo Ohio on the barrels. I have branched out to P21's, P45's, P51's & P Vac's. learning to restore the FP's. I have a little of each of the sub categories of the Jotter family.

By living near Janesville WI it is a good place to find Parkers. There are still a whole lot of former Parker employees that live in the area that have pens stashed away. I have an appointment with a man next week who's wife worked at the Janesville plant. Met him twice at two local auctions and now I going to see what they have and what I can buy from him.

I have to sign off for now. Need to finish cleaning house for the holiday. I am the host for this holiday.

If any of you have some advertising Jotters you want trade that you have doubles of and I have doubles of  or a fair trade of advertising Jotters for Parker FP's . I am always picking up Parkers and any other pen brand at auctions.

Like what my Dad has said to me: We are the keepers of what we collect. His hobbies are his stamp collection which my Sister will get. I am only going to get his cars and all the car parts for his 1969 Pontiac Catalina 2 Dr & his 1970 Catalina 4 Dr. I am glad I have 3 acres of land. [ I need a bigger garage ]

Enjoy the holiday

Ken

P.S. Anything Parker works for me. I passed up on some Parker FP's one time at a flea market and bought a metal Parker pen sign from the vendor. I figured that I can always find a Fp and not the sign.

Edited by JotterAddict62, 19 April 2014 - 04:42.

#26 kenshiro

kenshiro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:43

Fascinating stuff. Especially interesting to hear tales of the genesis of individual tastes.

I wonder what other specific 'restrictive' rules people have? For instance, I will never buy a pen that has engraving at or near the center of the barrel where the crook between my thumb and forefinger might rub against it (also I think it visually disrupts the look of pens), which disqualifies most Stipulas, an Aurora or two, etc.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

#27 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:54

About half the time, I basically kick back and let pens find me. This has worked well with guitars also. I go merrily and ignorantly along until I kind of trip over something that strikes my fancy, and if the price is right, I load it in the boot (so to speak). Every now and then, though, I get to jones-ing for something specific, then I have to go on a prospect and actively dig up the gem myself, preferably at the least possible cost to me.

ekfh5f.jpg

#28 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:55

Focus? What is that? The closest to any sort of focus is I don't have duplicates of any model.

If I include my ballpoints I have more Parker pens than anything else. If I only include fountain pens I have more Pelikan's than anything else. I haven't yet paid over $100 - have come close, but even then only once. I have a nice mix - mostly modern, but a few vintage/semi vintage.

Esterbrook J

Lamy Al Star

Noodler's Konrad

Parker 45 Flighter

Pelikan M150

Pelikan M205

Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell

Pilot Metropolitan

True Writer SIlver Anniversary

Waterman Phileas

Jinhao 159

Platinum Preppy (eyedropper)

Now the Preppy leaks although it has a nice fine nib, the 159's nib drives me nuts. It either needs work or replacement. As a result they rarely get used.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#29 PhanJamMN

PhanJamMN

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:58

I collect based on categories....

1.  EDC modern and vintage - these are my rotation pens.  Regularly inked and used daily. 

2.  "Iconic" brand and versions within said brands, modern and vintage - These are pens that may be inked and in my rotation or not.  Overlap with EDC.

3.  Pens no longer being made - rarely in the EDC rotation but can and sometimes are inked (not more than a week) and used at the desk. 

4.  Grail pens, in production or not, modern and vintage - not in rotation or inked.  Best versions I can find.  Can be duplicates of anything listed above

5.  flee market type pens where I can work on and polish my DIY restoration skills - just what it says.

Pretty anal but this systems works for my growning collection.

#30 tringle

tringle

Needful Things

• Member - Gold

• 1,104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:29

Can't have too many of any one pen. No real method here, just like shiny and interesting.

#31 FloatingFountain

FloatingFountain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 13:09

Oh, I've also found that I like 'shiny' better than 'vintage.' While I love the color and lever filling of my Copper Esterbrook J, it's not as shiny as my newer pens. The black one is, but it had cosmetic defects so it will be replaced. In the end, I'll probably stick to the black and copper. If I can find one, I'll also get a Snorkel, for the filling system, and that could very well be the extent of my vintage foray.

Playing the vintage game from Europe is very expensive regarding shipping, taxes and custom duties. An Esterbrook can easily get to cost you $100.

#32 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 13:23

I am attracted to the 144/145/Classique size MB's and have a few different models and nib sizes. I also have a number of Lami Safari's - the special, limited or out of production models (but by no means a complete set).

I am not really into vintage (save for my Pelikan 400nn, 500, and the Montblanc 644, the green striated 142 and the 2 P51's) and prefer modern. I have been through the "its shiny so I want it" phase, and have accumulated a reasonable number of decent pens. I think what I'd like to do is to trim these down to say 5 excellent pens, for regular use ( I very much admire the number and quality of pens in sblakers collection as shown in his Romillo thread for example).

#33 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 13:32

I think if I could only have one FP, it would be 10 or 15 Pelikan M215s.

ekfh5f.jpg

#34 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 13:34

I started with fountain pens based on many recommendations and common pens I saw here on FPN.  A Lamy 2000, Pelikan 200 and 805, and a Visconti HS.  In other words, no reason or rhyme.

Then I started to become very interested in vintage pens from the 30s through 50s.  Chasing the Parker "51" became a theme, but then I saw how good a Sheaffer from the same period could be.  Then I picked up an Estie J.  My collection started to grow with no end in sight and no thoughts of curating.  I still love looking for iconic pens from this era.  As an individual who dabbles in history, this time period is an amazing one from world history, and these pens are a small piece of it.

My second branch of my collection is now turning into pens from the Land of the Rising Sun.  The modern Platinum, Sailors, Pilots, and Nakayas are now among my best pens.  They are becoming my go-to pens for my home use while my Parker 51s still are the mainstay of my EDC.

Can it ever be completed?  Nope.  I haven't learned enough yet and figured out exactly what I'd like.  So I starting buying books and learning more.  That leads to more exploration and more opportunities to buy pens pens I love to use!

Buzz

#35 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 23:15

...Jotteraddict62.

I started with the brass threads Jotters trying to get at lest one of each color... ...1st gen Jotters to 2nd gen to 3rd gen and 4th gen.

Oh yea matching pencils to boot, how many different models of mechanical pencils?...

So off I go in the direction of advertising Jotters... ...every Parker with advertising from 1954 - 1982 or so when Parker stopped making Jotters with brass threads in the caps.

But that is not the point. It is the journey...

I am always on the lookout for the advertising Jotters. I like them because they are a window to the past...  ...How many pens did a company ordered? How many are still out there in the wild? How many went into the landfills?.

By living near Janesville WI it is a good place to find Parkers. There are still a whole lot of former Parker employees that live in the area that have pens stashed away. I have an appointment with a man next week who's wife worked at the Janesville plant. Met him twice at two local auctions and now I going to see what they have and what I can buy from him.

...Ken

like this "making use of local history" focus : )

it sounds as though you will be able to find supportive history/ephemera, if you choose to see what's out there.

Questions?

Have you included:

prototypes?

injection color shifts, which were set aside as undesirable? (or, fun End Of Day products, which might have occurred during color shifts).

advertisements?

salesman's samples?

employee newsletters/ephemera?

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#36 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 15:42

...Jotteraddict62.

I started with the brass threads Jotters trying to get at lest one of each color... ...1st gen Jotters to 2nd gen to 3rd gen and 4th gen.

Oh yea matching pencils to boot, how many different models of mechanical pencils?...

So off I go in the direction of advertising Jotters... ...every Parker with advertising from 1954 - 1982 or so when Parker stopped making Jotters with brass threads in the caps.

But that is not the point. It is the journey...

I am always on the lookout for the advertising Jotters. I like them because they are a window to the past...  ...How many pens did a company ordered? How many are still out there in the wild? How many went into the landfills?.

...Ken

like this "making use of local history" focus : )

it sounds as though you will be able to find supportive history/ephemera, if you choose to see what's out there.

Questions?

Have you included:

prototypes?

injection color shifts, which were set aside as undesirable? (or, fun End Of Day products, which might have occurred during color shifts).

advertisements?

salesman's samples?

employee newsletters/ephemera?

Yes,all of the above but no prototypes yet.

I have an appointment on April 25 with a man who's wife worked at the Parker plant.

See what they have to sell..

I do have a 51 Jotter without the metal tip protector with the hot stamp [ Stolen From John Doty [ 51 Ballpoint ]. There was an employee that worked there with that name I was told from an former employee I met on Nov 4th last year.

I have a white window Jotter with black or gray [ lunchroom ] that looks cool from the inside of the window.

I just picked up a small placard  that would hang on a pegboard that says Parker and Eversharp ballpoint refills.

It has two hooks for the pegboard and two arms to hold the blister pack refills.

Ken

#37 colrehogan

colrehogan

Pt Pd

• Member - Gold

• 888 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 18:33

I like some of the 'ooh pretty' pens too, but try to limit those. Instead, my long term goal is to get a 149 in every nib size. I am looking to get the current nib sizes.

Edited by colrehogan, 20 April 2014 - 18:35.

Smith Premier No. 4

#38 tomgartin

tomgartin

coffee black, whiskey neat.

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 20:51

I'm a user. My pens are tools. I have a modest assortment ("collection" doesn't quite apply) that includes a couple Indian ebonite eyedroppers, TWSBI, Kaweco, and a couple Parkers.
They're all interesting to me, and they give me joy when writing.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested.  :)

#39 madden11

madden11

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 22:09

When I first the joined the archaic and eccentric fountain pen family about 2 months ago, I was buying anything that caught my eye...and made some regrettable purchases. I am now learning to restrain my spending and refine my tastes. I want pens that give me a truly enjoyable writing experience. Here's my equation:

Vintage + inexpensive + an excellent writer = Esterbrook. Lawd knows I love me some Esties!! I have just a couple so far and am on the prowl for more. Also just purchased a nice 2048 fine flex nib; I want various nib sizes for different writing experiences. As a divergent, I would also like to acquire one or two Montblancs, modern or vintage, but my true focus lies with the Esterbrook.

#40 toomanypelikans

toomanypelikans

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 22:49

My main themes are 

1. Pelikan
  2. Interesting nibs
  3. Waterman Preface