The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker Duofold "big Red" Free Rotating Cap Band Repair

big red duofold cap band repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ninad

ninad

Mottled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 16:37

I recently became the owner of an excellent Big Red in great shape. While the pen has been restored, I am concerned that the free-rotating cap band will become a problem in the future. Is there some way to fix this? I am worried that any rushed attempt by me would result in unsightly stains on the cap, and would also not help the band do its job - of preventing the cap from developing cracks. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I included some pics for much needed eye candy. 

0nBPr0h.jpg

XnwCwUJ.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2014 - 16:54

The band needs to be swagged tight to the cap.

It isn't a difficult repair, and it's pretty inexpensive but it requires the correct sized collet that will squeeze in on ( all 360 deg at the same time) the cap band.

Resist ALL temptations to try and glue it in place.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 17:50

You make a sleeve with the correct ID to fit the band.  Turn the OD of the sleeve to fit in a collet just large enough that you can fit the cap, band, and sleeve into it and still have room to work.  You gently swage the band into place by tightening the collet.

All forms of adhesive are a bad idea as indicated by Brother Bruce.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 ninad

ninad

Mottled

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 18:22

Sounds like it's more than what I manage with my meager skills and "urban" toolkit. I suppose I should send it to someone who knows what they are doing and has the right tools. In the meantime I need to make sure it doesn't fall off.

Thanks for the responses, I am glad I didn't try to toothpick some glue in there...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big red, duofold, cap band repair

Sponsored Content

|