• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• praxim

• Manalto

• Astronymus

For balance and keeping tabs on the cap I prefer caps posted.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

Usually unposted, but I don't mind having to post a pen, either, if the balance still fits.

Posted. Beware Cross Townsend owners that if you damage the cap posting over the years (decades), Cross cannot fix your pen.

I do not put my fingers on the section, which keeps my fingers out of ink and the pen at a shallower angle to the paper. I need the cap for the length.

I find this question interesting as it arises in different venues. I like heavy rifles and pistols with longer barrels as well.

Lastly, I appreciate that I am mortal and that I am not keeping "treasures" for the next generation. I refuse to let my possessions dictate my behavior, to answer all this barrel-scratching concern.

• 5 months later...

I am definetly a poster. For me, a pen which cannot and does not feel relatively comfortable posted is not a serious pen. When I say serious, I mean as a tool. It is just uncomfortable that a pen you use regularly cannot be posted because it becomes too heavy or because simply the shape of the pen does not allow it to be posted.

I only wouldn't post some ridiculously large pens such as Pelikan m1000, Mb 149, Stipula Etruria, Visconti Homo Sapiens, etc. I regard them more as signature, "dressing" pens, more than "working" pens.

Someone said that the propaganda of the fountain pen era until the 50s always showed the pens posted, as they were designed to, to be comfortable while writing. Back then all of them were intended as "working" pens. My 2 everyday workhorses, an Aurora 88 and Pelikan 400NN, are always posted, and they post so nicely that you realise they were designed to be posted.

My preference for looks and balance is 95% posted , quicker shorter notes I write un-posted.

Montblanc: 146 75th Anniversary, 147 Le Grande, Doue Solitaire

Parker: Gold Duofold Centennial, Sonnet Fougere

Visconti Bronze Homo-Sapien

Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue

Hi all,

I'm surprised I missed this one the first time around... at any rate... I'm another one who cannot vote because it depends on the pen.

I have long fingers, so short pens like a Duofold Junior or Lamy Logo HAVE to be posted, or I cannot comfortably write with them... if at all.

Some pens, like the Logo, Studio, TWSBI Classic, etc., are actually designed to be posted. Some pens, like the Studio are designed so the cap clicks into place and leaves a slight gap, so the barrel cannot be scratched.

Other pens, it is impossible... but that's why I have to be careful when buying short pens... :o ...they have to be postable... and life is restricting enough without having to banish all pens just because their short.

One of my all-time favorites is the FC Loom... if I couldn't/wouldn't post it... I'd be depriving myself of one of the best writers I know. :)

Be well all... and enjoy life... not your pens... if you know what I mean. ;)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Always Unposted. Cap goes in Front Left Pocket...Unless I'm using clip/cap as page marker in chart so I can flip simply back to the last exam to look for changes. I slide Clip over the Page that separate Todays entry and Last entry. Cap holds this section of papers up for a quick flip. FP/RB/Gel Ink all the same.

Interesting how things change over time. I was, in my early fp years, a passionate poster; I looked askance at those who decried posting. I felt I needed to post most all of my pens to achieve the proper balance and keep track of the cap. I still post some pens, such as my Parker "51's"; they seem built for it. But most others I no longer post. Obviously, it is me that has changed rather than the pens. True, I do favor larger pens these days but still, I would rather not post. Needless to say, I no longer look askance at those who post or not, having been a proponent of both.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

• 2 years later...

I prefer the ease of posted. But the weight balance is usually off. Plus, my hand is just the right size to have most of the pens place the edge of the posted cap right at the back/side of my hand, right where every move rubs or pushes the cap up (then it falls back down). Annoying feel.

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

Definitely unposted except for the Pelikan M101 1935 jade since it is shorter than my forefinger👉🏻

I do not recall whether I already voted the poll so will leave it undefined

but I do not practically ever post

the only times I do is when the pen is really unbearably small, so for example I do post a Kaweco Liliput, or an Omas Dama...

Interesting how things change over time. I was, in my early fp years, a passionate poster; I looked askance at those who decried posting. I felt I needed to post most all of my pens to achieve the proper balance and keep track of the cap. I still post some pens, such as my Parker "51's"; they seem built for it. But most others I no longer post. Obviously, it is me that has changed rather than the pens. True, I do favor larger pens these days but still, I would rather not post. Needless to say, I no longer look askance at those who post or not, having been a proponent of both.

I think pens have changed also, there are more pens now than before that do not need to be posted

Depends on the size of the pen. I don't like "medium" size pens; either small enough that when posted it is a good size for my hand (e.g. Platinum 3776) or big enough I don't need to post.

Agreed

It can go either way - Pelikan M1000, I'm not going to post. However, my m400, I am!

My boundary is the M800. I have had one for almost a year now, and I can never decide whether to post it. My tendency is to not post as the metal piston mechanicals already weight the pen toward the back, and the barrel is nominally long enough anyway. M300 really needs to be posted to be usable in any practical way unless one has tiny hands. I find the M400 and M600 balance superbly posted.

I tried the M1000 posted and found it to be like writing with a giant stick. Definitely too big for me to post.