Qc Issue With M1000 Nib And Dissatisfaction With Initial Response By Pelikan

Pen2009

As my M1000's nib was with some manufacturing imperfection or defects, I returned it to the retailer for the warranty repair, with the specific request for the replacement of the nib. The repair took more than 3 weeks and what I received was a nib adjustment as the repair. I am very disappointed with this outcome and decided to escalate this again with the retailer and Pelikan itself. If the pen is cheap, then, I will let it go. But, for the price range of the M1000 class fountain pens, I could not accept the repair less than the nib replacement.

The nib failed on the following points.

The slit is not in the middle of the nib. As you can see, the slit was somewhat slanted. Look at the triangle imprint on the nib in the picture. Also, the slit in the tipping material is not in the middle.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4712_zpsd4039a71.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4715_zpsfe9db28f.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4714_zps4473ad1a.jpg

The tipping material is attached to the nib in a crooked way.

It is difficult to see in the pix below. But, if you look real hard, you can see, the tipping material is attached in less than the perfect manner.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4716_zpsdaed9650.jpg

There is some space between the nib and the feed. I can see the empty space from the breezer hole. The nib should rest on the feed perfectly without space.

I am awaiting the reply from Pelikan. I hope they will do the right thing by replacing this defective nib with the new one. If they don't, this Pelikan will be my last purchase from this brand.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen2009

• Flounder

• Paul80

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question: Does the nib write properly?

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Hi

I know we expect perfection and at this price it is understandable but if that nib is within their production tolerances then you may not get what you want out of this and that I know will bug you until you sell the pen or get hold of a nib yourself and change it yourself. It is an easy job on the M1000 as they just screw in and out.

Not what you want to hear I know but Pelikan are getting themselves quite a poor reputation for the delivered state of their nibs.

How does it write is what Pelikan will be looking at, if it writes fine they will send it back untouched. Don't know the relevant consumer law in America but you could try getting the dealer to refund you for it if you are allowed to reject it under your States laws.

Just remember an off centre tine slit is quite common and can have no ill effect on the pens ability to be a pen.

If it writes as it should I would suggest putting your loupe away and just enjoy your pen, you will grow to hate it otherwise.

Paul

Edited by Paul80

I was thinking the same thing: How does it write? Minor details like that may not have any influence on the writing at all. I have seen far worse looking nibs that wrote very, very well.

Edited by Ursus

Even if it writes well the owner has the right to ask for a nib replacement. 1 dollar pen also writes well but don't we pay top dollars for the aestethical aspects of high end pens? It's not a minor detail if you pay $600 for a pen. Would you accept scratches or dents on a brand new car thinking that it still drives well? My answer is, no!

The wonderful woman (I am chagrined that I don't remember her name) who handles Pel customer service for Chartpak in the USA handled my issues with no worries.

I think Pel is very generous in customer service in the USA, but I was very dissatisfied with Porsche, working with the same service person.

I think you could send the pen to a friend in USA, and they could deal with Chartpak. I didn't have, or need, a receipt.

Is your issue with Pel or the vendor do you think?

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

As off centre slits go, that's not too bad, cosmetically speaking. It is unfortunate that the nib decoration emphasises the flaw.

If this was my pen, it is the tipping I would be concerned about,. On how many planes is the slit off centre? Does it go straight down the middle of the tipping ball, or is it at a diagonal? I can't see the 'crooked' iridium attachment you refer to, most likely because of the way shooting through a loupe distorts anything not bang in the middle of the shot. can you describe it? Basically, you are more likely to get a replacement nib if you can demonstrate something that will limit functionality.

This is not to poo-poo your aesthetic concerns, especially at this price point, I agree with Paul.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

It's too bad that you got a Pelikan nib which has an off-centered slit. Your case for a nib replacement would be even stronger if it writes badly as well.

The problem of off-centered slits isn't too uncommon. Here is my Waterman Exception nib with an extremely off-centered slit. The original medium nib had baby bottom issues as well, so I sent it off to get retipped to a 1.1mm stub.

The pen itself had some cosmetic issues (lacquer in the cap cracked within two weeks of purchase) and Newell-Rubbermaid replaced the cap and barrel for free under warranty.

13649202713_7520006296_b.jpg

If I compare this nib with my other Pelikans (M1000's F, M800's EF, M600's EF and etc), this M1000-EF's issues are the first for me. As the tipping point is slightly scrooked and slit is not in the middle, it writes wider than usual for Pel's EF nib. As each tine's tipping point is not equal in size, this is an exepcted result. For an EF nib, the precision manufacturing is expected (at least in my book).

From the nib side up, the slit is slanted toward left, while the tipping point is slanted toward left as well.

As I could not make myself unknown on those issues, my take on the writing feel has already been affected negatively. The sounds the nib makes seem louder.... The slight feedback seems to be more pronounced than my other Pelikans.....

Here is the rough illustration of the nib.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4717_zps8c235f86.jpg

As an apt analogy, this is like buying a brand new luxaury car. Upon delivery, the bumper and hood are misaligned and the dealer is telling me he has repainted some parts of the car. Would you accept this? In case case, it is resounding no.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

As my M1000's nib was with some manufacturing imperfection or defects, I returned it to the retailer for the warranty repair, with the specific request for the replacement of the nib. The repair took more than 3 weeks and what I received was a nib adjustment as the repair. I am very disappointed with this outcome and decided to escalate this again with the retailer and Pelikan itself. If the pen is cheap, then, I will let it go. But, for the price range of the M1000 class fountain pens, I could not accept the repair less than the nib replacement.

The slit is not in the middle of the nib. As you can see, the slit was somewhat slanted. Look at the triangle imprint on the nib in the picture. Also, the slit in the tipping material is not in the middle.

It is difficult to see in the pix below. But, if you look real hard, you can see, the tipping material is attached in less than the perfect manner.

There is some space between the nib and the feed. I can see the empty space from the breezer hole. The nib should rest on the feed perfectly without space.

I am awaiting the reply from Pelikan. I hope they will do the right thing by replacing this defective nib with the new one. If they don't, this Pelikan will be my last purchase from this brand.

I certainly can sympathize. I think that if it writes within their tolerances then you will probably not be satisfied. Along with that you will have "wasted" more time with the pen away. I think I would send the pen to one of the several recommended nibmasters to have it adjusted or tuned to your desires. In the long run that will bring you the most satisfaction. Otherwise you could sell the pen and purchase one from the reputed shops that fine-tune the nibs before mailing them to you.

This is what I'm afraid of. I didn't email the person I recently bought an M800 from in time to ask specifically that the stripes on the body be straight and the nib slit be perfectly centered (Damn your shipping speed and efficiency!). I'm waiting anxiously for the pen to arrive and if I have the same problem you have I will be EXTREMELY irritated. I wish Pelikan would put more effort into making sure that everything is aligned. They know that they have a nib design which has criss-crossing lines at the nib slit! They designed it! I have another Pelikan nib for which, although the stamped lines and nib slit are aligned, the entire stamping of the nib is noticeably off center! This means that the tipping is uneven on each tine. The nib works, sure, but it looks incredibly sloppy! Not a good representation of the brand. Sadly, this is still within Pelikan's manufacturing tolerance and is an all too common occurrence. I can't see how this is good for Pelikan. It's a conspicuous lack of quality control. If you saw your friend's pen with this problem, would you want to buy from Pelikan? Oh, and by the way, the fact that so many of their pens have slanted stripes doesn't mean that their pens have 'character.' That word is too often used as a euphemism for defect.

Now that I have the Brown Tortoise, which is the only Pelikan finish I like enough to spend my money on, I'd glad I won't have to deal with this ridiculousness anymore. Love ya and hate ya Pelikan.

Hi

Just checked the nib on my M1000 and the slit on that one also is not dead central, but its still a buttery smooth wet writer so its not an issue for me.

Paul

If I compare this nib with my other Pelikans (M1000's F, M800's EF, M600's EF and etc), this M1000-EF's issues are the first for me. As the tipping point is slightly scrooked and slit is not in the middle, it writes wider than usual for Pel's EF nib. As each tine's tipping point is not equal in size, this is an exepcted result. For an EF nib, the precision manufacturing is expected (at least in my book).

From the nib side up, the slit is slanted toward left, while the tipping point is slanted toward left as well.

As I could not make myself unknown on those issues, my take on the writing feel has already been affected negatively. The sounds the nib makes seem louder.... The slight feedback seems to be more pronounced than my other Pelikans.....

Here is the rough illustration of the nib.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/YS2003/IMG_4717_zps8c235f86.jpg

As an apt analogy, this is like buying a brand new luxaury car. Upon delivery, the bumper and hood are misaligned and the dealer is telling me he has repainted some parts of the car. Would you accept this? In case case, it is resounding no.

You would be surprised just how many new cars, Luxury and not luxury get damaged repaired and repainted by the dealer before delivery, but the deference is they don't tell you what they had to fix before you picked it up, but then thats the difference between a products costing many thousands and a cheap (Relatively) Pen.

Why not just go back to the dealer and demand a refund if its not to an acceptable standard.

Paul

Why not just go back to the dealer and demand a refund if its not to an acceptable standard.

Paul

I will do that after giving the dealer / Pelikan one more chance. If the nib is not to be exchanged, I will return it on the ground the nib is defective. If that happens, I am afraid this would be my last Pelikan.

There are some replies on this thread indicating they don't see any problem. I respect your opinions, which I disagree completely with due respect; but, as I am the one who has paid for the M1000, I have the vested interest in correcting this situation with Pelikan.

Edited by Pen2009

I hope the issue can be resolved at the earliest.

Pens in the price range of the M1000 shouldn't have issues such as these, whether they're cosmetic or functional is a separate issue. This is a manufacturing defect, pure and simple.

I'll recommend talking to the distributor directly.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

I see a problem...the thing is not up to what is standard for an expensive pen....he can't even send it off to be repaired by someone who cares. The slit is off center.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Even if it writes well the owner has the right to ask for a nib replacement. 1 dollar pen also writes well but don't we pay top dollars for the aestethical aspects of high end pens? It's not a minor detail if you pay $600 for a pen. Would you accept scratches or dents on a brand new car thinking that it still drives well? My answer is, no!

I don't think that this is a major aestethical issue and even nibs should be allowed a little personality. The important thing is if it writes well.

If it absolutely has to be replaced, I would suggest asking them to give you another kind of nib (F, M, B, whatever). I believe that such an exchange falls under the normal Pelikan customer service. If they don't think that there is anything wrong with the nib you probably cannot convince them to give you another one in any other way.

Best regards and good luck

Ursus