The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Suggesstions For Beginner

ink cartridge beginner flow maintenance

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:29

quote:  DC Supershow needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed when you flush a pen and it NEVER dries on the page..

Gee sounds like it was good that I did NOT buy a bottle of that this past weekend.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

#42 Archman66

Archman66

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:50

@Inky! or anyone.  I only have one pen.  I've claculated that the 2ml samples from Goulet Pens will fill the converter twice.  If I ordered a dozen samples or so, will they keep in the vials until I've used up the sample that's in the pen?  It might take weeks to try them all.

#43 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 19:31

@Inky! or anyone.  I only have one pen.  I've claculated that the 2ml samples from Goulet Pens will fill the converter twice.  If I ordered a dozen samples or so, will they keep in the vials until I've used up the sample that's in the pen?  It might take weeks to try them all.

To save ink and speed up your ink testing, what you could do is dip the nib into the ink and let the ink load the feed.

In some pens that will be enough to write 1 or 2 pages.  That would be more than enough to see what the ink color is like. 

If that is too much, just dip the nib for a second or two.  That should be enough to write a few lines or more.

I use a Morriset dip pen for my ink testing, and all it is is a nib with a feed, no sac or cartridge to store ink.  And I load the ink by dipping the nib into the ink.

HOWEVER, there are situations where the ink flow behavior of the pen is not emulated by dipping the nib.  And the color of the ink line is different than when the ink is fed from the converter.  If the ink comes out looking dry, that is a hint that the feed is not behaving like a flowing pen.  This was the case when I tried dipping a Lamy 2000.

And yes, if you keep the cover on the sample vial tight, it should last for quite a while.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#44 rafizip

rafizip

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 00:02

I filled my Parker "Special" 51 today with Parker Quink Blue-Black; I was disappointed.  Using the same pen and paper, the Parker Quink B-B dries to a fairly light blue color, whereas my favorite, Waterman Blue-Black, dries to a much deeper, richer color - closer to black.

#45 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2014 - 15:26

2014-Ink_279.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, cartridge, beginner, flow, maintenance

Sponsored Content

|