Ink Choice

BillZ

I recently came into possession of a 1990s 149 with 14K nib. I have it inked with Aurora Black but would

like to load it with Noodler's Bulletproof Black. Anyone have any problems with Noodler's ink in the piston fill arrangement?

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillZ

• isaacrn

• Chrissy

• Opooh

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be fine.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have used Noodlers in my 149 and 146 pens. I have not had any ill effect. Now would I use it in a 1950/60s, I may have some hesitation. But the newer pens have held up well to the ink.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Although I have no proof at all that anything would go wrong, I just haven't dared using bulletproof inks in my piston filler pens. I guess this is mostly due to the fear that the last bit of ink might dry up and cause problems. Perhaps you know how, sometimes, a pen is not used for a while and you just didn't get around to cleaning it properly. In that case, I'd prefer a converter pen because it's easier to take apart and let it all soak in a bit of soapy water for as long as needed. Montblanc piston fillers aren't very easy to take apart and clean [for clumsy folks without tools, like me].

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I think I shall refrain from putting the BPB in my 149. Is Aurora Black OK?

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I think I shall refrain from putting the BPB in my 149. Is Aurora Black OK?

I have used that ink in a Pilot Metal Falcon, and occasionally left it for ~14 days without use, then picked it up again and it wrote just fine. (Or soft extra-fine, in my case.) I wouldn't hesitate using that ink in a piston filler MB.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I've used the major brands: MB, Pel, Waterman, Aurora, Parker and have no problems except for Parker Quink black which I later discovered has a reputation for flow issues. I haven't used Noodler's or Private Reserve. While the majority of their inks are probably OK, there are periodic reports of users have problems such as clogging, staining, microbial growth, etc, so that makes me skeptical. Ink isn't my focus, and I don't have to have a vast selection. The major brands provide more than I could possibly want, and I don't have to worry about them.

Although I have no proof at all that anything would go wrong, I just haven't dared using bulletproof inks in my piston filler pens. I guess this is mostly due to the fear that the last bit of ink might dry up and cause problems. Perhaps you know how, sometimes, a pen is not used for a while and you just didn't get around to cleaning it properly. In that case, I'd prefer a converter pen because it's easier to take apart and let it all soak in a bit of soapy water for as long as needed. Montblanc piston fillers aren't very easy to take apart and clean [for clumsy folks without tools, like me].

I agree on this point as well. I play it safe and use inks that could possibly clog the pen. I would just rather avoid having to have it sent off for service. That is just me being conservative.

In case you didn't read it already: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm

Thank you for posting this link; I found it very interesting. I have very limited experience with fountain pen inks, having only bottles from Waterman and Montblanc (these were the ubiquitous choices at the stores I went to back then, or maybe I was oblivious to any other brands available). I've had these bottles for over a decade or two. I had no idea mold could develop inside a bottle. I don't think I have mold in mine, but do you think I should toss out my bottles and pick up some fresher bottles? Just to be safe?

Back to Richard's ink article you linked to ... I was surprised to see him warn against using Noodler's inks especially after I've read so many old forum posts here and have seen so many people mention using them; I was amazed at how many beautiful colors are available and even started making a wish list.

(Edited to correct typos from when I posted this from iPhone earlier.)

Edited by FayeV

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I have used various Noodlers inks in vintage Parker pens (Lucky Curve models with rubber ink sacks and also in Vacuumatics) and I have paid heavily for the experiment. In my statistically insignificant sample, the ink bladders in my Lucky Curves disintegrated into a gummy mess and the ink feeds clogged. My Mandarin flat-top required major repairs. I have used Pilot Iroshizuku ink in vintage pens without any issues whatsoever. As for Noodlers in modern pens, I've not had any problems...but I stopped using them just to be safe.