The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Mb Grey Ink - Permanent Or Oyster Grey?

montblanc ink grey permanent oyster

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DBQMary

DBQMary

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:38

I am looking for recommendations on purchasing a grey ink.   If anyone has both MB Permanent Grey and Oyster Grey, I would like to hear your preference and why.   If anyone has any writing comparisons that would be a bonus.

Also anxious to hear about any other greys that I should consider.

Thanks to all.

Sponsored Content

#2 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:21

Noodlers Lexington Grey (bulletproof). Dark with nice shading. At this point, the only grey or gray I will ever own!

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#3 franjov

franjov

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 23:00

I have used the MB Oyster Grey and the Sailor Jentle Ink Gray.

I prefer the MB, a little bit more dark, but the Sailor is to washed for my taste.

#4 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 23:54

Oyster is a favorite of mine.   It can pass as a light black, so can be used at work.    It does best in a pen with decent flow.  Haven't tried the permanent.   

#5 franjov

franjov

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:57

Oyster is a favorite of mine.   It can pass as a light black, so can be used at work.    It does best in a pen with decent flow.  Haven't tried the permanent.

I use it with a Copernico, fine nib, in the office for "serious" documents, but the ink flows really well

#6 mrchan

mrchan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:47

My current favourite gray is by Sailor Kobe, called Stone Gray.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

#7 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:01

I love oyster grey: it's subtle and serious.

#8 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:33

I've yet to find a grey I really love. My favorite at the moment would be Iro. Fuyu-syogun, but it's not exactly neutral; it has a subtle—but beautiful—blue tinge. Try as I might, I could never get myself to like Lexington Gray. Something was always off about it to me. J. Herbin Gris Nuage is nice. 

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#9 JohnMarra

JohnMarra

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:32

I picked up a bottle of the MB 90th Anniversary Permanent Grey this morning. I used it in a MB Classique Ceramic Prisma on Rhodia paper and found it to be the best grey that I have used. It's darker and richer than Oyster Grey. I really like it.

#10 DBQMary

DBQMary

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:32

I have several grey samples coming from Goulet Pens based on some of the earlier recommendations too.   But want to try the MB inks.  I heard a lot of good comments regarding Oyster grey so I was good to hear your comments on the Permanent Grey.   Do you know if it requires extra care or additional steps when cleaning after using the Permanent inks?

Thank you to all.  Your comments really help.

#11 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 00:18

I've yet to find a grey I really love. My favorite at the moment would be Iro. Fuyu-syogun, but it's not exactly neutral; it has a subtle—but beautiful—blue tinge. Try as I might, I could never get myself to like Lexington Gray. Something was always off about it to me. J. Herbin Gris Nuage is nice. 

Could you show a sample of the Iro Fuyu-syogun?

Re: Gris Nuage -  I found it much too light.   

#12 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,819 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:08

I have tried a few grays: Noodler's Lexington Gray, Iroshizuku Kiri-same and Fuyu-syogun, and (my favorite) Faber Castell Stone Grey. I have not tried the Mb grays.

They are all lovely inks and different shades, with the Noodler's being the darkest, but I prefer the FCSG, because it's dark enough to be taken seriously even though it reminds me (delightfully) of writing with a freshly-sharpened pencil (I use it in a Nakaya with an EF/F nib).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#13 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 00:30

I picked up a bottle of the MB 90th Anniversary Permanent Grey this morning. I used it in a MB Classique Ceramic Prisma on Rhodia paper and found it to be the best grey that I have used. It's darker and richer than Oyster Grey. I really like it.

Sounds promising John. I am disappointed with Oyster Grey as it looks great in some nib/paper combinations while pale & watery in others. Think I need to get me some MB Permanent Grey. Can you please post a picture?

#14 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:59

Could you show a sample of the Iro Fuyu-syogun?

Re: Gris Nuage -  I found it much too light.   

2ilu.jpg

Here's the same picture with the saturation bumped up so it's easier to see the differences. 

qvqv.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

#15 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 17:57

I have tried a few grays: Noodler's Lexington Gray, Iroshizuku Kiri-same and Fuyu-syogun, and (my favorite) Faber Castell Stone Grey. I have not tried the Mb grays.

They are all lovely inks and different shades, with the Noodler's being the darkest, but I prefer the FCSG, because it's dark enough to be taken seriously even though it reminds me (delightfully) of writing with a freshly-sharpened pencil (I use it in a Nakaya with an EF/F nib).

I will try it.

#16 DrRoger

DrRoger

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 18:41

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've found MB oyster grey very watery and disappointing - tried various nibs, paper etc but nowhere near Omas grey or Lexington. Maybe I got a rogue bottle but it's invariably light grey with some dark bits. R

#17 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 20:53

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've found MB oyster grey very watery and disappointing - tried various nibs, paper etc but nowhere near Omas grey or Lexington. Maybe I got a rogue bottle but it's invariably light grey with some dark bits. R

That sounds like oyster grey. I quite like it, though.

#18 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:18

2ilu.jpg

Here's the same picture with the saturation bumped up so it's easier to see the differences. 

qvqv.jpg

Thanks for doing that!   

#19 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2014 - 00:08

I don't have the other greys you mention but I agree with your observations of Oyster Grey.

#20 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2015 - 16:00

I just got Lexington Grey and it's by far my favorite of the grays I have (Stormy Grey, Organics Arsenic, Diamine Graphite, Fuyu-Syogun).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, ink, grey, permanent, oyster

Sponsored Content

|