The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Refilling Pilot Varsity Mb Fineliner Or Fav Rollerball With Your Favorite Fountain Pen Ink

varsity disposable pen disposable fineliner refill rollerball

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:10

I just send a new to FPN pen user some black ink samples and a pilot varsity in black.  I told him how to do the refill, and drew this little instruction set. These instructions work great for your Montblanc fineliner (I've done it), or rollerball (done it too).  I can't take credit for the bright idea, to quote Microsoft, I "embraced and enhanced" this little time saver.

2014-Ink_270b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sponsored Content

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

user

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:42

Hang on! You are saying I can do this with my $8.00 a pop MB roller ball refills?! I searched and found some refills that fit with a kludge, but this is stellar! Especially with the "manual".  I know the hack for removing the end of the Varsity and just reloading it, but this is pretty elegant. Thanks for sharing. Would you post this on Pentrace? Or do you mind if I link to it? Some foks there would love to see it.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

#3 macball

macball

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 23:55

The MB rollerball refills are even easier to fill. There is a plastic cap on the top that pops off with a pair of pliers. Use a syringe or dropper to fill up with fountain pen ink of your choice. The capacity of the rollerball is not great so don't overfill or it will leak out of the nib... just saturate the sponge. The top then snaps back on. 

The MB highlighter is also refillable, but through the breather slits in the bottom because there is no plastic cap.

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 00:00

Hang on! You are saying I can do this with my $8.00 a pop MB roller ball refills?! I searched and found some refills that fit with a kludge, but this is stellar! Especially with the "manual".  I know the hack for removing the end of the Varsity and just reloading it, but this is pretty elegant. Thanks for sharing. Would you post this on Pentrace? Or do you mind if I link to it? Some foks there would love to see it.

One of my other posts has a link to a YouTube video.  As for the Not FPN site...well, I'm really partial to FPN (I even volunteer as a moderator) so I'd rather you didn't post my stuff there, but you may link to this location and encourage membership.  :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#5 Bemo

Bemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:48

That's just too cool.

#6 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:02

Here I thought the "pull really hard with pliers" method was easy.  That's really cool!

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:21

It's funny, I've had mixed results using this trick on highlighters.  I wonder if the ink is just that different.

#8 paisleye

paisleye

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 21:39

Great tip! Thanks!
Sorry to revive the thread, but found this while searching for the possibilities of using FP inks in a MB Fineliner.
WTB: Sailor Sapporo purple lame (F or smaller nib)

WTB: Omas 360 Rollerballs

Please PM me if you have one you'd like to sell. Thank you! :)

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 22:27

Thank you!  It works quite well with the fineliners and rollerballs.  Not so hot with the highlighters as I mentioned. Also, I think I would limit this experiment to pH neutral inks and inks that are generally safe for mixing.  So no Iroshizuku, VMail or Baystate inks. I have had great luck with Diamine inks and the regular Noodler's line.  The highlighters have had JHerbin inks which may be a problem of the highlighters.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: varsity, disposable pen, disposable, fineliner, refill, rollerball

Sponsored Content

|