Moore's Safety Pen Repair Question.

scribe16

Several months ago I posted a thread where i was looking for a Moore replacement nib for a nice, previously restored safety pen with an ill-fitting replacement nib. Even after several helpful leads given to me by members here I was unfortunately unable to find the nib and decided to return the pen, as nice as it was.

I just acquired another Moore's safety pen in unrestored condition with the intent of restoring it. This pen has the correct nib but I face a new set of problems removing the washers and cork.

The last "restored" Moore pen I had was very easy to disassemble because someone had already gone through the trouble. The shaft unscrewed from the back knob easily and when I looked at the outermost threaded washer I noted that there were 2 small, shallow holes carefully drilled into the surface at 12 and 6 o'clock positions. This was obviously to assist someone in the unscrewing and replacement of the washer.

When I went to disassemble this new pen of mine i found the outermost washer has no little holes to fit my tweezers in to unscrew it.

I understand I will need to get a heat gun to carefully loosen these threads (there seems to be some shellac covering them) but how in world is a guy supposed to unscrew the washers and if there are no little holes to fit a tool into, how did those Bostonians even install the washers in the first place?

Well, I guess my question for the forum is: Am I correct in assuming that I will need to drill 2 tiny, shallow holes in the washer in order to turn it out? Even after applying heat I cannot imaging getting a grip on the washer any other way.

Thanks in advance for people's helpful advice,

Scribe16

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scribe16

• Greenie

• LukeSkyliner

• Estott

So, I took the advice rsilver000 gave in this thread here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/161844-moores-non-leakable-safety-pen-repair/

I filled the chamber with water for a day or so and the cork swelled up nice and tight and seems not to leak at all.

However, I still need to get the nib and feed out so I can see what's clogging the feed and flush it out if possible. Can anyone tell me if i need to remove the seals at the back in order to push the nib and feed out or can I just the shaft out past the seals using a small tool?

Thanks,

Scribe16

• 2 months later...

Hello- glad to find that this topic is active.

I have a Moore safety- slightly unusual (I think) since it is a stylograph. I've gotten the threaded washer out of the barrel, the cork seems a bit crumbly- I'll try a cold water soak overnight, but can anyone tell me how to replace it?

BTW- the cap has a red domed top, which I suspect was an indicator for the ink color.

Hello- glad to find that this topic is active.

I have a Moore safety- slightly unusual (I think) since it is a stylograph. I've gotten the threaded washer out of the barrel, the cork seems a bit crumbly- I'll try a cold water soak overnight, but can anyone tell me how to replace it?

BTW- the cap has a red domed top, which I suspect was an indicator for the ink color.

I'm glad too.

I haven't done this type of repair but here is a thread that someone posted on how to do it.

If you go to Vintagepens.com, click Our Catalog and then Repairs and scroll down you will find a nice set of punches that are used to punch out rubber and cork seals from sheets.

Hope that helps,

Scribe16

Edited by scribe16

• 9 months later...

I am fiddling some month with my Moore and I can't get off the small fraking cap at the end. Soaking, heating, rubber and pliers, all to no avail.

• 6 months later...

Lots and lots of heat. It is hard rubber and can take it. Grab the shaft close to the end cap/knob with your rubber coated section pliers (or cover needle nose pliers with something to keep from scraping the shaft/nib carrier), and twist off the end counterclockwise.

That did it! It was hard to tell from some pictures if ALL the shafts are screwed in - apparently the answer is yes, and a little persistence paid.

And now on to repairing the seal... Try two O rings and a spacer and tell us how it goes.