Morbus Curiositas

Magenta (MAGENTA) and Turquoise (TÜRKIS) are likely no longer available today. As stated above, I bought them about 2 years ago at the same time I was buying 1 or 2 of the other De Atramentis Document Inks from Rolf Thiel (very unfortunately no longer in business) . He then offered me these 2 (Magenta and Turquoise) as inks which had once existed but were already in the process of being discontinued.... Sooo.... I said of course "YES".

Dear Lapis,

I have received an answer from Dr. Jansen concearning Dokument Inks.

The following colours are produced an will soon be on the De Atramentis website...

Blue

Dark blue

Turquoise

Magenta Black

But the best news is soon to come.....

A De Atramentis document ink GREEN is development.....

Cool! OR what? :-)

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbus Curiositas

• amberleadavis

• lapis

• WilsonCQB1911

Yes, super cool.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

I was unaware this ink even existed, and thanks to you, it's now on my purchase list. Thanks for the great review.

Gee.., I hope Goulet's will get it.

Dear Calhoun, Dear Medsen Fey.

Since you both liked the ink and Medsen was wondering if Goulet will get it, i hav telephoned with Dr. Jansen.

He doesn't know why Goulet does not have the ink listed. He told me that The Goulet company is a very nice and good client of his.

He advised to contact Goulet. You should ask for or e-mail Mr. Goulet or Mr Vaughn.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Peter :)

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

I was unaware this ink even existed, and thanks to you, it's now on my purchase list. Thanks for the great review.

Gee.., I hope Goulet's will get it.

Hello Friends,

I have just talked to Dr Jansen on the telephone.

A large shipment is going out to Goulet.... to fill up their De Atramentis stock.

If you are interested in the Document ink or other D A inks call or email Goulet and ask for mr. Goulet himself or for mr. Vaughn...

They can add it to their normal order.... This way you save loads on shipping costs from Europe

Regards Peter

Hi there! We hadn't started carrying the Document Inks at GouletPens.com yet because I know they were a bit more expensive (about $18.95 USD by the time we import it in) and I wasn't sure of the demand for them. However, it sounds like a lot of folks would be interested, so if you would like to purchase it, please let us know the colors you want and we'll look into carrying it ongoing. It takes about 2 months to get shipments in, so it would be later this summer until we would be stocking it on the site. You can email or DM me here. Thanks all :)

I have put "Document Ink Blue" into a third pen, a Georg Jensen sterling ciselé, Fine steel nib, and I see the same result: heavy bleed through on Rhodia 19 lined, and THAT is a rarity. Less heavy on Rhodia dot pad, and perhaps a little less on Clairefontaine writing paper.
I have two more pens ready flushed, but I really do not think there is any need to continue. I see little use for this ink on the paper I have available.

Water resistant it is, and likely also light resistant, permanent and stable. But persistent bleed through and the ever present hints of feathering – usually expressed in an overly wide line – make this a permanent ink I would not recommend.

Bleedthrough...

read my topic On permanent inks

Bleedthrough...

read my topic On permanent inks

Sure:

"The bleed through gets quite strong, when you use broader nibs on thin paper. This is not a failure but it is meant to do so. The ink has to drench the paper I order to prevent forgery. This way the texts cannot be manipulated without leaving traces.

There is a simple way to counter this. Use heavier paper >= 100 grams. On thinner paper use a fine nib and the bleed through is minimized and very acceptable."

I accept that. And it is useful to some people. It is a document ink after all, for archival and anti-forgery use. Except that to the ordinary user like me, the bleed through - as with most of my de Atramentis inks - prevents ordinary use. Meaning that most people shall have to watch out or they'll be severely disappointed. And I did apply the recommended Fine nib, and on Rhodia paper no less, only to experience quite strong bleed through. Practically no other ink in my possession does that.

[...]

I had wondered if the turquoise and magenta Document Inks used cyan and magenta pigments intended for CMYK print processes, but cybaea's review of Document Ink turquoise shows it is not cyan. Turquoise wouldn't be the first word that came into my head for that shade. Maybe it's the lack of colour calibration or correction, but cybaea's scan looks more like what I'd expect of turquoise mixed with around 15% black ink (compare to the Goulet swab and writing sample for Lamy turquoise for my expectation of turquoise).

[...]

I dug out the original and put a Pantone reference on it:

fpn_1400010621__da-document.jpg

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

I dug out the original and put a Pantone reference on it:

fpn_1400010621__da-document.jpg

Thanks Cybaea

• 2 months later...

For all who are interested in more De Atramentis Document inks...

Several new colours are now available

Here is an overview of al the colours

• Blue
  • Dark Blue (blue black)
  • Grey
  • Black (review will follow soon)
  • Brown
  • Green
  • Red
  • Magenta (Fuchsia)
  • Turqouise

I have reviewed the Brown and the Green ink

Just follow the link

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270697-de-atramentis-document-inks-brown-and-green/

Regards

Peter

Great job.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

That's an impressive test, with excellent results. I love having more choices for permanent ink. This looks like a winner.

That's an impressive test, with excellent results. I love having more choices for permanent ink. This looks like a winner.

Hi Jared I will send you a postcard with all the DA Document colours if you want.

This way you can judge colour, feathering (none) and Feathering (acceptable with M or Fine nibs)

• 4 years later...

Thank you for the great review. Prior to reading this review I hadn't heard of De Atramentis document inks. However, I've ordered a bottle today together with a pack of cartridges.

I must say it does seem a waste of Talisker whisky to put it on paper! All the other testing liquids I understand but Talisker whisky, for me who is a whisky lover, is a "bridge too far" ;-))

Live life, not long life