Presidential Pens

Rhonlynn

There are multiple pens to consider.

The President's personal pen that he might carry, a desk pen for his desk, and the signing pens.

I recall seeing a pix of Kennedy with a Sheaffer desk set, but using Esterbrook Dipless to sign bills.

Also over time the pen they use may change. I think Johnson started with an Esterbrook Dipless, then changed to a felt tip.

If a pen was used for a bill signing, I understand that there is a document provided with the pen to provide documentation that it was used for a signing. I think the collectors call it provenence. Without that document, it is just a pen with the president's name on it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rhonlynn

• AAAndrew

• Florida Blue

• GTOZack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I contacted Mr. Loring's daughter. I'm getting a copy of Presidential Pens from her as soon as I'm paid.

Not certain if topic is only related to US Presidents but Mitterand was using Watermans, he was well known fan of this brand.

This is a very interesting thread. Thank you for it.

Edited by cleosmama

This is a really interesting topic. I have noticed that at bill signings (videotaped), that there are usually a lot of pens on the table, and that as the president signs the bills, he switches pen mid-signing so that there are actually a lot of bill-signing pens (he might use three or four pens for one bill). What happens to them after that? Are they presentation pieces? Or do they sell them for charity?

Thanks for this thread.

He usually gives them to the Bill's sponsors.

He usually gives them to the Bill's sponsors.

Like Sauron, giving Rings to Dwarves and Men...

• 2 weeks later...

Obama is using quite a number of custom made (signature) Cross Townsends

Don't quite get this, but why does Obama need so many different Cross pens to sign with. Also he seems to only use rollerball and not fountain pen.

I was looking through the White House Flickr stream and saw this Duofold on the desk of the oval office, always perched on the small box and never in use. Does anyone know why it's there?

post-105846-0-31174900-1399083397_thumb.png

My pens: Two Parker 45s, a Parker Jotter, a Pilot Custom 74 smoke demonstrator, a Lamy Studio, a Parker Sonnet Ciselé, and a Duofold International Citrine

Somewhere there is a recent thread of Putin signing an accord with a MB 149 …on another note, very interesting topic you have started…..

Edited by Sridhar

This is a cool thread and I can hear my wife laughing when I tell her about it!

It looks like you're close to the Eisenhower library in Abilene Ks. Probably 3 hours west of KC. We'll worth the trip.

Edited by matt385

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Great and interesting topic you have started. Hopefully Obama starts using his free FPN to sign treaties and documents with from now on.

Ben

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

This is a cool thread and I can hear my wife laughing when I tell her about it!

It looks like you're close to the Eisenhower library in Abilene Ks. Probably 3 hours west of KC. We'll worth the trip.

I forgot about the Eisenhower library! Coolio!

Somewhere there is a recent thread of Putin signing an accord with a MB 149 …on another note, very interesting topic you have started…..

Putin's probably been signing quite a lot lately!

''You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes''. A A Milne

I suspect President Obama uses a rollerball is because he is left-handed and doesn't want to smear his signature when signing treaties and bills. Kind of embarrassing.

Presidents for a while now, not sure when it started, sign important bills using pretty much a different pen for every letter. These pens are then distributed to bill sponsors and people important for the bill's passage, etc... as pens used by the president to sign a bill. It's similar to how flags are flown over the White House. They fly a lot of flags over the White House and give them out.

I saw a reference I'll try to find again to McKinley using a fountain pen after being shot and before he died to write his last note, or one of his last notes. I know I read it somewhere, but not sure where. If I find it, I'll post the reference.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

OK this is interesting, so assume when a president signs something does this mean that he or she does not use that same pen again, and that particular pen gets auctioned off. Would be interesting to see how much they go for

my understanding is that they give them away to people involved in the legislation. Now, if any of those get sold, I have no idea.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

For all the pens Obama and other presidents use to sign important legislations:

Who pays for these pens? And don't tell me taxpayers...

My apologies..I did not read through entire thread....

Fred

Edited by Freddy