The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Sheaffer Balance Cap Band Question

sheaffer balance cap band

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:35

One of my Ebay wins.  Sheaffer Balance, Carmine Red. somewhere around 1939 to the end of the Balance line.

After soaking the cap today there was what I assume to be some extremely stubborn ink on the gold cap band. After polishing a bit to get this ink off I noticed a very faint version of what you see highlighted in the picture but it was on the other side of the cap. Is what I noticed under where the ink was but is now gone some matching detail that I have removed that is now only left on one side or is this tarnish that just ended up making it appear that perhaps there was a design there?

Attached Images

• 2014-04-12 00.10.22.jpg

Edited by Ray Cornett, 12 April 2014 - 07:36.

Sponsored Content

#2 Wyre

Wyre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:33

This is a common thing to see on many fountain pens. Brassing of the cap bands from what looks like drawer wear. The tarnish will either be a dark brown or a dark green brown after much age. This is just where the gold was worn away.

Lay the pen on a flat surface and I am betting that there is a wear mark facing up, and one down. Depending on which directing the pocket clip is facing.

Edited by Wyre, 12 April 2014 - 10:34.

Fast, Cheap, Good... you  can choose two. 

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,186 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:34

What did you soak the cap in and was the cap submerged in the solution.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 21:19

I only soaked it in cool water from the cap for a while. However, after some polishing and buffing it seems to have worked itself out. Whatever it was seems to have been something on the surface. It now looks pretty much good as new all around.

Attached Images

• DSC_5571.jpg
  • DSC_5592.jpg

#5 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 21:51

My guess is that the band is brassed in that spot, and the cleaning/ buffing either revealed it or exacerbated it.

After a good polish, brass and gf look the same, and the band will appear intact.  However, if brassed, you'll see that marking again where the gold and brass tarnish differently.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#6 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 19:22

Absolutely common on these pens. It's a spot where the plating has worn off and exposed the base metal, brass. As Greg says, polishing will shine up the brass until it resembles the gold fill around it. However, it will eventually darken and look again as it did in the picture you posted above. The vast majority of pens of that age will show some form of brassing or another.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, balance, cap, band

Sponsored Content

|