The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Moore's Safety Pen Repair Question.

moore moores safety washer seal repair removal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scribe16

scribe16

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 19:17

Several months ago I posted a thread where i was looking for a Moore replacement nib for a nice, previously restored safety pen with an ill-fitting replacement nib. Even after several helpful leads given to me by members here I was unfortunately unable to find the nib and decided to return the pen, as nice as it was. 

I just acquired another Moore's safety pen in unrestored condition with the intent of restoring it. This pen has the correct nib but I face a new set of problems removing the washers and cork.

The last "restored" Moore pen I had was very easy to disassemble because someone had already gone through the trouble. The shaft unscrewed from the back knob easily and when I looked at the outermost threaded washer I noted that there were 2 small, shallow holes carefully drilled into the surface at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. This was obviously to assist someone in the unscrewing and replacement of the washer. 

When I went to disassemble this new pen of mine i found the outermost washer has no little holes to fit my tweezers in to unscrew it. 

I understand I will need to get a heat gun to carefully loosen these threads (there seems to be some shellac covering them) but how in world is a guy supposed to unscrew the washers and if there are no little holes to fit a tool into, how did those Bostonians even install the washers in the first place?

Well, I guess my question for the forum is: Am I correct in assuming that I will need to drill 2 tiny, shallow holes in the washer in order to turn it out? Even after applying heat I cannot imaging getting a grip on the washer any other way.

Thanks in advance for people's helpful advice,

Scribe16

Sponsored Content

#2 scribe16

scribe16

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 14:12

So, I took the advice rsilver000 gave in this thread here

http://www.fountainp...ety-pen-repair/

I filled the chamber with water for a day or so and the cork swelled up nice and tight and seems not to leak at all.  

However, I still need to get the nib and feed out so I can see what's clogging the feed and flush it out if possible. Can anyone tell me if i need to remove the seals at the back in order to push the nib and feed out or can I just the shaft out past the seals using a small tool?

Thanks,

Scribe16

#3 Estott

Estott

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2014 - 00:45

Hello- glad to find that this topic is active.

I have a Moore safety- slightly unusual (I think) since it is a stylograph. I've gotten the threaded washer out of the barrel, the cork seems a bit crumbly- I'll try a cold water soak overnight, but can anyone tell me how to replace it?

BTW- the cap has a red domed top, which I suspect was an indicator for the ink color.

#4 scribe16

scribe16

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 19:26

Hello- glad to find that this topic is active.

I have a Moore safety- slightly unusual (I think) since it is a stylograph. I've gotten the threaded washer out of the barrel, the cork seems a bit crumbly- I'll try a cold water soak overnight, but can anyone tell me how to replace it?

BTW- the cap has a red domed top, which I suspect was an indicator for the ink color.

I'm glad too. 

I haven't done this type of repair but here is a thread that someone posted on how to do it. 

If you go to Vintagepens.com, click Our Catalog and then Repairs and scroll down you will find a nice set of punches that are used to punch out rubber and cork seals from sheets. 

Hope that helps,

Scribe16

Edited by scribe16, 27 June 2014 - 19:26.

#5 Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 22:02

I am fiddling some month with my Moore and I can't get off the small fraking cap at the end. Soaking, heating, rubber and pliers, all to no avail.

#6 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:44

I'm having the same problem - have you solved it?

#7 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:34

Lots and lots of heat. It is hard rubber and can take it.  Grab the shaft close to the end cap/knob with your rubber coated section pliers (or cover needle nose pliers with something to keep from scraping the shaft/nib carrier), and twist off the end counterclockwise.

#8 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:32

That did it!  It was hard to tell from some pictures if ALL the shafts are screwed in - apparently the answer is yes, and a little persistence paid.

#9 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:02

And now on to repairing the seal... Try two O rings and a spacer and tell us how it goes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moore, moores, safety, washer, seal, repair, removal

Sponsored Content

|