The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Diamine Inks And Staining?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Reygan

Reygan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:24

I find Ochre hard to clean and prone to staining. Don't leave it in a pen to long and clean it promptly. Great color and worth the extra attention.

How long is too long to leave ink in a pen? Just want to know the amount of time it takes fr some inks to stain the inside of a pen.

Sponsored Content

#22 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2014 - 15:37

How does the staining process (for pens) work by the way? I imagine it doesn't simply occur immediately on contact and that there are other factors at play.

The way I think about it, there are a few different sorts of "stains".  One is just ink getting caught up in the lubricant of a piston or plunger filler, which is not really a stain as such, but it appears that the ink cannot be washed out completely.  Another sort of "stain" is a dry residue that resists rinsing but can be wiped out, which happens a lot with the cellulose-reactive inks, but I see it mostly on the nib.  The third is the permanent one:  molecules migrate into the plastic itself, which takes some time.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#23 SnorriRafn

SnorriRafn

Fountain Pen Viking

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 00:24

I've used all three with no staining in my TWSBIs.  The only stains I have ever struggled with have been from Diamine Grape.  Purples have been bigger problems for me than reds ever dreamed of being.  I used reds between problem purples to help clean.  I don't think you'll have any troubles.

Diamine Grape stained the sac of my Hero 612 although the plastic part of it didn't show any staining. I have used the ink in a Lamy converter and my TWSBI 580 with no troubles.

#24 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,706 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 15:24

Diamine Grape stained the sac of my Hero 612 although the plastic part of it didn't show any staining. I have used the ink in a Lamy converter and my TWSBI 580 with no troubles.

Hmm...in fairness, Grape didn't stain my TWSBI, just my Noodler's Ahab. (Different materials)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#25 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 15:34

I use ASA blue routinely. Nice color, well behaved. No problems. In general, Diamine makes reliable inks. 

The others? I don't know...I'm basically a blues-man, having shifted from black to blue-black and all-the way blue. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Sponsored Content

|