The Jinhao 599 – A Stylish Chinese Pen With Strangely Familiar Germanic Leanings…

Jamerelbe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• alc3261

• titrisol

• PortiaDaCosta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings from China,

it is really a little bit weird for me to find some discussions about Jinhao here. I'm not saying that Jinhao is not good, because I never heard it before! And many Chinese hobbyist like use foreign fountain pens, say, Parker, Lamy, Sheaffer, Waterman, Pelikan, and sometime Montblanc, etc., but in term of Chinese manufacturers, Hero is the favorite local brand for most of Chinese user (although Hero's products are seen with a decreasing quality for recent years).

I have suddenly an insane idea.

Does anyone knows if Pilot Varsity nib be fitted on to the Jinhao 599?

The size looks much more similar to the Varsity than Preppy and Lamy.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

I have suddenly an insane idea.

Does anyone knows if Pilot Varsity nib be fitted on to the Jinhao 599?

The size looks much more similar to the Varsity than Preppy and Lamy.

Sorry for the very late reply - the short answer is, no: although the two nibs look very similar from on top, the Jinhao extends somewhat further down the sides of the feed before clipping on. In any case, I find the Jinhao nib if anything is the smoother of the two - so there's not much to be gained in doing the swap!

Greetings from China,

it is really a little bit weird for me to find some discussions about Jinhao here. I'm not saying that Jinhao is not good, because I never heard it before! And many Chinese hobbyist like use foreign fountain pens, say, Parker, Lamy, Sheaffer, Waterman, Pelikan, and sometime Montblanc, etc., but in term of Chinese manufacturers, Hero is the favorite local brand for most of Chinese user (although Hero's products are seen with a decreasing quality for recent years).

Hi diazo, thanks for your comment! I don't know if it has always been the case, but I believe that Hero and Jinhao pens are now made by the same company. I have a small but growing collection of (mostly cheaper) Chinese pens - Jinhao, Baoer and Hero. Cheaper on the whole than Parker, Lamy etc - and much more variable in quality - but I've been pleasantly surprised at how nicely they write!

nice review, Jam!

i've been away for a while and had not seen these pens... just today i saw that isellpens (no affiliation) has them for $6.50!!!!!!!!! what?????

I've been wondering - there is the metal version of this pen, and the plastic version, which I have recently seen in more colors than just the transparent.

There are a few differences between the two. The plastic pens, as far as i can see from the pictures, have a curved nib, rather than a flat one, for example. They have the ink window (I could care less about looking at an ink window but it must be a plus for someone out there and a minus for someone else) There may be other differences between them.

I am wondering if Jinaho is going to continue making the metal version with the flat nib now that they have come out with the plastic ones, and also if the plastic ones have nibs that can be replaced by something else.

I like very fine nibs and italic nibs - medium, not so much. Having more nibs is a definite plus.

I am also wondering - I have seen varying comments on whether the Hero Summer takes a regular cart/converter or something special - does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

I've been wondering - there is the metal version of this pen, and the plastic version, which I have recently seen in more colors than just the transparent.

There are a few differences between the two. The plastic pens, as far as i can see from the pictures, have a curved nib, rather than a flat one, for example. They have the ink window (I could care less about looking at an ink window but it must be a plus for someone out there and a minus for someone else) There may be other differences between them.

I am wondering if Jinaho is going to continue making the metal version with the flat nib now that they have come out with the plastic ones, and also if the plastic ones have nibs that can be replaced by something else.

I like very fine nibs and italic nibs - medium, not so much. Having more nibs is a definite plus.

I am also wondering - I have seen varying comments on whether the Hero Summer takes a regular cart/converter or something special - does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

The FPR flex nib fits on the demonstrator orange one that I have.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

I've only seen the metallic black gloss version - and I certainly hope they continue to produce it, because it's a great looking pen that really writes well, with a fairly fine line that suits my writing style.

Re the Hero Summer Colors (their Safari rip-off), I haven't tried on personally, but according to the fairly comprehensive you'll find on the Pentorium blog (http://www.pentorium.com/2014/02/17/hero-summer-color-the-copycat-review/), the pen takes a proprietary Hero cartridge. I have a Hero kids' pen that uses they same cartridges: they have the same opening as a standard Parker cartridge, but are significantly shorter.

Thanks for that - a couple of other posters have pointed out these colourful plastic versions of the pen. Interesting that though these pens in many ways resemble the Safari more closely than the black metal 599, the nibs are quite different - rounded, rather than flat-topped. I wonder why that is?

Just noticed, too, that Asapens are selling the black metal pen under a different name - as the Jinhao T1 (http://asapens.in/eshop/jinhao-t1-fountaian-pen-made-in-china)

Edited by Jamerelbe

On EBay I see 599, 599A and 599C models, metal, plastic and transparent respectively. 599 and 599A is different in nib and ink window as stated here before. I use Lamy cartridges or standard European types with my Jinhao x450 pens. I wonder if these are as versatile as my x450 in cartridge selection. I like Lamy carts as they seem to hold slightly more ink than others.

The Safaris don't perform as well as they used to. Good for the Chinese to knock it off now before it goes down even further or no one would want a Lamy knockoff.

Thanks for that - a couple of other posters have pointed out these colourful plastic versions of the pen. Interesting that though these pens in many ways resemble the Safari more closely than the black metal 599, the nibs are quite different - rounded, rather than flat-topped. I wonder why that is?

Just noticed, too, that Asapens are selling the black metal pen under a different name - as the Jinhao T1 (http://asapens.in/eshop/jinhao-t1-fountaian-pen-made-in-china)

Probably to save cost by using existing parts from pens. The nib and feed of the plastic one are the same as other Jinhao models that take a smaller (#5) nib.

On EBay I see 599, 599A and 599C models, metal, plastic and transparent respectively. 599 and 599A is different in nib and ink window as stated here before. I use Lamy cartridges or standard European types with my Jinhao x450 pens. I wonder if these are as versatile as my x450 in cartridge selection. I like Lamy carts as they seem to hold slightly more ink than others.

They take international cartridges. If you are using the short type, you can fit a spare one in the barrel too.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

The Lamy cartridges are definitely designed to fit over a larger 'nipple' on the back of the feed, and therefore have a wider 'mouth' to accommodate it. I'm surprised they work on the x450, and wouldn't try them on the 599. You can get longer international cartridges, though - and shouldn't have trouble fitting them into the barrel of the pen...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice pen!

What's the different between Jinhao 599 & T1 ?

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

I think the T1 is another name for the black glossy aluminium version of the 599 - the version I've reviewed here. There are also plastic versions of the 599 that have a different nib and feed, which makes things a little bit confusing...

• 5 months later...

I think the T1 is another name for the black glossy aluminium version of the 599 - the version I've reviewed here. There are also plastic versions of the 599 that have a different nib and feed, which makes things a little bit confusing...

The nib and feed are different on the metal version of the 599. The nib on the 599 metal writes more like a fine, and reminds me of the Lamy nib. The nib on the metal version is a bit dry. I actually prefer the nib on the solid plastic & demonstrator models--wetter nib. The solid plastic & demonstrator versions have the same nib & feed. The solid plastic & demonstrators have ink windows. The metal version does not. With just a bit of smoothingn of the nib with 8000 & 12000 micromesh, I have found these pens to be a real surprise for their price.

Snapshot: From left to right - Champagne & green - metal version (no ink window); orange & red demonstrator; black & black demonstrator.

Snapshot_20141107_11.JPG

I now have a collection of the plastic pens too, and I agree: the plastic pens run wetter, and lay down a wider line. I do in some ways prefer the metal version nib, though his like my daily use pens to be that little bit finer. I haven't had to smooth any of my nibs - but one or two of them could probably do with a go on the micromesh.

It's worth noting these pens also come in a rollerball format (if that's your thing) - and there's a hooded nib option, which isn't the prettiest (too much black moulded plastic around the nib for me), but lays a beautifully smooth, fine line of ink.