ellenspn

Has anyone else gotten a bottle or sample of this. I was so smitten by the name and swap I didn't get a sample first (gasp).

[attachment=251456:13890258362_be83b79859_z.jpg]

I'm hoping the picture shows....this time...

post-112410-0-14255400-1397756991_thumb.jpg

Edited by ellenspn

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• ellenspn

• white_lotus

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered a bottle the second I saw the colour on Organic Studios' Facebook page. LOVE it.

Get some. :)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_merle_wahl.jpg

I love your artwork.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks amberleadavis.

The ink made me do it . . .
The pen had a lot to answer for though too if Im honest. :rolleyes:

Nice job on the art. Seeing the color in your artwork is the first time I have seen a sample of Blue Merle and thought it was a color I would be interested in.

I just tried my sample of this a couple of days ago, and I like it a whole lot. I've been somewhat disappointed in a lot of the Organics Studio inks for one reason or another (most recently Aristotle, which I found to be really wishy-washy for something that is supposed to be an iron gall blue-black).

Blue Merle, on the other hand is what I think I was expecting from Aristotle colorwise. It seems relatively well behaved, with only a tiny bit of feathering on moderately crappy paper, and almost no showthrough, even when the Noodler's Creaper it's in was heavily flexed. On Rhodia, there was no feathering or showthrough at all; plus, I think there might even be the tiniest amount of sheen on the flexed part. Definitely a keeper ink for me -- I'm putting in an order for a full bottle next week, once I narrow down what else I want to buy this time around.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I ordered a bottle the second I saw the colour on Organic Studios' Facebook page. LOVE it.

Get some. :)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_merle_wahl.jpg

Lovely artwork!!!

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

They hit this spot on with the color of some of my dogs.

post-112410-0-06876300-1397789706_thumb.jpg

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

Gorgeous dog !

Now I have daylight, here's a snap (colour corrected of course) of my Blue Merle swatch.

It does come up slightly bluer in my Stilman & Birn sketchbook which is why I wanted to put up this swatch.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_merle_swatch.jpg

Gorgeous dog !

Now I have daylight, here's a snap (colour corrected of course) of my Blue Merle swatch.

It does come up slightly bluer in my Stilman & Birn sketchbook which is why I wanted to put up this swatch.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_blue_merle_swatch.jpg

Thanks! He was. I miss him every day. I have two crazy black tri aussies now.

I'm really glad you posted this sample. My paper is a yellowish cream and probably not the best notebook for sampling inks in. But it was in the house and of slightly better quality than the rest of my stuff. I see the slippery slope I'm on now. First the pen, then ink samples, then ink, then paper...sigh..

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I'm really glad you posted this sample. My paper is a yellowish cream and probably not the best notebook for sampling inks in. But it was in the house and of slightly better quality than the rest of my stuff. I see the slippery slope I'm on now. First the pen, then ink samples, then ink, then paper...sigh..

Aww, I'm sorry.

As for the swatch sample. It's a pleasure. Enjoy the slippery slope . . . :D

My word Tas, beautiful artwork. Even the swatch is great.

Gorgeous ink too, the name is just perfect.

The artwork is beautiful. I want to write with this ink now, though my handwriting has nothing to do with beauty.

And then before you know it you'll be buying more pens and ink; and then a loupe, repair tools, a bookcase to hold the stash.... :lol:

Yup, you've found yourself amidst a international conspiracy of enablers. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Nice avatar, by the way -- what is it? I've got a Kromski Mazurka; and a badly behaving Ashford Traditional that I got for cheap in an antiques store in NJ a few years ago (and my Ashford guru, who used to help me adjust the scotch tension, moved to Indiana someplace). Also a no-name that a friend inherited from her mom, who bought it from some door-to-door salesman when my friend was a kid, but unfortunately I lost some parts during the move from MA to PA.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And then before you know it you'll be buying more pens and ink; and then a loupe, repair tools, a bookcase to hold the stash.... :lol:

Yup, you've found yourself amidst a international conspiracy of enablers. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Nice avatar, by the way -- what is it? I've got a Kromski Mazurka; and a badly behaving Ashford Traditional that I got for cheap in an antiques store in NJ a few years ago (and my Ashford guru, who used to help me adjust the scotch tension, moved to Indiana someplace). Also a no-name that a friend inherited from her mom, who bought it from some door-to-door salesman when my friend was a kid, but unfortunately I lost some parts during the move from MA to PA.

I have the loupe already and I'm not afraid to use it ;)

The wheel is a Rick Reeves 1840. Not my wheel, but I have an earlier model, along with 4 other models of his wheels. Yeah I'm a collector at heart. I also have a Louet S10, a Canadian Production wheel and a Minispinner. Been spinning for over 25 years.

Edited by ellenspn

Wool, doghair and ink

Ellenspn

I'm not really skilled or knowledgeable enough to do a full review. The color swatch at the Goulet site shows a grayish color, though they classify it as a "blue/black". I personally wouldn't call it that. But if you knew that a Blue Merle was a breed of Australian Shephard, then you'd see that they did find an excellent match.

But it seems to shade quite nicely, and I don't even know how to do that nor do I have pens that shade (just a generic medium nib). Here are a couple pictures from the iPhone.

I understand that I'm not supposed to use inkjet paper for fountain pens, but it's all I have. The nearest Office Depot-like store is 45 minutes away and I haven't gone yet to get the laser paper. Hopefully this will be useful.

I like the ink,

post-111275-0-55191300-1398116129_thumb.jpg

post-111275-0-48494200-1398116132_thumb.jpg

post-111275-0-18938400-1398116124.jpg

post-111275-0-91001000-1398116126.jpg

I also have a Kromski, a Minstrel, which I love. A portion of it cracked after six years and Kromski replaced it, no questions asked. I was quite impressed. She is probably my favorite possession.

"Wer schweigt, stimmt zu."

White Lotus great job!

No, you are supposed to use whatever paper you have hanging 'round.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks amberleadavis!

I know I'd like to use some papers that others use, just so they can get a better idea how the ink behaves. But I know I'm a renegade as I like my Moleskine notebooks in spite of their being completely unsuitable for Tsuki-yo :crybaby: .

In looking at the other sheets I've done, the OS Blue Merle is similar in value to the J. Herbin Bleu Nuit. So not strongly saturated, but moderate.