Do you write Posted or Unposted?

Jared

Do you write posted or unposted?  

458 members have voted

1. 1. Do you write posted or unposted?

• I prefer to write with the cap Posted
    • I prefer to write with the cap Unposted

Either I've voted in this poll before or I'm having a deja vu experience!

I do not post. It tends to unbalance the fountain pen for me. And I really dislike the cap or the clip poking the webbing between my thumb and index finger while I write, so that' another good reason not to post.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• praxim

• Manalto

• N1003U

For what it's worth, the new Montblanc Boheme has come up with a solution for those who post but worry about scratching: they have put a little threaded part at the bottom of the barrel, so the cap screws on firmly. I don't have one but my lust continues.

I think most pens look better posted and I prefer to do it. But if posting for a particular pen doesn't work well (scratch prone barrel, improper fit, unbalanced feel), I definitely leave the cap off and place in my shirt pocket when possible.

EDIT: Yes, I *thought* this had already been polled quite recently. I'm glad I'm not imagininininininining things. It's one thing to repeat a poll that happened many months ago... but in just a few weeks? Yet, some people who didn't post before may stand up to be counted. It is an interesting topic given the 50:50 split.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Totally depends on the pen. My Filcao Nobile and M800 feel ridiculous posted while my M405 and Parker 51 just don't feel write unless they are. I think that is why I like both the larger and smaller pens. The larger make great desk pens, or pens for when I'm carrying a pen case. The smaller pens like the 51 and M405 work great as a carry pen since I can just post the cap in any situation and not have to worry about it. That is part of the reason I love those two pens so much and use the heck out of them both (I also don't really worry to much about scratches on either as they are both "users") Just my limited experience with the pens I have.

Apart from my Japanese pocketpens and my Serenite Cocobolo, I write with all my other pens unposted.

raf.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

It very much depends on the pen as to whether it's better to post or not.

I generally dislike posting fountain pens and do so only if the pen barrel is uncomfortably short.

QUOTE (The Legend @ Mar 8 2007, 04:06 AM)
I always thought that the FPs were designed for writing with the cap posted.

In that way the balance of it while writing is best.

I use 95% of my FPs posted.
Some are so big (and heavy) that the balance issue could not be relevant anymore and I write with them unposted.

The Legend

NO. Not true at all. Only short pens (e.g. Parker Sonnet, Pelikan M400) are designed to be posted. All others are not.

I prefer unposted. The pen looks too long posted and I like the look without the cap too. I'm also afraid it will scratch the pen.

I think fountain pens were meant to be posted. Almost all ilustrations showing pens in the golden years of FP - until the 50's - show them posted. But, of course, pens were usually smaller and lighter those days.

I post almost all my pens. I know some of them get scratched, but so what... One pen I never post, because of unbalance, is the Rotring 600; others that can´t be posted because of (faulty?) design are the Caran d' Ache Dunas.

I much prefer unposted. I like my pens to look and feel sleek in the hand with the ballance just slightly forward of center. I think the feel of the pen in your hand makes up almost half the experience.

smile.gif

• 7 months later...

Unposted.

My oldest (then 15) wanted to try out my Parker 75 Premier. She took the cap off, posted it, and then rammed the cap securly onto the pen. I thought my knees were going to buckle. "What?", she asks as she hands me back my pen!!!

Mike

As others have noted, it depends on the pen. That said, my pens are posted most of the time, and I am rather exacting of the alignment between the clip and the nib!

• 6 years later...

I always write with the cap unposted, usually holding it in my other hand or putting it on the desk. I feel that when it is posted, fountain pen becomes odd-balanced (especially fountain pens with heavy caps). Also, as far as I know most Europeans tend to leave the cap unposted while Americans tend to post the cap.

Indivisibiliter ac Inseparabiliter

Depends on the pen. Some pens i refuse to write posted with due to weight, and other i dont write posted with due to me not wanting to marr up the barrel of the pen.

Then on the other hand, I own pens too small to hold unless they are posted.

Mostly I prefer unposted. But there are a few pens (like my Noodler's Nib Creaper and my Pelikan m205 demonstrator) which are more comfortable posted, probably because of their small size.

Also, sometimes posting gets the ink that got into the cap onto the pen. This, in turn, gets my hand messy.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Posted

The only time I would write unposted are

1- if the cap is so heavy that it makes a posted pen tail heavy, or

2- if the cap cannot be secured on the end of the pen.

The other time, but it applies to someone else, would be lending a pen to someone.

I will hold on to the cap, so that I get the pen back...or the guy will get an inky pocket.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

unposted,posting is making marks on the pen body. But i post pens that are DONE to be posted as montegrappa for exemple where there is threads at the end of the body to screw the cap on it

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.