The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Premium Browns: Tsukushi Vs Hazelnut Brown

graf von faber-castell pilot

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: BROWNS (57 member(s) have cast votes)

And the winner is

1. HAZELNUT BROWN, Graf von Faber-Castell (31 votes [54.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.39%

2. TSUKUSHI, Pilot Iroshizuku (26 votes [45.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:36

The new bottles more than doubled the price of Akkerman ink, what a disapointment.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Sponsored Content

#22 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2019 - 15:12

I used Tsukushi several years ago an liked it. Now, I have just got a bottle of the Hazelnut Brown as a gift. I haven't really had a chance to test it extensively but I think it's worth to add that it's a document ink which conforms to the ISO 12757-2 standard.

DSC_0847~2.JPG

More about the ISO 12757 can by found in the Sandy1 post http://www.fountainp...e/#entry1777911

#23 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 22:53

I would pick neither.

Funny how Tsukushi is too dark and muddy in the splash and too purple through a pen.

#24 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 00:46

I've been using the GvFC Hazelnut Brown for over two months and thought I could contribute a bit to the thread.

Overall, although I'm not a fan of brown inks, I rather like the Hazelnut for it's ballanced set of properties: permanent, well lubricating, good flow, reasonably good on copy paper (no extensive feathering), fast drying and rather well saturated. It somehow reminds me Pelikan Edelstein inks.

Samples of ink in various nibs/pens on Tomoe River and Clairmail 60:

33547691588_866436d3d3_k.jpg
On cream Tomoe River

33547697308_c9db5adffa_k.jpg
On Clairmail 60

And another review from one of my favourite reviewers:
https://inksnibs.com...-faber-castell/

#25 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:52

I had the benefit of being able to see actual physical swabs of these inks (among others) at a brick and mortar store, PenGallery, recently. On that basis I lean very slightly in favour of the GvFC Hazelnut. The main reason is that Tsukushi shows a slight hint of a green component in the colour. It's hard to see in the samples shown in this thread; it is a little more obvious in person. A green component (or even green sheen) in a brown ink is one of my ink colour pet peeves, and so Tsukushi loses a few points because of that. However, Tsukushi's greatest redeeming quality is its complexity, which gives it depth and character. The water resistance is quite surprising too, and certainly very welcome. That's why Tsukushi lags only very slightly behind Hazelnut in my order of preference.

That said, my all time favourite brown ink has always been Waterman brown (aka Havana Brown, aka Absolute Brown- one does lose track of such multitudinous renamings...) It's a pity Waterman Brown has such abysmal water resistance; the quest for a Waterman Brown twin with slightly better water resistance is a perpetual quest of mine. Alas, I haven't seen any dead ringers for it so far. My search continues...

#26 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:20

I’m a bit confused about the ISO certification of Hazelnut Brown as it has rather poor water resistance, and so it’s not actually permanent. I feel safer writing with Herbin’s Lie de Thé, for example.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graf von faber-castell, pilot

Sponsored Content

|