#6 Nibs: What Will They Fit?

Houston

Hello, fellow FPNers:

I've been curious to try the Goulet's stub nibs. I've not been keen, however, to put them in Noodler's pens. (Just too many stories of incessant fiddling required to make Noodler's pens write reliably.)

Upon asking the good folks at Goulet about what other pens their nibs fit, they offered the following:

• The nibs are #6 size
  • They'll fit a number of different Edisons
  • They'll also fit several Monteverdes: Impressa, Prima, Regatta, Jewelria,
  • They'll also fit some Jinhao models.

Not being completely turned on by any of those options, can the good folks of FPN suggest other pens on which a #6 nib would be easy to fit?

Many thanks, in advance!

--h

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• pompa

• tomgartin

• Houston

Top Posters In This Topic

They fit my:

- Jinhao X750

- Jinhao X450

- Jinhao 159

- Monteverde Invincia Deluxe (and most monteverde pens since the nibs on those are also #6)

- Nemosine Singularity and Nemosine Fission

For example here's a black monteverde fine on my Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (a Goulet exclusive). Currently holds a 2-tone Goulet Extra fine (moved the black one to my Jinhao X750 "Shimmering Sands").

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nighthawk/posted.jpg

Goulet 2-tone Medium on my 159

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_full.jpg

And my Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator currently holds the Goulet 2-tone 1.5mm Stub Nib.

I'm not 100% sure but I think one of the noodler's might take #6 too (you mentioned it, but not sure if its #6 exactly)?

edit: yea it does. " Fits all Noodler's Ahab and Konrad pens"

The ones I listed are friction fit, so just a matter of lining up the feed/nib in the correct orientation, and sliding them in with the proper seating. Goulet has a couple videos showing how.

PS: I suspect you're probably not going to be a fan of most the pens with a standard #6 size. (not sure which Vintage ones do... I Think some of the waterman vintage ones do).

Edited by KBeezie

I've had no problem with using Goulet's 1.5 stub nib on either Noodler's Ahab or Konrad.

I only own two Noodler's pens but I haven't had any problems at all with mine. As recommended I disassembled them and gave them a good cleaning with water and dish washing detergent to get rid of lingering oils from manufacture, re-assembled, inked up and started writing. I just love the concept of the Konrads so I got a pair of the ebonite version. I actually haven't used them in a little while and they were sitting uninked on my desk, so just now I filled one of them with Noodler's black and it still writes nicely, the nib and feed sits just as I set them after I cleaned it, I haven't adjusted it after the filling - no need.

Noodler's pens have ebonite feeds just so that you will be able to heat set them to any other nib that you might want to install in them, that's the point.

I have three Noodler's pens (Nib Creaper, Ahab, and Konrad each) and all of them had no real problems; started writing pretty much out of the box and with all sorts of nibs that I have available. Only issues I had were skipping when using the flex nib, since they require a fast flow of ink when flexed. The feeds are easy to heat-set if needed and also you can widen the channel if you need more flow. When using normal/stub nibs, I don't suspect there will be an issue with ink flow.

Noodler's pens have ebonite feeds just so that you will be able to heat set them to any other nib that you might want to install in them, that's the point.

That I did not know, but are they all ebonite feed? I thought only the Konrad Ebonite had that.

That I did not know, but are they all ebonite feed? I thought only the Konrad Ebonite had that.

All Noodler's pens have ebonite feeds. Here is a video of Nathan heat setting the feed of a Nib Creaper.

Hi, all:

Grateful for the replies and the interesting info on Noodler's pens. That said, the original question was about *other* pens that the Goulet's #6 nibs will fit.

We know they'll fit:

• Noodler's pens
  • Several different Edisons
  • Several Monteverdes
  • Some Jinhao models.

​What else will take a #6 without surgery?

Thanks, again and in advance!

--h

I also have a Nemosine Singularity housing a Goulet nib. The Singularity is a sub $20 pen and is beautiful, but the nib I got on mine was a total dud. With the Goulet nib it has become one of my favorite pens, and my standard for testing new inks. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Sorry, I get frustrated myself when people replies to my own questions with things other than an answer to the specific question hehe.

So to your question...I think the TWSBI VAC-700 has a #6 nib, and I have been thinking about getting that one myself with the intention of swapping the nib.

As stated above, the Vac (there's a video of Brian Goulet swapping the nib, it's clearly friction fit). Going off that, one would assume the TWSBI 580 will also take it - I know the Mini doesn't because the nib isn't easy to pull off (Brian said he couldn't get it off).

I believe Bexley pens also take a #6 nib though I might be wrong

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

I would caution that there is ( never has been) any agreed to standard for numbered nib sizes. One company's "#6" can be a totally different size from another company's "#6."

In Vintage pen days the lessor manufacturers loved to mark smaller nibs as # 8 when they were about 1/2 the size of a Waterman #8 .

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Hi,

My Wality 71 J has a Goulet 1.5 stub nib on it and writes with a great wet line without any surgery. The feed delivers marvelously and the eyedropper provides enough ink to last a long time.

Ciao

Was mer hat das hat mer, hat mers net dann fehlts einm!

As stated above, the Vac (there's a video of Brian Goulet swapping the nib, it's clearly friction fit). Going off that, one would assume the TWSBI 580 will also take it - I know the Mini doesn't because the nib isn't easy to pull off (Brian said he couldn't get it off).

I believe Bexley pens also take a #6 nib though I might be wrong

No, 580 use the smaller #5 nib.

Noodler's Nib Creaper takes vintage #2 (which happens to also be modern #5), the Ahab and Konrad take #6 nibs.

I always keep a Nib Creaper handy for my loose vintage nibs.

Edited by discopig

We're talking about Jowo #6 nibs. Framebaer's cautions are important. Franklin-Christoph uses Jowo nibs including the #6 on several models but they offer a large range of tip sizes for their pens. The info that a Wality 71 pen can take a Jowo #6 is wonderful.

If you are talking about just screwing it in to a pen, not fiddling with the nib-set's feed or housing,... then it will fit some Franklin-Christoph models.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I have a Goulet broad in my Noodler's Konrad. My Konrad always wrote pretty well, and the Goulet made it better.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain