Do you write Posted or Unposted?

Jared

Do you write posted or unposted?  

458 members have voted

1. 1. Do you write posted or unposted?

• I prefer to write with the cap Posted
    • I prefer to write with the cap Unposted

For almost every single pen I use, its used unposted except for the Parker Cisele 75 Sterling Silver and the Sheaffer Imperial IV.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• praxim

• Manalto

• Astronymus

I generally don't believe in posting pens due to the threads causing damage to the barrel.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Standard sized pens, 200/400 or Esterbrooks along with medium large pens Pelikan 400NN/600 or P-51 I post.

Some times I post Large pens like the Lamy Safari or the heavier Lamy Persona..I only have two heavy metal pens...both Large...the Persona and a Cross Townsend.

Light metal pens that are posted are the standard sized P-75 and the even lighter Lamy CM-i with it's post step.

I think that most who grew up with silver dimes and standard pens post.

Those who grew up when they could buy nothing for a dime as was, and think Large or Large heavy pens are standard do not post.

If one waxes one's pens one gets no mar's from posting.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I rarely post. Even with my Esterbrook J and Pelikan M2xx and 120 I don't post. I used to post my Al Star, but haven't in some time.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I much prefer to post. I won't, though, if it unbalances the pen, or leads to ink spilling (posted my TWSBI 580 once--never again. As I took off the cap I accidentally turned the piston and spilled ink everywhere.)

I have a concern that I'll scratch up the end of the pen if I post on a barrel that doesn't have threads on it for that purpose...

"Ravens play with lost time."

I'd say that the topic has come up before, but perhaps this thread from 2007 was the first. B)

I prefer to post the cap as it just seems the most natural and elegant solution to what to do with it while writing. If a particular pen can't be posted, or feels off balance that way, I prefer not to use it at all. I don't jam the cap on ridiculously hard, and have not scratched any pen by posting, but the risk doesn't bother me. I do have one vintage pen with a groove going all the way around the end of the barrel which was almost certainly caused by a previous owner jamming the cap on the back with too much force, but I take this as a warning to be gentle, not a warning to refrain from posting at all.

Except, and it's a major exception, that my favorite modern pens are now Namiki Vanishing Points. And with those, the question doesn't even come up.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

When I don't post the cap I end up losing it somewhere on my desk. It also balances out most of my pens pretty nicely, so I always post.

Depends on the pen. Try writing for more than a few squiggles with a Kaweco Sport unposted (unless you're a pixy, maybe).

Try writing with a Twsbi Vac700 posted.

For pens less extreme than the two above, I'll generally use them unposted, though it's less of a hassle if I have a shirt pocket in which to stash the cap.

most times unposted, however some pens balance greatly improves when posted, lamy 2000 visconti rembrandt and lamy 27 are pens i always use posted.

I agree with many of the points made about writing posted (it certainly looks better), and while I originally didn't put much thought into it, I find that I almost never post the cap. I've notied, possibly because of my smallish hands, that it doesn't take much to throw a pen off balance for me. I prefer a slightly heavy nib rather than weight at the back.

Edited by BatMirk

I post every pen except the largest Pelikan M1000-sized pens. Why: balance.

Pelikan pens don't get scratched by posting because of the design of the cap. The threads don't touch the barrel.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

Unposted. I can quite happily write with a Kaweco Sport unposted, the difference between the diameter of the cap and barrel bugs me too much. I don't have small hands either.

I hate to dash at the rolling away cap or searching it on the floor, between the papers on the desk, therefore cap is always posted.