New Lamy 2000 from Oscar Braun!

MikeLip

So I had purchased a L2K from Swisher Pens. Nice pen, but the fine nib was too broad for me and I sold it here. I noticed Oscar Braun selling L2Ks for a very good price, so I took a chance (I never heard of anyone here doing business with them) and sent them a check. They shipped the day I put my check in the mail - trusting! They just went on my word. The pen arrived today and I am *very* pleased with the width and smoothness of the extra fine nib. They even tossed in a pad of Lamy marked notepaper, which is quite heavy, smooth and nice. I got the pen in two days. Great service, great pen, great price!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeLip

• BillTheEditor

• rroossinck

• -Paolo-

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Mike.

I needed another place to shop. I bought everything Joon and isellpens had dry.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Sounds great - I've really enjoyed my 2 Lamys with EF nibs, but once I got my VP, it was clear that they're probably true F points. Enjoy your pen!

QUOTE (EventHorizon @ Feb 28 2007, 10:39 PM)
Thanks Mike.
I needed another place to shop. I bought everything Joon and isellpens had dry.gif

I'm here to serve! wink.gif

Can you provide a sample of how the pen writes?

I'm interested in buying one and having a tough time picking between fine and extra fine.

Thanks

Here you go. I grabbed everything I have inked and wrote a line. Notice how fine the Pilot 78G is - that's one fine nib! The Lamy 2000 extra fine is about on a par with the Sailor fine. The Vista fine is about as wide as I like, but I do like how the Rotring writes, so I'll keep that one!

I'm always impressed with the Pilot though. Sweet fine line and a very smooth nib!

post-4-1172704451_thumb.jpg

QUOTE (-Paolo- @ Feb 28 2007, 04:53 PM)
Can you provide a sample of how the pen writes?
I'm interested in buying one and having a tough time picking between fine and extra fine.

Right click image and "Save as".

Print saved image -- adjust size of printed image so grid squares are 5 mm on a side. This will give you a true picture of the width of the line from the F nib. I believe the writing as you see it on your monitor will appear much thicker than it actually is on the original -- that is why you must save, adjust, and print as I have suggested.

The F nib is very smooth. It flexes a little, so pressure will cause a wider line. My normal pressure is very light. The line width also varies with the ink and the paper. I believe these three factors account for the dissatisfaction some on FPN have expressed with the width of the F nib, or those who say it produces a M or wider line.

So, even with a hundred images of writing from users, YMMV.

post-4-1172705369_thumb.jpg

I took the larger one resized it on the monitor and held up my own 5mm grid paper.

Almost writes like my Medium point.

Mike, the Lamy 2000 has some variety in color too, something thats nice to have.

I think it's settled, i'm going to look for a Lamy 2k smile.gif

The 2000 seems to be a pretty wet writer. The ink used is a 50-50 mix of Private Reserve Naples Blue and Noodlers Swishmix Glacier Blue. I really like the combination!

I don't think you will regret buying the Lamy. Let us know how it goes!

I think you're right Bill about these Lamys writing a wider line due to a bit of flex - not "flex" as in Waterman 52 flex, but enough to create a more substantial line. Anyway, congrats on the new Lamy. I hope you enjoy it!

QUOTE (-Paolo- @ Feb 28 2007, 05:46 PM)
I took the larger one resized it on the monitor and held up my own 5mm grid paper.

Almost writes like my Medium point.

Glad my grid gambit worked! Thanks for letting me know -- might use that trick again some time.

So you're going to get the XF nib? I know you'll enjoy your new pen!

Pam (Oscar Braun) has some great prices and pens, and ships very promptly--very good service from what I can tell on the boards, and my own experience has been positive.

Ditto what others have said about the pen itself; I load mine with Noodler's Black for the finest line, and it's a workhorse.

Wow - congrats on your purchase! I ordered a 2000 from swisherpens on the 25th, but apparently they're out of stock (they told me after I ordered dry.gif), so I have to wait 10 days - 2 weeks for it to come in and then the usual 1-2 weeks for it to get here. Oh well. biggrin.gif

My Lamy 2000 arrived from Pam yesterday and I love it. Pam is great to work with,is prompt ,will get you the best prices,and is very honest.She shipped out my pen on my word that I would be mailing my check.I have now ordered a Sailor Saporro extra fine point from her.

after reading so many positive reviews of Pam's service i definitely plan on doing business with Oscar Braun as soon as i'm in the market for a new pen. i sure would like to get a Lamy 2000, not to mention a few others as well... cool.gif

EDIT: holy (bleep), i was checking out their site, and theres a M400 white tortoise listed for $99. i know theyre prices are really low, but wow. typo perhaps?

their prices for the pilot VP and namiki falcon are great too, among others. damnit, why do i have to be broke?!

Edited by Latro21

-Nick

I'm with you. I have blown my load (pardon me) on pens + ink for a while, but the deals at Pam's website are trying to suck me back in again... The M605 is killing me, and I really want a 1911 medium or M/F, and I would love to save up for an Arco milord (but I think I'd rather have an old style Arco paragon...)

FYI: $99.00 for an M400 white tortoise is correct. If I did not already own one, I would definitely be buying one now...

My birthday is on Monday. I'm pretty much guaranteeing that if I don't get a trade offer for an XF L2K this weekend, I'm going to order one from her on Monday. I've heard nothing but awesome things about her, and I've talked to her on the phone a couple of times and she's a sweetheart!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Treating oneself to a birthday present ... a fantastic idea. And a policy I love carrying out each year.

Edited by JRodriguez

What about all the other 360+ days to buy pen and treat yourself besides birthday, Christmas, Anniversary etc. biggrin.gif