The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

WTH? Is This A Joke?

montegrappa limited edition guardian angel italy advertising pr horrible

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 scratchofapen

scratchofapen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2017 - 18:23

Well, i am sure theese will have their fans. Don't fotget they seem to sell these
overladden pens. In my eyes they are butt ugly pretentous kitsch, but that is just me.
I am sure in my collection there are pens that don't appeal tosomeone with other taste.
To each one the pen he likes.

To the marketing, i do not think the comic style is adequate to an item in this price range....

Sponsored Content

#82 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 00:11

The funniest part about the video in the first post is that there is three population targeted:

- People that like comics

- People that are pretty religious

- People that have the money to spend on such a pen.

I don't see how much all those three overlap.

#83 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 14:54

Well hold on to your wigs and saddle your pigs! Check this one out:

Clearly catering to the CEO who wishes he were a biker but doesn't have the cahones. 

That being said, I see this sort of thing as an "art" piece to get people's attention rather than something they actually intend to sell.

Edited by KellyMcJ, 09 December 2017 - 14:58.

#84 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2017 - 15:04

good CGI = expensive, and cheap CGI = does not work. I remember Games of Throne producers were stating that they only wanted to shot dragon screen when it was a must due to the cost.

U guys are laughing now but I think this one edition is pretty. The set is too expensive for me though:

Montegrappa-Eternal-Bird-Silver-Fountain

You have to see the ink pot of the Eternal Bird edition:

Montegrappa-Limited-Edition-Eternal-Bird

That is pretty cool. It does not look comfortable to write with, but it's pretty cool. If I had a skillion dollars and wanted a pen to sit around in a display case and not write with, I'd buy it.

#85 banjomike

banjomike

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Location:80 miles west of the Tetons, 40 miles from civilization
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:11

They must see a market that would go for this. There is the whole "Touched by an Angel" crowd that would love this (if it isn't beyond their price point). I can see a couple of televangelists buying one.

Yup! That's about the only market I can see that could afford them! 

Maybe this is an attempt to hit the young millennials with high incomes, but I suspect the pen is far too over-the-top for them. 

If it's a market experiment, it's a good one- it will be interesting to see just how well it will sell, and the demographics of the  group who buys them. 

There are so many changes happening so fast, that while this entire venture looks outrageously comical to me, who knows?  

While it's never going to be the pen for me, if it helps the Montegrappa fountain pen survive into the 21st century, and doesn't go extinct, it's all good as far as I see it.

#86 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:28

I will never be able to "unsee" that - how does a comic book ad sell  a hideously overdone expensive pen?

Thank you, or curse you, for sharing this.

IMO, sculptural pens are just for show. You really can't use them comfortable.

Edited by Greenie, 01 May 2018 - 05:30.

#87 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,886 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 20:05

I don't give a rat's *ss about Montegrappa's "craftsmanship".  It's an ugly pen.  And the video is just sort of mind-boggling.  (Like Greenie, I will never be able to "unsee" it.)  And no, it does not remind me one IOTA of the bronze doors of the Duomo in Florence.  I've SEEN the the bronze doors on the Baptistry.  Up close and in person.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edit for formatting issues

Edited by inkstainedruth, 01 May 2018 - 20:05.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#88 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2018 - 23:47

Kurt Vonnegut once said modern art was a conspiracy between starving, incompetent artists & rich people in order to make poor people feel stupid.

It this case, I don't feel stupid :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, limited edition, guardian angel, italy, advertising, pr, horrible

Sponsored Content

|