Hello From California! (Vintage Waterman Question Also)

Soul3n

Did I get a good find from this eBay auction?

It's a Waterman's 100 Year Pen.

This is the description

>A waterman 100 year fountain pen in dark brown with fine semi-flexible nib which is in excellent condition. circa 1940's. Level fill, the spring lost tension but the level works. Good bladder. No monographs. No crack, no dent or dint. Biting marks on section. The pen inks and writes well. Pictures will give a detailed physical description. We only accept PayPal and ship to PayPal confirmed addresses. We do not ship to P.O. boxes. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING!!! Thank you for looking and have a pleasant day. We only accept PayPal and ship to PayPal confirmed addresses. We do not ship to P.O. boxes. NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING!!! Thank you for looking and have a pleasant day.

I got it for $58.99 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Waterman-100-Year-Lever-Fill-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Semi-flexible-Nib-/301143795938

I'm a college student and in having trouble justifying a 70 dollar pen purchase. Please help me decide!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soul3n

• PAKMAN

• Clancy

• Wahl

Hello !

I find it interesting that you are asking AFTER you have made the purchase. You will know more after the Sheaffer has been

checked by a repairer/restorer.

Good luck.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Greetings and welcome to FPN. Glad you've joined us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

The price is pretty good. on your Waterman 100, I thing the seller should have mentioned the crazing on the bottom of the pen, though they do show a picture of it. There are restorers that can replace that part.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello !

I find it interesting that you are asking AFTER you have made the purchase. You will know more after the Sheaffer has been

Good luck.

It was kind of a buyer's remorse kind of thing. Happens every auction for me :/

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

The price is pretty good. on your Waterman 100, I thing the seller should have mentioned the crazing on the bottom of the pen, though they do show a picture of it. There are restorers that can replace that part.

Thank you for your opinion! I was scared that I made the wrong decision

Hello and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. I'm glad you joined us. Please don't hesitate to share your questions and opinions. I hope you enjoy your time with us. After you have used your new fountain pen a while, you will know whether or not it was a good deal. I once picked up a pen (a Parker Vacumatic) in working order at a flea market for $15. Now that is a heck of a deal. But, while I have several other Vacumatics that I enjoy, that one just never seemed to be a good one for me. So, it wasn't such a good deal after all. On the other hand, I paid more than I should have for a pretty Wasp fountain pen and it has been such a good writer for me that I feel like I got a great deal on it. You'll just have to see how your pen is for you.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Do you intend to use it for note taking in school, or just special writing at home?

The reason I ask is vintage pens are not what I would take to school.

For school, I want something reliable and cheap/inexpensive, like the following:

• Pilot Metropolitan
  • Lamy Safari
  • Parker IM

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Welcome, nice of you to join us. If you don't mind I'll give you my view on your pen. Anything you will ever buy someone got it cheaper and nicer. You have to be good with it. I have 7 Pilot 78g's I bought for $8ea and one with a BB nib I paid $20 for. To me the BB is worth 250% more.

If you are unsure in the future ask the board, before you buy. After you buy just enjoy it.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Hi and welcome to FPN

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi, and belated welcome. I'd say that's not a bad price for a Hundred Year in that condition, although it almost certainly needs a sac. I understand that those pens are a bit fragile, though, so perhaps not the best candidate for every day carry.

Hello !

Good luck.

Which Sheaffer?

The pen could be more interesting than the blurry picture indicates.

Where in CA are you? I'm willing to help new pen people if I can.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.